• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Deciding Between NCX500, Purifi Eigentakt and Nilai

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, that's why I'm asking from other people that have NCx500 if it's "normal".
Tibor (from Apollon), and he's not the only one, told me that for the same price it was better choise to take an NCx500 amp (better price to performance ratio).
I just didn't think there was such a difference in heat with the Purifi (and in my case I only had 3 modules with a 1200W power supply compared to 5 modules here and a 3000W power supply that I have now).

People who haven't done the kill-a-watt measurements think since the NCx500 offers more power on paper than Purifi for about the same price, then the NCx500 is a better deal. They typically don't understand the Purifi builds are using almost half the power while idle and at normal listening volumes or don't consider that important.

Higher power use translates into more heat. You should always expect a NCx500 amp design to run warmer and consume more power than Purifi. I'm sure you noticed a big difference in heat between your Purifi amp and the NCx500. It's to be expected. More NCx500 modules translate to even more heat. It's simple math.

ahard

The day has finally come. My Apollon amp is arriving today. It would have been here last week, but as they were boxing it up the found a problem with the paint on one of the panels....so they had to send the panel back to the painter. For the people that maybe thinking about ordering from Apollon, keep in mind that they're not the fastest builder and if you're impatient you may want to look elsewhere. Also, you will definitely need to stay on top of your order just to make sure that there are no delays. For the curious folks, I've placed my shipping timeline below so that you'll have some insight into how long it takes for the product to arrive using the 'fastest' shipping option Apollon offers on its website.

4/16/2024
07:25 AM
On the Way
Loaded on Delivery Vehicle
Tampa, FL, United States
4/16/2024
05:58 AM

Processing at UPS Facility
Tampa, FL, United States
4/16/2024
03:26 AM

Arrived at Facility
Tampa, FL, United States
4/16/2024
02:12 AM

Departed from Facility
Orlando, FL, United States
4/15/2024
07:52 PM

Arrived at Facility
4/15/2024
07:44 PM

Departed from Facility
4/15/2024
06:01 PM

Arrived at Facility
4/15/2024
04:23 PM

Departed from Facility
Louisville, KY, United States
4/15/2024
12:43 PM

Import Scan
4/15/2024
12:27 PM
Cleared Import Customs
Your package has cleared customs and is on the way.
4/15/2024
08:17 AM

Import C.O.D. (ICOD) charges have been paid or billed.
4/15/2024
08:03 AM

Import charges are due for this package. Select Pay Now (where available) or pay at delivery.
4/15/2024
08:03 AM

Duties or taxes are due on this package.
4/15/2024
07:30 AM

Your delivery will be rescheduled.
4/14/2024
12:20 PM

Import Scan
4/14/2024
05:54 AM

Departed from Facility
Koeln, Germany
4/13/2024
10:59 AM

UPS has received the information needed to submit your package for clearance.
4/13/2024
10:45 AM

UPS initiated contact with receiver or importer for clearance information. Once received, UPS will submit for clearance.
4/13/2024
01:08 AM

We have your package
Koeln, Germany
4/12/2024
06:50 PM

Your package is on the way
4/12/2024
04:23 PM

The package is at the clearing agency awaiting final release.
4/12/2024
03:36 PM

Pickup Scan
Brnik, Slovenia
4/5/2024
11:34 PM
Label Created
Shipper created a label, UPS has not received the package yet.
Slovenia

Djosh

Hello everyone,

I need your help.
Indeed, I'm looking for 3 monoblock to power my 3 B&W CT7.3 (impedance of 8 Ohms but going down to 3 Ohms) for a Home Cinema use, in a very damped room of 25m2.

I'm hesitating between Hypex Nilai, NCx500, and Purifi 1ET7040 modules. All with a Hypex1200 SMPS.

From what I can see, the Nilai can't deliver more than 500W into 2 Ohms (whatever the THD level), unlike the Purifi, which can deliver 700W into 2 Ohms (1% THD). However, the Nilai is more powerful than the Purifi between 8 Ohms and 4 Ohms.

On the subject of the NCx500, I asked Hypex for their opinion, and they told me that the Nilai was much better than the NCx500, especially in terms of feedback and buffering.
Which surprises me, considering the ASR measurements.

And to complicate matters, many say that Purifi technology is more advanced than Hypex, and that Purifi sound rendering is > Hypex.

Really, I'm completely lost...

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello everyone,

I need your help.
Indeed, I'm looking for 3 monoblock to power my 3 B&W CT7.3 (impedance of 8 Ohms but going down to 3 Ohms) for a Home Cinema use, in a very damped room of 25m2.

I'm hesitating between Hypex Nilai, NCx500, and Purifi 1ET7040 modules. All with a Hypex1200 SMPS.

From what I can see, the Nilai can't deliver more than 500W into 2 Ohms (whatever the THD level), unlike the Purifi, which can deliver 700W into 2 Ohms (1% THD). However, the Nilai is more powerful than the Purifi between 8 Ohms and 4 Ohms.

