• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Comparing HP DAC/AMPS

RHO

Major Contributor
Hello all, first time post here.
I have a question regarding lower budget HP DAC/AMP reviews:
I was wondering why most reviews compare one DAC/AMP to some other (very good) DAC/AMP. I would think it more helpful comparing a DAC/AMP to for instance a 3.5mm laptop output or 3.5mm output on a phone, since that is the standard situation we want to upgrade from.
Has anyone done this comparison before?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Reactions: RHO

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello all, first time post here.
I have a question regarding lower budget HP DAC/AMP reviews:
I was wondering why most reviews compare one DAC/AMP to some other (very good) DAC/AMP. I would think it more helpful comparing a DAC/AMP to for instance a 3.5mm laptop output or 3.5mm output on a phone, since that is the standard situation we want to upgrade from.
Has anyone done this comparison before?
We need more samples to test like what you suggest. Motherboards, cel tels, notebooks etc. Testing motherboards req's sending a entire tower to @amirm . For that reason we only have one motherboard tested as far as I remember and that was @amirm Gigabyte Z390.

NTomokawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
a 3.5mm laptop output or 3.5mm output on a phone
Because, I dare say, they're usually not that good. Though I am saying this without data to back it up.

But I'm also saying this because the output of your phone or laptop is most likely not remotely engineered for Hi-Fi requirements (SINAD, linearity, output impedance, etc.)

Then again, whether you can hear any differences is something else entirely.

OP
R

RHO

Major Contributor
We need more samples to test like what you suggest. Motherboards, cel tels, notebooks etc. Testing motherboards req's sending a entire tower to @amirm . For that reason we only have one motherboard tested as far as I remember and that was @amirm Gigabyte Z390.
I see. I didn't realize what the process was for getting samples to test.
Thanks for the links. I'll check them out. I'm certain there's quite a bit to learn from them. :)
Because, I dare say, they're usually not that good. Though I am saying this without data to back it up.

But I'm also saying this because the output of your phone or laptop is most likely not remotely engineered for Hi-Fi requirements (SINAD, linearity, output impedance, etc.)

Then again, whether you can hear any differences is something else entirely.
I would guess the same. I think a product specifically designed for hifi reproduction should sound better or at least show better measurements in that regard.
The thing is that as a first upgrade I would like to see how much better it measures (a basic dedicated product compared to a standard not dedicated product). That could give me a better view on if I would enjoy my "investment". Maybe I decide to save up a little more and go for a mid-range or high range product instead. Or I don't upgrade at all.

OP
R

RHO

Major Contributor
I went for it and ordered a Topping DX3 pro. (will arrive late December, early Januari :( )
It's my first audio product of this type. I'm very curious if and what differences I will experience compared to my current listening situation. (direct laptop or phone connection)
The DX3 pro also allows me to listen to my wired headphones when I use my phone as a source, My new phone does not have 3,5mm connection but has LDAC and atpX HD capability.

Top Bottom