• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Classic Integrated Amplifiers!

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
IMG_1178.png
Kenwood Supreme 600 & 600T

Punter

nad_3020_integrated_amplifier.jpg

My first amp. Saved up my first few months pay and bought this along with a Dunlop Systemdeck (cake tin) and a pair of AR15 speakers.

Rotiv

Oh, not the spontaneous twin drive! :eek: I never understood what they meant by that? 2 channels of output? Kidding.

Me neither, someone in the know says:
[Spontaneous Twin Drive means that power supply to the diff amp/VAS part of the power amp has its own dedicated (small) rectifier and set of filter capacitors, while the drivers and outputs (i.e., current gain parts) are supplied separately from the main rectifier and the large filter capacitors.]

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Even though I intensively use ACCUPHASE E-460, YAMAHA A-S3000, SONY TA-A1ES and YAMAHA A-S301 in my DSP-based multichannel multi-SP-driver multi-amplifier fully active stereo audio project (ref. here for the latest setup), I assume they are not categorized as "Classic Integrated Amplifiers", and therefore I hesitate sharing the photos here on this thread.

I also had LUXMAN L-530, but it has gone to used market after I purchased ACCUPHASE E-460.

I will share the photos only if OP @MAB would be interested in seeing them.

Last edited:

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

DanielT

Major Contributor
Classic for Sweden anyway. Integrated amplifier Luxor 7082A. I have one. :)
(not mine in the picture, but that model)
a80087d3-a9d4-418c-9b7c-0044ee8f05f9.jpeg

I have the 7082A due to the fact that the company that made them was located 30 kilometers from where I live. A bit of a hometown feel, sort of. To have it that is.

Luxor was a company that produced,among other things, sound/audio-related products for the people. Focus on products that were affordable, they were produced for the masses, not exactly "fine" HiFi. But sometimes Luxor created slightly better stuff (style and/or better in terms of sound).
The Luxor 7082A is a result of such a drive. Luxor also tested a little more luxurious stuff, for example:

Luxor-empire.JPG

Luxor Empire from 1948. "A tasteful Gustavian style piece of furniture that happily combines high culture with 50's technology."

I am considering having my Luxor 7082A amp in my main rig. It will then drive some midrange and/or tweeters drivers. If I do so, I think I'll do a recap on it. Don't know if it's necessary, but the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply part that are starting to approach 50 years old might make sense to replace in any case.I checked the DC offset a while ago and it was good.:)

LugsyTL47

My only system: 1976-1978 trifecta of Yamaha CA-1010, NS-670, YP-511
With 1990 thrown in: NS-1 Classics, YST-SW500

May not have s/n, SINAD, flat frequency chart topping specs but it can time travel!
I always smile putting on an album my parents bought in the 70’s because it sounds as if they never stopped playing their music 45+ years later….one very long listening session.

Attachments

• IMG_7813.jpeg
    IMG_7813.jpeg
    331.2 KB · Views: 124

Adaboy4z

May not have s/n, SINAD, flat frequency chart topping specs but it can time travel!
I always smile putting on an album my parents bought in the 70’s because it sounds as if they never stopped playing their music 45+ years later….one very long listening session.
I have the NS670 and YP211. They both sound great. Have you recapped the crossovers in your 670's? I'm going to in the next month.

DanielT

Major Contributor

That was a nice solution you have.:)

I have two Yamaha YST-SW300 subwoofers. Measured them this summer. That YST technology is nice. In any case, down to 23 Hz f3. Good FR.

Speaking of regulating between amp and speakers, here if you're interested:

OP
MAB

MAB

Major Contributor
Even though I intensively use ACCUPHASE E-460, YAMAHA A-S3000, SONY TA-A1ES and YAMAHA A-S301 in my DSP-based multichannel multi-SP-driver multi-amplifier fully active stereo audio project (ref. here for the latest setup), I assume they are not categorized as "Classic Integrated Amplifiers", and therefore I hesitate sharing the photos here on this thread.

I also had LUXMAN L-530, but it has gone to used market after I purchased ACCUPHASE E-460.

