• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8030C too hissy - what to get instead - KH80, 120? Paired with Presonus sub8.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The largest contributor to noisy, hissy, active so-called wannabe "professional" monitors are the cheap power amplifier stages and direct driver connection to tweeters. Not the line stages or their gain settings. Also, the A/D-D/A-DSP stages.

Zensō

Major Contributor
The largest contributor to noisy, hissy, active so-called wannabe "professional" monitors are the cheap power amplifier stages and direct driver connection to tweeters. Not the line stages or their gain settings. Also, the A/D-D/A-DSP stages.
I guess I wouldn’t consider Genelec 8030C’s “wannabe professional monitors”, but I’m just a “wannabe music producer”, so what do I know? ;)

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess I wouldn’t consider Genelec 8030C’s “wannabe professional monitors”, but I’m just a “wannabe music producer”, so what do I know? ;)
They aren't. I have never owned one, but they are pretty much universally acclaimed. Honestly, I think there is simply something mismatched in the setup, and I suspect it may be at the source - and the Genelecs are just doing their job bringing it to your attention.

Last edited:

Zensō

Major Contributor
They aren't. I have never owned one, but they are pretty much universally acclaimed. Honestly, I think there is simply something mismatched in your setup, and I suspect it may be at the source - and the Genelecs are just doing their job bringing it to your attention.
You’ve mistaken me for the OP. I’m having no problems whatsoever with my Genelecs, a very happy customer here.

Avp1

I do not know what kind of amplifiers are used in Genelec, but I never had issues with cheap M-Audio and Fostex monitors, which I used as desktop computer speakers (sitting 3 feet away). Neither I hear hiss from large ATC monitors in my listening room (sitting 9 feet away). Though all of them use class AB linear amplifiers.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I do not know what kind of amplifiers are used in Genelec

Their low end models use a inexpensive two channel Class D chip amp directly connected to each driver. It's rated at 50W per driver in the 8030c but that's at an intolerable level of distortion. The tweeter amp would never get close to 50W (more like 5W) unless you decided to run a 10kHz sine at equiv 0dBFS through the speaker.

For low-medium levels on a desktop, they are fine, if you can handle the residual hiss. Clearly the OP wants something better doesn't he? Not that class AB automatically means lower hiss. Any amplifier you jam in an active speaker is likely to be a massive compromise. What external amplification and passive gives is a likely lower residual to start with, and a likely padded down tweeter in the passive Xover which also helps with noise. But you lose the integrated/tuned/eq benefits.

Swings and roundabouts. :)

Avp1

Their low end models use a inexpensive two channel Class D chip amp directly connected to each driver. It's rated at 50W per driver in the 8030c but that's at an intolerable level of distortion. The tweeter amp would never get close to 50W (more like 5W) unless you decided to run a 10kHz sine at equiv 0dBFS through the speaker.

For low-medium levels on a desktop, they are fine, if you can handle the residual hiss. Clearly the OP wants something better doesn't he? Not that class AB automatically means lower hiss. Any amplifier you jam in an active speaker is likely to be a massive compromise. What external amplification and passive gives is a likely lower residual to start with, and a likely padded down tweeter in the passive Xover which also helps with noise. But you lose the integrated/tuned/eq benefits.

Abovementioned cheap (under $300) M-Audio and Fostex use chip amps (TDA7xxx) directly connected to drivers. Hiss is only heard in less than 4" from tweeter.

Last edited:

Zensō

Major Contributor

The tweeter amp in my Adam A5X is a class A/B and it has lower hiss than the Genelec 8030C. For me, they both can get far more than loud enough in the near field without distorting, and the hiss is not audible at my listening distance, which is around 80 cm. I was just surprised by the OP’s complaint because it’s such a non-issue for me. I understand though, that everyone has different hearing and sensitivities.

Last edited:

Curvature

Major Contributor
I agree there's a more fundamental problem. These monitors are built to a defined spec. They are definitely not overbuilt, even as much as @Pearljam5000 would want them to be.

I remember an aside in a DSP textbook where the engineer author complained about absurd audiophile requirements for unrealistic dynamic range and other things they would never use to the fullest extent. For him allowing more headroom than necessary was wasteful. Too bad I can't recall which one.

Hiss in active monitors has not really improved over the last 10 years or longer. It's fairly embarrassing.

Curvature

Major Contributor
The tweeter amp in my Adam A5X is a class A/B and it has lower hiss than the Genelec 8030C. For me, they both can get far more than loud enough in the near field without distorting, and the hiss is not audible at my listening distance, which is around 80 cm. I was just surprised at the OP’s complaint because it’s such a non-issue for me. I understand though, that everyone has different hearing and sensitivities.
All the Adams I've ever used hissed at around 1m, X and V versions. I've never used them at longer distances. With music the hiss was masked.

Zensō

Major Contributor
All the Adams I've ever used hissed at around 1m, X and V versions. I've never used them at longer distances. With music the hiss was masked.
Interesting. My A5X’s are virtually silent even within a few inches. It could be age-related hearing loss I suppose.

Last edited:

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Most actives use cheap class D. I would love to see cost of the "amps." Probably same cost as Number 1 at McDonald's.

Curvature

Major Contributor
Interesting. My A5X’s are virtually silent even within a few inches. It could be age-related hearing loss I suppose.
Maybe there's bigger variation in production than we're realizing.

unpluggged

X and V versions
There are no such "versions". There is AX series (also the older A series and the current A series), and "V" in model numbers indicates vertical orientation (alongside "H" for horizontal), like T7V, A7V, S2V or A77H, A8H, S3H, and it does not represent any particular model range of monitors.

OP
baldheadbiomed
Thanks for the tips btw, will try them once I get home (end of the month lol), I believe the hiss is there even without inputs connected but maybe changing sens can still help.

I would love them to get hiss-free-enough, otherwise they seem like the best studio monitor for the buck at that size at only 17.8 cm deep.

Last edited:

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Two years back when I bought some nearfield speakers for my office I ended up with KH80 for the exact same reason that the 8030 where too noisy for me when idle and distracted me from office work.
So I guess the 120ii and 150 should be equally quiet.

OP
baldheadbiomed
Two years back when I bought some nearfield speakers for my office I ended up with KH80 for the exact same reason that the 8030 where too noisy for me when idle and distracted me from office work.
So I guess the 120ii and 150 should be equally quiet.
Happy with your choice?

Top Bottom