• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Deciding on Genelec model: 8030C vs 8331A

ferrellms

I'm considering buying some Genelec speakers, but I'm confused about the sound quality of the higher models like the 8331A compared to the much cheaper 8030C. I've searched this site but can't seem to find a discussion about this. My general question is around the spinorama results: both speakers have similar preference scores (well the 8030C and 8341A), especially when coupled with a subwoofer.

Here are some details of how I intend to use them:
  • Upstream equipment is a MiniDSP DDRC-22D using Dirac Live v3 for room correction. This feeds a miniDSP 2x4 for subwoofer crossover. I like Dirac and don't really need Genelec software for DSP.
  • Subwoofer is a Rythmik F12SE, crossed over at 80 Hz (24 db per octave slope).
  • Genelecs will be replacing Sierra 2-EX speakers. On stands the tweeters will be at ear height.
  • These are for a small room with 1.5 m listening distance. This seems to be in the sweet spot for either Genelec speaker. I only care about the sound at the listening location. Any speakers I'm considering will play loud enough.
Is there something not in the spinorama results that makes the higher end Genelecs sound better in such a configuration? What benefit does the coaxial nature of the Ones confer? Is this just for better driver integration near-field? Is 1.5 m far enough away to eliminate that benefit?

Sorry if this has been covered before and I just missed it. If so, if someone can provide a link to a discussion I'm happy to delete this post. Thanks in advance.

For what it's worth I'm also considering Neumann KH 80 or KH 120 speakers.
The newer ones feature GLM which is a real advantage. They will also play louder and will sound more even around the room. BUT the older would sound similar and good (I have 8040As), too.

Top Bottom