• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Complete Newbie to miniDSP - Basics help needed

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I apologize in advance. I've recently gotten back into audio after a long hiatus and I'm making nice advancements but also swimming a bit in places.

It sounds like everyone runs some sort of room EQ software and miniDSP UMIK-1 seems very popular. Here are my STUPID questions as I just can't figure it out.

1. Do you run the software plugged into a receiver via HDMI (I am running a mixed use 5.1 system with a Sony STR-5400ES receiver) and then the software lets you know the SPL and/or EQ settings that you should adjust on the receiver?

2. Or is it that you run the software and then use something like a miniDSP 2x4 HD to hold the EQ settings outside of the receiver...as in L/C/R/Surround/Sub pre outs to miniDSP 2x4 HD to amplifiers?

3. If you do need to use something like a miniDSP 2x4 HD how many of those units do you need to power 5.1? (I actually run two subs, splitting the signal so 5.2?)

I know there are a lot of experienced audiophiles here so sorry to dumb down this little alcove of the board with my cluelessness. Thank you in advance for any guidance.

OP
Acerun

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds like I might be able to adjust via EQ, but most use DSP hardware?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey!

The miniDSP 2*4 HD’s input is stereo, the additional outputs are for speaker crossover in the digital domain.

So they would work for something like stereo + subwoofer. But not for multichannel input.

For multichannel you need a multichannel DAC + multichannel MiniDSP.

Or the more popular choice of buying an AVR processor with EQ. Or an AVR reciever with amplification.

OP
Acerun

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey!

The miniDSP 2*4 HD’s input is stereo, the additional outputs are for speaker crossover in the digital domain.

So they would work for something like stereo + subwoofer. But not for multichannel input.

For multichannel you need a multichannel DAC + multichannel MiniDSP.

Or the more popular choice of buying an AVR processor with EQ. Or an AVR reciever with amplification.
Yes so I have an AV receiver with a dac so that's not the problem what I don't understand is whether the microphone and software gives me the specifics to adjust my system or whether I need that extra mini DSP hardware device. That's where I get lost. And what sound quality gets lost running it through that DSP device?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes so I have an AV receiver with a dac so that's not the problem what I don't understand is whether the microphone and software gives me the specifics to adjust my system or whether I need that extra mini DSP hardware device. That's where I get lost. And what sound quality gets lost running it through that DSP device?

What’s the AV reciever you have?

Slobmw

Forum Donor
If your avr can do parametric EQ then you probably don’t need the minidsp. Plug your laptop into the avr and your mic into the laptop. Use REW in the usual way :), then you can take the frequency, db adjustment and q from REWs EQ tool. and enter them manually in the avr. (Lots of tutorials out there)

if you have to use an external device like the minidsp the main issue likely won’t be audible degradation, but lag. Also, it starts to defeat the benefit of an aVR if you start having to plug in all sorts of extra boxes. At least for me.

OP
Acerun

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If your avr can do parametric EQ then you probably don’t need the minidsp. Plug your laptop into the avr and your mic into the laptop. Use REW in the usual way :), then you can take the frequency, db adjustment and q from REWs EQ tool. and enter them manually in the avr. (Lots of tutorials out there)

if you have to use an external device like the minidsp the main issue likely won’t be audible degradation, but lag. Also, it starts to defeat the benefit of an aVR if you start having to plug in all sorts of extra boxes. At least for me.
Thank you

Not sure exactly what parametricEQ is but the Sony simply allows boosting/lowering of EQ for bass/treble for each channel.

Slobmw

Forum Donor
Thank you

Not sure exactly what parametricEQ is but the Sony simply allows boosting/lowering of EQ for bass/treble for each channel.

Parametric EQ is a more granular version of that your Sony does, then. So you would need an external device as you sketch out in your #2 in the OP. I'd recommend thinking about a stereo solution as a way to get your feet wet. For example, if most of your music is digital, you could use a 2x4 HD as a USB dac that would handle all dsp, and output stereo RCA to your receiver CD input, or whichever analog input you wanted.