On the subject of the NCx500, I asked Hypex for their opinion, and they told me that the Nilai was much better than the NCx500, especially in terms of feedback and buffering.
Which surprises me, considering the ASR measurements.

And to complicate matters, many say that Purifi technology is more advanced than Hypex, and that Purifi sound rendering is > Hypex.

Really, I'm completely lost...

First, I would worry less about the quoted difference in watts delivered between these three amps. In most cases, your average use will be less than 10W. Focusing on the total watts available for each of these on paper won't really help you find the best amp from a usage perspective. All of these amps will work and it's likely you won't hear a difference even if you AB them. So, how do you decide?

As sound won't be the determining factor I went with other metrics. The Purifi amp runs measurably cooler and is almost twice as energy efficient at idle to normal volumes than the Hypex designs - and it sounds wonderful. For me this major difference was worth focusing on, when deciding between the three. Lower electricity usage and a design that doesn't heat up is a crazy good combination for an audio amp! Compare that with others using fans (more electricity) to try to keep the NCx500 amps just as cool.

Djosh

I don't understand when you say that the average use is 10W. That really doesn't sound like much to me...

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't understand when you say that the average use is 10W. That really doesn't sound like much to me...
You probably have underestimated how low the average power required is for normal music listening. With 10 W using 2 speakers with the typical sensitivity of 86 dBSPL at 1 W, 1m free field, the in-room average SPL at 12 ft distance is about 91 dBSPL. That is well into the hazardous for hearing health level.

In-Room_SPL.png

exposure-level-high-res.jpg

OP
Jim Creek

Jim Creek

I’m the guy that started this thread. If anyone is interested to know what I chose, it was the VTV Purifi Eigentakt. I puchased it from VTV Amplifier in July 2023. Warren shipped the Eigentakt the same day I placed the order. It took two days for delivery from Ohio to Wisconsin via UPS.
The amp is performing wonderfully in my stereo system, dead quiet, great detail, barely gets warm, very efficient. It comes with SpeakON connectors which are excellent (Also has banana connectors). The price dropped since I purchased mine, from $1000 down to $889. I think its a high value IMHO.

My speakers are Monitor Audio Silver 100 gen6. They are rated at 88db. The Eigentakt easily drives these to ear splitting levels cleanly. The Eigentakt and Silver 100 speaks work well together.

Vhond

Do you coincidentally know why VTV doesn't make their own versions of Nilai?

OP
Jim Creek

Jim Creek

I do not know the reason. Drop them an email. Warren responds very quickly.

Balthazar B

Because to this point Nilai distribution has been focused on the DIY market. There are a couple of manufacturers/assemblers who sell completed DIY builds, but until Hypex makes the parts available through normal wholesale channels, it'll continue to be more constrained. Not unlike how Purifi Eigentakt was during the first 6-9 months after it was introduced as a generally available eval kit.

ahard

I gotta say that I'm loving my Apollon NCx500 premium amp. I've played several movies since Thursday including Dune and Thor: Love and Thunder and it's not getting hot to the touch. It was barely warm during Dune and Thor and it was less hot than my class A/B 5 channel Marantz amp that I use for my Atmos ceiling speakers.

Balthazar B

Yeah but Audiophonics for instance has their own implementation of the stereo version
view over here
Sure, and there were customizations of the Purifi platform, but it was by no means in wide commercial distribution by more than 3-4 amp mfrs for several months after it was introduced. I think NAD was the first major manufacturer to use it, and arguably it was a niche technology until that point. So today, about a year after Nilai was released, there's Audiophonics, Deer Creek, and Apollon selling complete amplifiers (AFAIK; sorry if I left anyone out). Would be nice to have more, but perhaps Hypex has signalled to its OEMs that based on feedback from the DIY crowd, there'll be a tweaked revision coming soon which will be in full commercial distribution?

Vhond

I don't know if Nilai is going to be a commercial used technology (Hypex marketed the NCoreX for that) and I hope they will come with an even better version of Nilai (although I think that wouldn't be soon).

thezoneC30

Hi !

I have a little question, I have the 5 channel NCx500 model, and the case is very hot (to the touch) in use, like 45/46°C.
It is placed in a TV cabinet (which is 6cm away from the wall, not stuck to) with the back completely open as you can see in the photo.

I had a 3-channel Audiophonics Purifi 1ET400 which ran much cooler. But Tibor told me that the NCx500 runs hotter and furthermore, I have 5 channels and a bigger power supply here. I would just like to be reassured that I am not the only one with this model that has such a high temperature in use.

Did you noticed that too ? Thanks.

Hey there, I also have a 3-channel Audiophonics Purifi 1ET400 and it runs so cool regardless of how hard it is driven. In completel opposite to that I also have a 6ch Hypex NC252Mp from Buckeye and that thing runs hot as hell even if it is not being used and just on!

I'm guessing it has something to do with the difference in cases, Audiophonics is heavy and feels like it's made from quality materials, whereas Buckeye is............well a tin container basically. Pretty budget.

Top Bottom