I will share the photos only if OP @MAB would be interested in seeing them.
Please share! No rules here, but pictures are strongly encouraged! I'm not even sure what is and is not classic.;)
Those Yamaha, Sony, and Accuphase are wonderful examples from companies that have given us many incredible integrated amps over the years.

Last edited:
OP
MAB

MAB

Major Contributor
Classic for Sweden anyway. Integrated amplifier Luxor 7082A. I have one. :)
(not mine in the picture, but that model)
View attachment 314515

I have the 7082A due to the fact that the company that made them was located 30 kilometers from where I live. A bit of a hometown feel, sort of. To have it that is.

Luxor was a company that produced,among other things, sound/audio-related products for the people. Focus on products that were affordable, they were produced for the masses, not exactly "fine" HiFi. But sometimes Luxor created slightly better stuff (style and/or better in terms of sound).
The Luxor 7082A is a result of such a drive. Luxor also tested a little more luxurious stuff, for example:

View attachment 314516
Luxor Empire from 1948. "A tasteful Gustavian style piece of furniture that happily combines high culture with 50's technology."

I am considering having my Luxor 7082A amp in my main rig. It will then drive some midrange and/or tweeters drivers. If I do so, I think I'll do a recap on it. Don't know if it's necessary, but the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply part that are starting to approach 50 years old might make sense to replace in any case.I checked the DC offset a while ago and it was good.:)
Thanks so much for this post, and the history! The little integrated is beautiful, and the console system is gorgeous.:D

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
^^^ I had one of those little Pioneers for a while. Gave it to a friend of my son's back in the kids' teen-age years to help get him started. :) It's a pretty nice little amplifier, albeit quite low-powered (even from my perspective ;)).

Barrelhouse Solly

I have fond memories of my mono Fisher tuner/preamp. I bought it used in 1965 used. It was part of my first hi-fi system. I wish I had a picture. It had provision for a multiplex adapter so I know it came from the early days of stereo. I wish I had a picture of it. It's one of those things that, for better or worse, forms your opinion of the "right" kind of industrial design for a device.

It looked something like this. Note the various 78 eq curves and the variable loudness contour. https://img.usaudiomart.com/uploads...mono-tube-amfm-hifi-receiver-with-cabinet.jpg

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Please share! No rules here, but pictures are strongly encouraged! I'm not even sure what is and is not classic.;)
Those Yamaha, Sony, and Accuphase are wonderful examples from companies that have given us many incredible integrated amps over the years.

OK, just photos (and a little bit of tips);

ACCUPHASE E-460 which I use intensively (ref. here);
WS003609.JPG

WS001247.JPG

As for the really wonderful maintenance and repair service of ACCUPHASE, please refer here.

YAMAHA A-S3000 which I use intensively (ref. here);
WS001291.JPG

WS001368 (1).JPG

SONY TA-A1ES which I use intensively (ref. here);
WS00006450.JPG

WS001367.JPG

YAMAHA A-S301 which I use intensively (ref. here);
WS00006449.JPG

LUXMAN L-530 which I have owned but went to used market after I purchased ACCUPHASE E-460;
WS00006457.JPG

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

That Luxor 7082 does indeed appear to be of Luxman design. They certainly did play some games between the two companies in your country.

It has an entirely Japanese semiconductor compliment, something not generally employed outside Japan. The schematics are clearly drawn or redrawn and marked up from classic Luxman designs of the era.

Plenty of HiFi dealers and distributors did that, and continue to do so to this day- having a trusted manufacturer who they've been dealing with for decades, make them a range of their own brands to sell alongside as a cheaper option. Plus business and nobody gets upset.

If there was a 'factory' near you and they did make the amplifiers, I'd lay money on Lux Japan shipping them fully populated PCBs, all the parts including the front and rear panels and casework. They may have been 'assembled' in Sweden. I can't find a picture of a 7082 that says made in 'Sweden' on it.

Take a few detailed shots of the interior and I'll be able to tell for sure. Luxman have very distinct quirks in their assembly and build.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
In Australia, we had Encel HiFi, who were the sole importers/distributors for Luxman and Rotel for many decades. An historic and much respected man of HiFi.

I wonder who makes this house brand for them??

1696815799209.png

1696815907275.png

Top Bottom