• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

class D Amp recomendation for ELAC DBR62, under 300$

KxDx

So the Sonamp 2-100 uses Hypex UCD250LP modules.

IMG_20211225_1913584_copy_1622x1081.jpg

IMG_20211225_1913435_copy_1622x1081.jpg

mario_rouge

I want buy 2 Sabaj A8 (2 icepower 125ASX2 250watt) and put them in bridged Mono. do you think they can sound good?

mario_rouge

For these speakers do you think could be better a 50 watt Topping pa5 amplifier or two 250watt mono blocks 125asx2?

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
I find the A07 has a lot more power using the 32/5 power supply than the A04, at least the versions I have. I like the A04 with that ps in my dining room, where its main use is background or quiet listening, just enough volume to reach the kitchen. For a main system, I would definitely give the nod to the A07.

TheWalkman

For these speakers do you think could be better a 50 watt Topping pa5 amplifier or two 250watt mono blocks 125asx2?
I’m listening to the Elacs driven by the PA5 as I type this (streaming some Jazz from my Raspi Pi Zero2 W) and my little system sounds great.

mario_rouge

I’m listening to the Elacs driven by the PA5 as I type this (streaming some Jazz from my Raspi Pi Zero2 W) and my little system sounds great.
So isn't it true that to make these speakers work well you need an amplifier with many watts? In fact, there are those who argue that with a beefy amplifier these speakers sound better even at low volumes.

TheWalkman

So isn't it true that to make these speakers work well you need an amplifier with many watts? In fact, there are those who argue that with a beefy amplifier these speakers sound better even at low volumes.

As I’ve stated multiple times in the Elac thread, a $50 Aiyima 04, 07 or the Topping PA5 (which I have powering mine, currently) will make these speakers sing.

I certainly respect Amir‘s opinion, but I don’t understand why he said this. From my Elac experience over the past three months you really don’t need a beefy McIntosh to appreciate the great sound of the Elacs (though I’m sure that would work.) 30 to 50 watts of clean power works quite well with them.

And sing they do! These are amazing little speakers.

Try an Aiyima and if that doesn’t work, use it with your computer or in a bedroom. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:

mario_rouge

As I’ve stated multiple times in the Elac thread, a $50 Aiyima 04, 07 or the Topping PA5 (which I have powering mine, currently) will make these speakers sing.

I certainly respect Amir‘s opinion, but I don’t understand why he said this. From my Elac experience over the past three months you really don’t need a beefy McIntosh to appreciate the great sound of the Elacs (though I’m sure that would work.) 30 to 50 watts of clean power works quite well with them.

And sing they do! These are amazing little speakers.

Try an Aiyima and if that doesn’t work, use it with your computer or bedroom. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.
I have a Topping PA5 and two Sabaj A8 (250 Watt X channel) are coming. I'll let you know which one sounds better.

Last edited:

MrOtto

Thanks, but I can't find any info about D03 using TPA3255, and no built in SMPS, like A08, A08 would be perfect if it only had a remote, and dual RCA input. For a good DAC and RIAA.

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks, but I can't find any info about D03 using TPA3255, and no built in SMPS, like A08, A08 would be perfect if it only had a remote, and dual RCA input. For a good DAC and RIAA.
The D03 does not use the TPA3255 but rather the TAS5624, an amp from Texas Instruments TI as well. On the other hand, this chip is from the previous generation of the TPA325x, but works very well if well implemented.

TheWalkman

The D03 does not use the TPA3255 but rather the TAS5624, an amp from Texas Instruments TI as well. On the other hand, this chip is from the previous generation of the TPA325x, but works very well if well implemented.

Agreed. Different chip but I’m told great sound. Some, subjectively, are saying it sounds better than an 07.

This thread is about recommendations to power the Elacs. I have a pair that I drive with the Aiyima 07, 04 and currently connected to a Topping PA 5. They all do a great job. I love all three amps. I love the speakers as well.

The D03 thread has posts indicating that it performs as well or better than an 07.

Therefore, what’s more important:

- a remote; sub out; Bluetooth, optical, coax and usb in; built in DAC (D03)

-Or a particular chip (A07)

You make the call.

C3B28002-2C0A-459F-8049-AC99E88DE327.jpeg

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Another something for nothing request. Sigh. The baby Topping looks nice, but not for a full room. Might look at March for class D, or Schiit for AB in the $700 range. Other budget friendly are NAD, Outlaw and even Emotiva. Yea the Naim, Sim, Rega, Linn, etc are nice, but that level of performance can be had for far less.

100dB? Not in my house you don't.

Hapo

...this thread really resonates with me as I have a Niles SI 2150 amp inbound and am strongly considering a set of ELAC DBR 62's...

...I am sure I will like them much better than my Energy 2.1e's but then again I have just tried a set of ELAC Uni-Fi 2.0's...

...I literaly heared things I never heared before in new music, and that was amazing at my age, and I hate to give that up, but the aluminum drivers seemed to aggrivate my ears in the voice range...

...I am hoping they have not spoiled me for all other ELACs...

TheWalkman

...this thread really resonates with me as I have a Niles SI 2150 amp inbound and am strongly considering a set of ELAC DBR 62's...

...I am sure I will like them much better than my Energy 2.1e's but then again I have just tried a set of ELAC Uni-Fi 2.0's...

...I literaly heared things I never heared before in new music, and that was amazing at my age, and I hate to give that up, but the aluminum drivers seemed to aggrivate my ears in the voice range...

...I am hoping they have not spoiled me for all other ELACs...
Hapo,

I, too, have a Niles 2150 in my collection that I occasionally rotate in the mix with my Elacs and I think you’ll be pleased. Between the Niles, Aiyima 04 and 07 and a Topping PA50, they are all fine amps. The Elacs are spectacular: very crisp, clear, nice and loud with an incredible low end for such small, bookshelf speakers. You can’t go wrong with the Elacs.

Hapo

...I actully changed my mind here too...I sort of stepped down bit to the Waldorf Diomond 12.2 speaker...

...I believe they might better suit the nearfield listing situation I am stuck with and run better at low levels...

...the "listen all day" comments sprinkled across the web helped sell me...

Top Bottom