• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coronavirus Is Indiscriminate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Senior Australian government minister is diagnosed as infected. He moves in international circles(has just been with Ivanka Trump and William Barr) and his family runs child-care businesses.

He is not the first senior government minister, worldwide, to go into quarantine. Contagion at this level is serious given the age of so many politicians.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I'll volunteer as the "All but didn't leave the house and barely even had a visitor" test case.

We'll find out if coronavirus can be transmitted via the TV or Radio.

I'll assume my discs aren't infected.

Oh wait, I'm playing a new release right now.

That I got last week.

From ECM.

OMG that's Europe. I'm doomed.

The only thing I can think of to do is to keep the disc isloated from all the others for 14 days, I guess.

Last edited:
OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
Children seem not to suffer much. Hardly any have been admited to hospital, even under 6 month olds.

They are effective spreaders, though, and are often in the company of their higher at-risk grandparents.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Dumb advice of the day:

elbow.gif

Ok, I can understand that, I suppose.

But then he follows up with this clever new way to infect your acquaintances

bump.gif

If everyone is washing their hands constantly now, maybe the shake is a better choice.

Who washes their elbows?

captain paranoia

The point is that you don't touch your mouth, nose, eyes or face with your elbows. Therefore, any virus transferred between elbows goes no further. Whereas virus transferred to our hands is very easily passed to vulnerable ingestion points.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Well, hadn't planned on doing any elbow bumping anyway.

captain paranoia

But treatment will be discriminating and even moreso if the need of intensive care exceeds the capacity.

Treatment triage in Italy has been pretty brutal. The reality of most healthcare systems is that this will be repeated elsewhere; there simply are not the number of respiratory support systems in the world to deal with the likely numbers who will require them. Hence the attempts to flatten and spread the hump, to reduce peak demand on medical services. When demand outstrips resources, you will need to make brutal decisions about who to use those resources on. And it's not a good prospect for the elderly and those who have reduced survival rates anyway

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
All serious disease is indiscriminate.

philosobyte

How useful is ICU/hospital treatment? I keep reading that so and so person from the Nursing Home went there and after two days passed.
Not very useful. IIRC without antivirals, the most they can do is slap a respirator on you and hope for the best.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
How useful is ICU/hospital treatment?

Intubation is rather brutal.

A pipe down your throat, and enforced breathing via a pressure/vacuum machine.

Then, once your're on it, it isn't removed until (a) you're dead, or (b) they think you can breathe on your own again, which is attempted while the contraption is still stuffed down your throat.

I think it senses your "request" to breathe, but if you don't, it will do one for you.

Once intubated, if you (or family) request of the medical staff "That's enough. Take it out", they won't, under normal circumstances, until one of the above conditions is met.

At least, that was what I observed, in 1999.

Last edited:

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How useful is ICU/hospital treatment? I keep reading that so and so person from the Nursing Home went there and after two days passed.

potentially very useful - if they have ventilators, etc. and don't have to triage...

they can also diagnose and treat secondary infections

post 18 above this one is dead wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom