• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cyrus CDi player not outputting 16 bit data to Benchmark DAC3

buttlep

Hi,

Following some help on this forum I purchased a Benchmark LA4 and DAC3B.

When I use the digital output (coaxial or optical) of my Cyrus CDi the Benchmark DAC has no led indicators lit for the bit depth. According to Benchmark this means that the input its getting is below 16 bits.

I contacted Benchmark and they suggested trying a DVD player or something else with a digital output. They wanted to confirm that the DAC wasn't at fault. I tried My Sony x800 HD Player and this worked fine. I also had no issue using the USB input from a laptop. Both caused the 16 bit indicator to come on.

I've asked Cyrus if they have any idea what's going on but am still waiting for a response.

I'm wondering if anyone could offer some insight as to what is actually coming out of my Cyrus CDi if it's below 16 bit? It seems to sound ok...

Thanks

Paul

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I don't know anything about that equipment but it doesn't seem possible that it would be below 16-bits. CDs are 16-bits and there's nothing in the "high fidelity" world that's less than 16-bits. You can be using less than 16-bits at lower volume but it should be at-least a 16-bit format.

Lossy formats (MP3, AAC, AC-3, etc.) don't have a fixed bit-depth but the dynamic range is effectively more than 16-bits (and maybe more than 24-bits). But I don't think your DAC can decode those, so any decoding would have to be done in advance.

OP
B

buttlep

DVDdoug thanks for the reply. The Benchmark DAC is a fairly simple device in use. It takes in standard inputs SPDIF coaxial/Toslink and USB and turns them into an analogue output. No decoding of file formats or anything.

I got a response from Cyrus. They just said that CDs are 16 bit and that what the CDi output is. No speculation on why my LED doesn't light up.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with either device. Sadly though, I'm the kind of guy who gets bothered about stuff like this.

OP
B

buttlep

I've been fiddling.

I've now used dBPoweramp to rip most of my CD collection to FLAC. I have been trying out listening to the FLAC rips using Audirvana. Outputting through my MacBook using a printer cable with an apple USB adapter.

I'm pretty sure I have my MacBook/Audirvana setup in such a way that it shouldn't be doing anything to the output. My DAC seems to receive files I play in the correct bit depth and frequency. I've even downloaded some HiRes stuff through Qobuz and this works as well.

The sound is very different. There seems to be a lot more lower range to the music. It is a clear and obvious difference. I can't decide if its better or not so far.

I've now ordered an Audiolab 6000CDT to see how that sounds and whether my DAC thinks its getting a 16 bit input from CDs. I'm interested to see if it sounds the same as my Cyrus Cdi or not. Hopefully it won't scratch my CD collection...

I honestly wasn't expecting any difference in the sound between my laptop or current CD player.

DSJR

Major Contributor
My now old pre conceived opinions tell me the audiophile based Cyrus may be faulty or simply not quite right. (maybe adding a PSX-R or whatever the current version is might help, such is the way the single boxes were hobbled for supply 'upgrades' later - (Cyrus and especially Naim make this an artform!). I'd be very surprised indeed if the Benchmark was off in any way.

I demo'd a Denon CD player as transport once and the early dacs we had wouldn't lock to it. the machine had a pitch adjustment gimmick and the output set to 'normal' wasn't accurate enough for them to lock to I remember.

I've read good comments on the Audiolab. Should be fine I think and hope.

OP
B

buttlep

My now old pre conceived opinions tell me the audiophile based Cyrus may be faulty or simply not quite right. (maybe adding a PSX-R or whatever the current version is might help, such is the way the single boxes were hobbled for supply 'upgrades' later - (Cyrus and especially Naim make this an artform!). I'd be very surprised indeed if the Benchmark was off in any way.

I demo'd a Denon CD player as transport once and the early dacs we had wouldn't lock to it. the machine had a pitch adjustment gimmick and the output set to 'normal' wasn't accurate enough for them to lock to I remember.

I've read good comments on the Audiolab. Should be fine I think and hope.
I have a PSX-R2 connected. It made a worryingly big difference to the sound when I was using the analogue outputs.

I'm inclined to agree with you about it not being quite right. Which is why I decided to just buy something else and see what happens. I can't see the Benchmark DAC being at fault either.

The DAC has a function where it will tell you if its having locking issues. But this seems to relate to the frequency not the bit depth.

DSJR

Major Contributor
I have a PSX-R2 connected. It made a worryingly big difference to the sound when I was using the analogue outputs.

I'm inclined to agree with you about it not being quite right. Which is why I decided to just buy something else and see what happens. I can't see the Benchmark DAC being at fault either.

The DAC has a function where it will tell you if its having locking issues. But this seems to relate to the frequency not the bit depth.
See, my now old sensibilities suggest that a larger capacity supply on line level stages *shouldn't* be necessary as I suspect the internal regulation and isolation which modern dacs do so easily now, is deliberately hobbled to make the add-on an 'upgrade.' Power amps yes certainly, but I worry about line level units like this (my old AVI CD player had several fully regulated supplies I recall and it was measurably immune to rf and other noises coming into it when I remember HFN tested it - this was early 90's or so too, so perfectly possible to do properly even then).

OP
B

buttlep

The 6000CDT turned up. The 16 bit indicator lights up. And the sound is very similar if not the same as what was coming out of my MacBook...

No signs of scratches yet.

Top Bottom