• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC for subwoofer(s) only

Bhh

Forum Donor
I currently use and nanoDigi (fully-digital, no analog) miniDSP between a Chromecast Audio and a Rotel 2-channel amp with a fully digital signal path from the CCA to the Rotel which handles the DAC. I am getting ready to begin integrating a pair of subs and the plan was originally to drive the subs through the amp’s pre-outs so the mini-Dsp would handle room correction for the subs along with some B&W “flaw repair” on the main speakers.

The drawback to his approach is that I can’t high-pass the main speakers since the dsp is sending both full-frequency channels through the amp which also handles volume control.

It occurred to me this evening that if I add a DAC between the miniDSP and the subs, I would have the ability to process the signals between the subs and mains independently so I would pick up a few extra PEQ channels on the subs and the ability to high-pass the mains. Seems like a fair amount of benefit for a modestly price DAC. The miniDSP will have to have to handle volume control which is doable with my harmony remote.

Anyway, is there something specific I should look for in a low-frequency only DAC? The input would be SPDIF out of the miniDSP and I was eyeing the Topping D30 as the price and feature-set seems appropriate for this use case. Any benefit to moving up the ladder to a D50? I figure distortion and such is already pretty high down in that frequency range and noise shouldn’t be much of an issue so would a $10 SPDIF to RCA L/R “converter” work just as well?

https://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Converter-Simultaneous-Headphone-VHD-D2AC/dp/B007KXI2R8?th=1

Thanks for getting this far if you made it through all of that, lol.

Last edited:

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't speak too scientifically, but I would at least go a step above the 10 dollar DAC. They could have low output or something wrong. A d10 is plenty. I use a grace balanced DAC for my sub because I always get issues with rca.

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I recommend the ExtremPro X1.
Inexpensive and impressive sound.
Bass is very precise.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I currently use Topping D30 for my desktop subs. I didn’t need balanced out so it works fine. I think a solid output level is key, followed by low noise.

A800

Pimping your product? Clearly this will not work in any way whatsoever for this application.

It's not my product.
For me it's just the deal of the century.

TomB19

I currently use Topping D30 for my desktop subs. I didn’t need balanced out so it works fine. I think a solid output level is key, followed by low noise.

Is noise relevant in a sub-only application?

sejarzo

Forum Donor
It's not my product.
For me it's just the deal of the century.

Whatever, it is utterly incapable of filling Bhh's needs for a DAC with SPDIF input.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Question:

What controls your volume? Not sure if it is you miniDSP or the Rotel .. If it is the miniDSP then find the cheapest DAC with spdif input you can find... many powered subs specs full output at 1 V...
I wouldn't spend much more than $50 for this ... with @0 being quite sufficient for the purpose ...

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This Prozor would work if Volume is from the miniDSP ...
Cheap < $15...Don't know how reliable it is.

OP
B

Bhh

Forum Donor
Hi guys, I was enjoying the warm weather alone in the woods today. Felt great to be outside!

Thanks for all the additional recommendations. @TimW and @FrantzM Most of the volume control is via our phones within Spotify but yes, analog/remote control volume would change from the Rotel to the miniDSP. We use a Harmony remote to control everything so I can swap out which device the volume buttons control on the remote to keep things as transparent as possible for the wife.

The sub(s) is the Rythmik L12 Amir just reviewed, literally the same sub. Supposed to arrive Monday.

I’m also going to need a USB -> Toslink/SPDIF converter also so I can route my REW sweeps through the miniDSP to confirm changes. The current sweeps use my laptop headphone out to a pair of RCAs into an AUX on the Rotel but I’m going to need to route those through the dsp also. So many little converter boxes!

Last edited:

sejarzo

Forum Donor

deafenears

Forum Donor
The sub(s) is the Rythmik L12 Amir just reviewed, literally the same sub. Supposed to arrive Monday.

I’m also going to need a USB -> Toslink/SPDIF converter also so I can route my REW sweeps through the miniDSP to confirm changes. The current sweeps use my laptop headphone out to a pair of RCAs into an AUX on the Rotel but I’m going to need to route those through the dsp also. So many little converter boxes!
How many subs do you plan on having? Would replacing it with the MiniDSP 2x4 HD be an option? It would be an all in one solution with the CCA directly connected to the 2x4HD via the TOSLINK port, computer running REW into the 2x4HD via the USB port, Rotel amp and subwoofer via the analog RCA outputs.

Also have the option to upgrade the 2x4HD to Dirac in the future.

Top Bottom