• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAP or dedicated DAC for home listening?

chriskilbourn

I need a DAC that I can consider my "end game" have a budget of ~$1,300-1,500.

So, I figure I should either purchase either a...
1. High-end DAP (ex. A&K, Questyle) that can act as my DAC and music server/streamer, or
2. Dedicated non-portable DAC (ex. RME ADI-2 DAC) that I'd connect to my computer.
The downside with option 2 is that it's not mobile and I'd be using the Macbook (that I work with to edit video) to play the music, which I assume could cause some noise/performance issues.

What do you all think?
Would I expect to see the DACs inside high-end DAPs much worse than dedicated DACs regarding SINAD measurements?

My current setup:
  • Macbook pro
  • THX AAA 789
  • Focal Elear and a few others
Side note- I dislike the aesthetics of most sub $500 DAPs.
So, I'm not really looking to split my budget between getting both. Better to just get the best single unit possible and call it my endgame :)

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I'm 65.91 and not thinking "endgame" quite yet, although I do tend to keep whatever I get for a long time...

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I would get a nice desktop DAC. And if you need something portable, get a small one for that use. I worry about DAPs reliability and long term support.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Since you already have the THX, I would say save the money and get a SMSL SU-8 and get a cheap portable DAC such as the Sabaj DA3 or Fiio K3 should you want to go portable without the headphone amp.

Willem

Major Contributor
The problem with streamers of one kind or another is that they need applications for specific sources such as Spotify, Tidal, TuneIn etc. As yet there are only three quite universal standards: Sonus, Airplay and Chromecast. It will be attractive for any content provider to write an application for these standards, but not for any of the many other systems. So for those, it is up to the hardware manufacturer to deliver, and provide long term support for such applications. The story of brand specific content applications for so called smart TVs is a sad example of what can happen. This is why I opted for a Chromecast Audio and a good separate DAC. If Google one day discontinues its support for the Chromecast Audio, I will have wasted only $35.

Erik

It's better to stay away from A&K products, they are very far from being "high-end".

akdaps.png

https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/manufacturer-reports.php?manufi=10&img=1

Fernando

Forum Donor
Really very revealing.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
It's better to stay away from A&K products, they are very far from being "high-end".

View attachment 24431
https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/manufacturer-reports.php?manufi=10&img=1

Am I reading these graphs correctly if I say they are not doing well for THD at low impedance figures but seem to do fairly at high impedance loads (in general ) ? None of the 30 Ohms curves droop below -90dB but the 300 Ohm ones seem to do decently at low output levels of 200mV ?

The Apple iPhone 5S seems to do much better comparatively at low impedance loads in terms of THD.

OP
chriskilbourn

chriskilbourn

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

headwhacker

Forum Donor
Thank you so much for providing this!
Is there a place I can find a ranking of the highest performing DAPs to see what I should get as a DAP solution instead?

If you want the best UI/features and less pain/bugs. Only AK comes close to Apple's iPod. But if you want the best DAP measured objectively, you can check out questyle's DAPs (QP1R has been measured by steophile). But downside is it only has the basic of player/app.

Most boutique DAP manufacturer claim good objective/measured specs but without independent measurements, it's just a leap of faith. iBasso/Fiio offers the swiss army knifes of the DAP world. But their software is just buggy as hell.

I wish for a DAP with the UI/features of an AK with the hardware of the questyle.

OP
chriskilbourn

chriskilbourn

If you want the best UI/features and less pain/bugs. Only AK comes close to Apple's iPod. But if you want the best DAP measured objectively, you can check out questyle's DAPs (QP1R has been measured by steophile). But downside is it only has the basic of player/app.

Most boutique DAP manufacturer claim good objective/measured specs but without independent measurements, it's just a leap of faith. iBasso/Fiio offers the swiss army knifes of the DAP world. But their software is just buggy as hell.

I wish for a DAP with the UI/features of an AK with the hardware of the questyle.
Yes, this is exactly what I am looking for as well. I look forward to when we will have a full collection of independent DAP measurements. :)

GioF71

Forum Donor
I need a DAC that I can consider my "end game" have a budget of ~$1,300-1,500.

So, I figure I should either purchase either a...
1. High-end DAP (ex. A&K, Questyle) that can act as my DAC and music server/streamer, or
2. Dedicated non-portable DAC (ex. RME ADI-2 DAC) that I'd connect to my computer.
The downside with option 2 is that it's not mobile and I'd be using the Macbook (that I work with to edit video) to play the music, which I assume could cause some noise/performance issues.

What do you all think?
Would I expect to see the DACs inside high-end DAPs much worse than dedicated DACs regarding SINAD measurements?

My current setup:
  • Macbook pro
  • THX AAA 789
  • Focal Elear and a few others
Side note- I dislike the aesthetics of most sub $500 DAPs.
So, I'm not really looking to split my budget between getting both. Better to just get the best single unit possible and call it my endgame :)

After having bought a few DAPs in time, the latest being the Fiio X5 (1st gen) I gave up on those. In every relavant scenario, I end up listening to the dap in quite noisy environments: train/metro and, god forbid, airplane.
So IMO they are not worth a lot of money. Not saying I would not have at least one but I would not spend a lot on those things.
My conclusion might be different if you have a lot of chances of listening out of home but in a silent environment.
So to answer your question, I'd be looking for a desktop DAC and I would stick to what has been suggested (it's also relatively cheap!).

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am happy with my Shanling M3s. I think has better measures than A&K.

https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/amp/shanling-m3s.php

Another vote for the Shanling M3s. I bought one in clearance for £170, I am reluctant to pay a lot for battery powered portable devices as I'm fed up of the batteries dying after 2 - 3 years (or getting so short legged as to be useless) and finding out that the cost of replacing the battery makes buying a replacement unit just as attractive. At £170 if I get 2 - 3 years use out of the M3s I'll be OK with the price paid and it is a very nicely made, sweet sounding DAP with more than sufficient volume for me.

Top Bottom