• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Conducting Audio Research on High School Students?

nerdemoji

Hello guys. I am actually a high schools student and I have a class where we will conduct research over the course of the school year on a topic of our choice. This means that I can conduct a study with high schools students as the subject of this study. The reason I am posting this here is because I am exploring the possibility of researching something about audio science. If I can't come up with a good and teacher approved research question, that is fine because I have already wrote a research paper on the side about Robotic Automation, so I will have minimal work to do if this doesn't work out.

I am wondering if any of you guys have any interesting ideas for what I might be able to do research on.

Limitations:
I won't have access to any advanced equipment as far as I know. I will have headphones with a transparent signal path, and any software on a computer as long as it isn't too expensive. I might be able to contact people in the region to gain access to more advanced equipment, but I don't know if this is a reliable option right now. I am also willing to spend some extra money (probably no more than 100 USD) if it means I can have a more interesting experiment.

I need to buy a membership to AES to conduct some preliminary credible research literature reviews to back up and explain my research. (I think it is 50 dollars for students)

Sample is high school students at a public school. The shorter the time they need to spend as a subject the better, otherwise that sample size of people willing to participate will be small, making my research fundamentally flawed.

Here is the idea I have come up with, but I would like input of other interesting ideas or suggestions:
Do different genre preferences have an effect on critical listening ability (Band ID proficiency)? and Does training this critical listening improve the perception of detail in music?

Thanks!

Sokel

Master Contributor
I think that the age of the subjects is a good opportunity to explore the high frequency region now that you still can.
Best wishes!

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Cool stuff!
Here is the idea I have come up with, but I would like input of other interesting ideas or suggestions:
Do different genre preferences have an effect on critical listening ability (Band ID proficiency)? and Does training this critical listening improve the perception of detail in music?
How are you going to do training when one of your requirements is:
The shorter the time they need to spend as a subject the better
You may do a small sample size group, and train them over a longer time and see how people progress in things like detecting frequency, level and distortion differences. The training part itself is probably another can of worms though...

Large groups of people lend themselves to simple and quick tests, like ABX-ing for something...

Top Bottom