• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Considering changing up my amp/DAC

ChickenChaser

Current chain:
Modi 2 -> Lyr 2 (LSST tubes)

Cans:
HD800 (SDR EQ)
Rosson RAD-0
ZMF Verite Closed
(Also JH Angie, ER3XR)

Portable DAPs:
iPod + Rockbox
Hidizs AP80
LG V20 Phone

Budget:
$550 unless there's a big jump in price-performance after that.
If there is, maybe considering an extra $2-300 max.

But if the performance gap isn't large, I'd prefer going even cheaper.

Preference:
If possible, I'd like to switch to stuff that would double for on-the-go use. Mostly I'm looking around here and realizing this would be the best place to ask for the optimum price-to-performance. From what I'm reading it sounds like my combo might not be optimal for the price point, and I probably won't need the volume range now that I don't have the LCD4, so if I can switch around to something maybe a little better and save cash that sounds great. Reliability/durability/maybe warranty is also a priority.

Discussion:
Basically, I bought the Lyr 2 while trying out a ton of headphones because I wanted something I was sure would power them all. That's about it. I've basically never heard any other upstream gear, just a couple other Schiit amps. I did end up owning and loving the LCD4 for quite awhile, and there's a slim chance I may want to pick one up again in the future. Otherwise, I'm probably sticking to this setup for the foreseeable future. Maybe an Atticus/Eikon. Otherwise, I'm ready to nail down the final checkbox on my list, and if possible make my portable setup as good/better than the desk setup so I have less temptation to stay at the desk.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
After a false start (Fire 7" tablet, otg cable, D10) in front of a Liquid Spark and HE400i, I replaced the F7/D10 on my desktop with an LG V20. Still with LS and HE400i. Very happy with this desktop and no plans to change it.

Not so easy with my separate portable setup. I tried es100, speaka, btr3, apple dongle, other dongles - IMO None would adequately power the HE400i. None. All got returned. The only device I found 'almost' equal to the LS was the $70 NX3s. It is capable of almost 1/2 watt into 33 ohms. And since the HE400i are planars, the somewhat high output impedance wasn't a deal breaker.

So, as part of your portable setup, you might look at the NX3s. Particularly if you can return it if unhappy.

https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...attery-operated-portable-headphone-amps.6312/

Top Bottom