So you'd use REW to measure your fronts, use REWs built in filters to generate EQ files for the 2x4, load them up, and bobs your uncle. And by that I mean you will have started down the path. But for about $300 you can explore. An AVR that has sophisticated enough built in DSP to handle that would be substantially more (and have a more holistic and automated process) and I don't have much experience with any of those.

Bottom line, if you just want better sound for all your listening, music, movies, etc, buy a Denon x3700 or wherever other folks might recommend. And use the built in DSP. If you want a project that will keep you busy for awhile, get a minidsp 2x4 and start playing around.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
First, the REW software is mostly about measurement along with the mic. It can suggest eq curves that you may be able to implement as long as you have a way of inserting the device in your system. Most avrs lack a processing/tape loop for such, but can be inserted between pre-outs and power amps (like you can with a sub pre-out and the sub's amp). In your case it would be most useful in just dealing with subs due channel limitations.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Your 2x4 is just fine for two subs. If you wanted more channels maybe something like the 10x10 but I'd probably just stick to the subs, sub-schroeder is the most important to eq.

OP
Acerun

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Parametric EQ is a more granular version of that your Sony does, then. So you would need an external device as you sketch out in your #2 in the OP. I'd recommend thinking about a stereo solution as a way to get your feet wet. For example, if most of your music is digital, you could use a 2x4 HD as a USB dac that would handle all dsp, and output stereo RCA to your receiver CD input, or whichever analog input you wanted.

So you'd use REW to measure your fronts, use REWs built in filters to generate EQ files for the 2x4, load them up, and bobs your uncle. And by that I mean you will have started down the path. But for about $300 you can explore. An AVR that has sophisticated enough built in DSP to handle that would be substantially more (and have a more holistic and automated process) and I don't have much experience with any of those.

Bottom line, if you just want better sound for all your listening, music, movies, etc, buy a Denon x3700 or wherever other folks might recommend. And use the built in DSP. If you want a project that will keep you busy for awhile, get a minidsp 2x4 and start playing around.
Is there a reason I wouldn't want a 4X10 HD to cover the full system or do the center/surrounds not matter as much?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The 4x10 would allow 4 channels input....so not much use beyond a 3.1 or 2.2 setup, why I mentioned the 10x10. Been a while since I looked at their various choices, when I got my first 2x4 I don't believe any of the other choices existed yet ;)

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there a reason I wouldn't want a 4X10 HD to cover the full system or do the center/surrounds not matter as much?

the difference between the 10X10 and 4x10 is negligible as far as i know. so why not just go for the 10X10?

You would still need an AVR processor before the 10X10 though, as i don't think you can get multichannel without one.

OP
Acerun

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
the difference between the 10X10 and 4x10 is negligible as far as i know. so why not just go for the 10X10?

You would still need an AVR processor before the 10X10 though, as i don't think you can get multichannel without one.
Well I do have the Sony AVR and it offers full preouts so the 10x10 should work. The other path would be to start with the 2x4 and then add a 4x10 separately.. can one do that? It would cost an extra hundred to buy the devices separately in phases if that's even possible.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well I do have the Sony AVR and it offers full preouts so the 10x10 should work. The other path would be to start with the 2x4 and then add a 4x10 separately.. can one do that? It would cost an extra hundred to buy the devices separately in phases if that's even possible.

the 10x10 is 600$, the 4x10 is 500$. why would you buy the 2x4 and 4x10 ?

I really feel like you're underestimating this endavor, don't complicate things for yourself and just get the 10x10 HD. and use it as a pre-amp / volume control as well.

Slobmw

Forum Donor

As folks above noted, you'd need the 10x10 to cover everything,so if you are pretty sure you want that level of a project, go for it. I was suggesting you ease into it with the 2x4 as less complicated, and as a bit of a side project, leaving the rest of your rig intact while you explored. But I'm definitely not one to be able to preach against the cobbled and complicated.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

You have a full set of power amps between the avr and speakers?

Top Bottom