• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Decware folded horns

Pareto Pragmatic

I am not sure how it works for these folks, but often there is a distinction made for being in the presence of technology vs. actually using it. Like, for example, I doubt they are required to leave the room if someone turns on electric lights. So it's probably the same for a WiiM playing music or whatever. But they wouldn't be inclined to mess with it themselves, presumably.

Being around versus using is a good way to think about it. They do go outside their community after all.

Generally speaking, because different versions of their doctrines exist, they reject technology that would interfere with their chosen path, they adapt technology that does not interfere with their chosen path. And those choices are often on a case by case basis.

For example, many communities will have a single phone. They would never have them in the house (interferes with family life, invites the outside into the home). But a single phone allows those who they do business with to contact them without physically coming to the community. That physical entry is seen as more disruptive than a phone call, so the single phone is a good use of technology to preserve their way of life.

The Amish split from the Mennonites because they saw Mennonites as being too worldly. "Worldly" is the problem, not technology per se, though it has been a very long time since I did any research into the groups. So take that with a large grain of salt.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
The folded horns are complete! Here are some more photo's.
I'm very satisfied with the build and the sound, it took a couple of weeks for the drivers to relax and really perform.
I've tried powering then with a Decware SEUFO84 and later a Douk 300B. The Decware SEUFO84 wins on sonic performance but believe it or not the Douk 300B sounds real nice with my set of Lii S-10's in the stone open baffle.

The folded horns have a great stereo image and a lurking deep bass, that is interesting and pleasant to listen to. At 100 dB, the drivers are loud and sound best at a medium volume. My kids, who are musicians and love listening give these speakers two thumbs up! I will probably sell this set and build a more artsy set, adding a round stone (flat polished marble) front baffle and cherry veneer finish and they will weigh close to 200 lbs each. If you are considering building a set, the build is rather complicated and will keep you busy for awhile. I think even the Lii S-10 will sound great as an option to the P-10's.

View attachment 362220View attachment 362221View attachment 362222View attachment 362223View attachment 362224
Those look quite beautiful and imposing.

OP
J

JohnnyAudio

The folded horns are complete! Here are some more photo's.
I'm very satisfied with the build and the sound, it took a couple of weeks for the drivers to relax and really perform.
I've tried powering then with a Decware SEUFO84 and later a Douk 300B. The Decware SEUFO84 wins on sonic performance but believe it or not the Douk 300B sounds real nice with my set of Lii S-10's in the stone open baffle.

The folded horns have a great stereo image and a lurking deep bass, that is interesting and pleasant to listen to. At 100 dB, the drivers are loud and sound best at a medium volume. My kids, who are musicians and love listening give these speakers two thumbs up! I will probably sell this set and build a more artsy set, adding a round stone (flat polished marble) front baffle and cherry veneer finish and they will weigh close to 200 lbs each. If you are considering building a set, the build is rather complicated and will keep you busy for awhile. I think even the Lii S-10 will sound great as an option to the P-10's.

View attachment 362220View attachment 362221View attachment 362222View attachment 362223View attachment 362224

Living with Headwreckers

These Headwreckers have really grown on our family. The kids like them, I know this because they now choose to be in the room with the Headwreckers and not the main music room. The kids ask for music to be played on them.

The folded horn design is reminiscent of theater sound systems of the early days when only tube amplifiers were used in theaters and horn style designs were used to amplify and throw the sound to the audience. So, I'm calling the Headwrecker sound "old fashion" and I like that. The folded horn cabinets are mechanical amplifiers make of wood and have a pleasant organic sound. The bass comes from down in the throat and the high frequency coming from the P-10's is of a modern refined sound so the speakers are a welcome addition to our home sound system. They are quite different from the sterile sound of the small white boxes with DSP controls that force the sound to comply. I cringe when people say "sound bar".

The kids understand this well because they are both piano players and learned to play on a real wooden upright. We bought an electric piano and they quit playing it because it didn't resonate like the wooden piano did.

Even with the 45' room that they are in, I get the feeling that the Headwreckers would be even more happy in a larger room. At first, I thought that I would be finally be satisfied with a full range that could produce enough natural bass that we could dispose of the subwoofers but one of the kids said, "not enough bass" as she was used to the subs in the main music room. So, I may add a sub to each side to satisfy. I am thinking of adding Carver Sunfire's or perhaps build some new subs with the larger Lii low freq drivers like the W-15. The W-15 has a sensitivity of (2.83V / 1m): 95.6 dB (dual coil). I'm concerned that 95.6 dB is going to play little brother to the 100 dB P-10. I suppose I could build a folded horn to enhance the sound but having a house full of big black boxes may have people questioning our sense of decor.

These are all subjective options and no scientific measurements have been made just listening to the speakers. I'm enjoying the feedback I get from the kids friends, I ask them, " what sounds best to you?"

So far, it's been the Headwreckers.

OP
J

JohnnyAudio

well, that opens a loophole since they come in all kind of sizes lol

Perfect 4th are really amazing! An inspiration to musicians everywhere... shows what can be done when you put you mind to it.

Top Bottom