• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8030C too hissy - what to get instead - KH80, 120? Paired with Presonus sub8.

Avp1

In the abscence of signal their hiss is noticeable in a desktop setup, in contrast with Neumanns.
Then they cannot qualify as good design. Surprisingly no one here tests active speakers for noise level at 3'. Significant hiss should disqualify speaker immediately regardless of good other parameters.

Generally noise from class D amplifiers should always be a concern. High frequency noise (most amplifiers have between 0.25 and 0.5 volts at speaker output) quickly becomes a problem if it gets into amplifier input where it gets converted to audible range due to limited slew rate of circuit.

Last edited:

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Genelec says loud hiss is not normal.

I have 8361A’s, no hiss audible unless you place your ear right next to the tweeter. I had a pair of 1032A’s (Class AB) and they were just as silent.
I have a pair of JBL 705P’s (Class D) that are a little noisier than my Genelecs and in the past I had a pair of the highly regarded JBL 6328P’s (class AB amps) and my son could hear the hiss from them across the room, so AB amps don’t guarantee silence and class D amps don’t condemn you to bad self-noise.

Top Bottom