• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Danley Sound Labs SH50

schlager

Are there any horn-systems, with directivity control starting from 100Hz (both horizontal and vertical), that would look nice in a domestic environment?

This has been on my mind for few months now since i'm running out of WAF points with dull boxes with visible drivers. but at the same time the SH50 is too big (not really the biggest issue, i understand horns need to be big), too expensive, and too visually invasive for a living space.
Yes, if you are up to the challenge to make them yourself. I did a 3 way synergy horn measuring 135 cm width and 85 cm height. That would suggest a horizontal pattern control to under 100 hz. A horn with vertical pattern control to under 100 hz would be even bigger, no way around it. Cardioid speakers can have pattern control under 100 hz, but they are not horns.

A big WE 12 or 15 horn could probably have directivity below 100 hz.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, if you are up to the challenge to make them yourself. I did a 3 way synergy horn measuring 135 cm width and 85 cm height. That would suggest a horizontal pattern control to under 100 hz. A horn with vertical pattern control to under 100 hz would be even bigger, no way around it. Cardioid speakers can have pattern control under 100 hz, but they are not horns.

A big WE 12 or 15 horn could probably have directivity below 100 hz.
The question was something that would look nice in a domestic environment ;) 135 cm width would not qualify for most people I would guess. Never mind a massive WE horn. For a normal domestic environment, the pain starts at about 30 cm in width or so? Probably less in many cases. I for one would not even have room for 135 cm wide speakers unless I would trade in the TV for a 14" model. Priorities...

schlager

Well, if you are serious about your audio, you do of course have a dedicated listening room and what looks nice, is pretty much in the eyes of the beholder ;)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, if you are serious about your audio, you do of course have a dedicated listening room and what looks nice, is pretty much in the eyes of the beholder ;)
That makes it even less domestic, doesn't it? And not everyone has that luxury.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
That makes it even less domestic, doesn't it? And not everyone has that luxury.
It's the audiophile black hole.

How to proclaim happiness in acoustics that greatly degrade the response in the low frequencies?
It will remain a mystery to me

schlager

Horns/domestic/WAF just doesn't resonate I guess. The laws of physic are hard to break, but may be bend a little perhaps.

schlager

It's the audiophile black hole.

How to proclaim happiness in acoustics that greatly degrade the response in the low frequencies?
It will remain a mystery to me
The mystery is easily solved, as bass below 100 hz is predominantly minimum phase behavior, so you can EQ the peaks and lightly fill in the dips, if you have the headroom. Or use multiple subs to even out the response. So no problem in getting nice even bass response, even in small rooms.

Top Bottom