• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

class D Amp recomendation for ELAC DBR62, under 300$

marcom22

the only drawback of these speakers is that at low volume they don't sound very good. but just turn up the volume a little and they are fantastic!
Big Quote ..... but if you use a beefy Amp this little "problem" diseappears ....... a lot ;)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What sort of power are you looking for for that budget?

marcom22

What sort of power are you looking for for that budget?
75 watts are 75watts, 75 for McIntosh, for Nad, for Techinics and for Hegel ........ These bookshelf need minimum 100/120 watts ...... I use with great results a NC502MP from Hypex ;)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
75 watts are 75watts, 75 for McIntosh, for Nad, for Techinics and for Hegel ........ These bookshelf need minimum 100/120 watts ...... I use with great results a NC502MP from Hypex ;)
Yeah a 3dB gain I'd just use the Nad some more....if you're going for power get significantly more....

OP
M

marcello252

the only drawback of these speakers is that at low volume they don't sound very good. but just turn up the volume a little and they are fantastic!
what you don't like about the dbr62s at low volume, just as a reference?

mario_rouge

what you don't like about the dbr62s at low volume, just as a reference?
the music scene is not perfect and the mids are a bit backward. Bass and treble are ok. Over the weekend I will try a smsl sa400 and I will let you know if the sound will change drastically.

TheWalkman

I’m running a NIOSH Sound meter app on my iPad, eight or so feet from the speakers.

Is this app measuring to laboratory grade accuracy? Nope. Is it giving me a rough idea of sound levels? I’d say so.

FWIW, I like my music on the, “forceful” side. I can tell you that when my app says 100 + db, these little speakers are cranking. So much so, that when turning the volume up in the evening, I’m to the point that I’m worried the neighbor on that side of my house will send me a nasty text telling me to back it down, (though it hasn’t happened yet.)

My earlier post message is that with this pair of Elacs, I have three amps I switch between on a regular basis, varying from a clean 50 to 150 watts each and any of the three will drive the little speakers to the point that they will scream.

As I type this response, listening to the Elacs being driven by a $50 Aiyima A04, I‘ll stand by my opinion that you don’t need an over the top, beastly amp to make the Elacs sing.
Since my last post, I bought the now legendary Topping PA 5 and it’s driving the Elacs nicely.

Whether you get the Topping, an Aiyima 04 or 07, either of these Class Ds will make these speakers sing.

conuss

Since my last post, I bought the now legendary Topping PA 5 and it’s driving the Elacs nicely.

Whether you get the Topping, an Aiyima 04 or 07, either of these Class Ds will make these speakers sing.
And yet you can't single out one, the BEST, of them...?

TheWalkman

And yet you can't single out one, the BEST, of them...?
The Topping combined with an E50 DAC is the BEST in terms of features - the DAC has three inputs and a remote, but it cost ~$650.

The Aiyimas, with a quality 36V Mean Well power brick, cost ~ $120 but don’t have the optical or coax input.

And the balanced input on the Topping is, to me, somewhat inconvenient.

The sound of all three amps is excellent. Between the Aiyimas, I gravitate to the 04 over the 07, though the difference is negligible.

As I’ve stated in a number of posts, if you are chasing the holy grail of amplifier specs on left most, blue, section of the review graph but can’t justify $3K for a Benchmark, then buy the Topping.

If you’re on a tighter budget and want to focus on listening to great sounding music, buy either of the Aiyimas with a quality power supply, and bank the difference or spend the $500 you saved on some better quality speakers. (I’m running these amps into Elac Reference 62‘s which I LOVE). Then invest your time focusing on a new artist or album instead of these reviews!

Seriously, between these three amps, there is no bad choice.

Offler

I have NAD d3020 v2 to drive DBR-62, i purchased that combo about 8months ago.

Now I would consider Topping PA 5 with some of its balanced DACs with TOSLINK input.

Willem

Major Contributor
My son drives his Elac DBR62s with a now discontinued 2x250 watt rms Yamaha P2500s pro audio power amplifier that I bought for him for 300 euros. I doubt you could get better value for money in amplification (or better sound).

holbob

I upgraded (sidegraded if sinad is considered???), from a Hypex NC122MP to a NAD C372. It's not at low volumes the difference is though - no change there - but at higher volumes the harshness goes away (sighted placebo excepted ;)). I do think the DBR62 need as much as you can give them. They are so sweet and gentle.

KxDx

I don't know if you're in the US but there are some bargains in the "home integration" space. Those amps are generally made for difficult loads and long reliability.

I previous owned a Niles SI-275. ~125 watts into a 4 ohm load. Amir reviewed it very favorably. It's a Class AB but stayed incredibly cool to the touch even after I pushed it hard with some PSB Stratus Gold speakers (they are a notoriously hard load).

Their new amps are Class D and still live up to the reputation:

Sometimes you have to wait for the right deal to pop up on ebay or locally (facebook, craiglist, etc). People will often sell these cheap because they don't know the brand name.

I just last week bought a pair of these Sonamps off ebay to replace the Parasound 2125 in the living room that's starting to misbehave. $245 is less than a third of what they sell for everywhere else. At that price I got a pair to biamp my speakers, just for the hell of it. Just have to make sure you have space. They are LONG (like 16 inches!). I believe they use ICE modules but I haven't popped one open yet.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Here you can work with which effect is suitable for speakers:

Top Bottom