• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A Headphone "Pre-Amp" for More Gain?

solrage

Was curious if anyone knows of a product out there that could essentially act as a pre-amp between my DAC and HP amp that could provide more clean gain. Despite having a beefy amp I use audio programs that tend to significantly lower the output volume of my music, usually to around -20dB. This becomes a problem with genres like jazz and classical that are often mixed quietly to provide more peak dynamic headroom. While I can adjust gain digitally that does run into the issue of occasional clipping. Likewise, I can increase the gain on my amp, but that introduces more distortion as well. Seems like there should be an option out there for just a clean gain boost, like the equivalent of the Cloudlifter for microphones.

staticV3

Master Contributor
A JDS Atom Amp 2 would give you 22dB of clean pre amplification with RCA Line in&out.

Top Bottom