• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Circuit breaker - which to choose

roxor

Hello,
i bought new flat - in the west EU, and thinking to create separate circuit for audio only.

Is there any suggestion what CB should be good for that ie. brand, how to design its capacity ie max current, inrush current curve etc.

Thanks!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,
i bought new flat - in the west EU, and thinking to create separate circuit for audio only.

Is there any suggestion what CB should be good for that ie. brand, how to design its capacity ie max current, inrush current curve etc.

Thanks!
Purchase a quality circuit breaker for the amperage required. 20A is a good number that exceed the usual 15A in North America. Don't go overboard because it's just wasted money after nothing advantageous.

OP
R

roxor

@Doodski thanks
But what's the quality cb? Do u mean brand?
Also what's the amperage req? I am running musical fidelity nu vista m3 on that, plus dac and streamer, that's it.

Why 20a? Isn't 16a enough? Just wondering.

Thanks

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@Doodski thanks
But what's the quality cb? Do u mean brand?
Also what's the amperage req? I am running musical fidelity nu vista m3 on that, plus dac and streamer, that's it.

Why 20a? Isn't 16a enough? Just wondering.

Thanks
The amperage is determined by the electrical building codes for your region. You must follow code no ifs or buts about that. It is imperative that you do this properly and follow code. So... For residential wiring there will be CB sizes and what is permissible and the wire gauge that is to be used at a minimum but you may exceed this for less voltage drop across the house wiring. If you exceed the CB size(s) then you will require more than one CB and electrical circuit powering your audio room.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On 240V, I can't imagine that 16A would be inadequate.

Make sure that your wire is large enough to carry that amount of current. If it's not, the higher amperage breaker could allow dangerous amounts of current through the circuit, making the wire dangerously hot and creating a fire hazard. It's unlikely this would happen in a 240V circuit.

If you are a nervous, paranoid person like me, consider getting a breaker with arc fault protection, which will shut down the circuit as soon as a faulty wire or connection (inside or outside the wall) starts to throw sparks.

OP
R

roxor

Hmm...
Confused... What u said regarding the wiring is true, I was thinking to use for audio circuit 2.5mm cable.

Still no clue regarding the ampers and brand, curve of the CB.

Thanks

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Let's see, you need a 20A circuit for amps that typically only use 5-10W on average at 85dB? :D
True although might as well spend another 25% or 30% total expense and go big so that there is no limitation later if expanding the room or gear in it..

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The sizing of the mains circuit breaker is meant to protect the wiring in the walls.

It is not intended to protect gear powered by the circuit.

It should conduct forever below its rated current (there are ambient temperature limits).

It will pass multiples of its rated current for shorter and shorter times.

Example:

1710119270417.png

I don't see a reason not to use a smaller breaker, if desired, and it meets the needs of he gear being powered..

Don't use a bigger one.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
OP
R

roxor

He is referring to the fact that some electronics gear draws a small amount of current and you may be very very well served with a 16A CB.
I don't know, currently
My MF nu Vista m3 is sometimes randomly tripping 10a and also 16a cb...

So I was told that apart of ampers there are different curves per cb... For inrush current.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

If you don't "get it", don't mess with electricity. Seriously, the risks are real, lethal. Your electrician would, should know.. As for the audiophile B.S. about "dedicated" circuits ... with "audiophiles"circuit breakers and outlets.. The least said about these , the better...
As for good brands of circuit breakers.. You go with Leviton , Hubell in the US or Schenider, Bosch , etc in the E.U.. again your electrician would know...

Be safe!

peace.

OP
R

roxor

It will pass multiples of its rated current for shorter and shorter times.
Yes, but the question would be... Is it a good idea to buy cb with the curve that allow higher inrush current... I don't know

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know, currently
My MF nu Vista m3 is sometimes randomly tripping 10a and also 16a cb...

So I was told that apart of ampers there are different curves per cb... For inrush current.
OK Lets get down to brass tack etc. What is the gear you want to run in the room and what is the max draw for each piece in amps or watts?

OP
R

roxor

The least said about these , the better...
Why do u think so? :)

Well I don't want to install anything by myself as u mentioned its really dangerous.

The problem is to find out good electrician with an appropriate knowledge... Here so many ppl are doing that but their knowledge is miserable... So they might do more damage at the end...

That's why I want to discuss design... On paper...and later on question on it some certified electrician...

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Why do u think so? :)

Well I don't want to install anything by myself as u mentioned its really dangerous.

The problem is to find out good electrician with an appropriate knowledge... Here so many ppl are doing that but their knowledge is miserable... So they might do more damage at the end...

That's why I want to discuss design... On paper...and later on question on it some certified electrician...
The very very best advise to give you professionally is to buy quality CB and peripheral stuff from brands like @FrantzM advised you to do. Forget about fancy schamcy stuff and exotic specs that make no difference in this application.

OP
R

roxor

OK Lets get down to brass tack etc. What is the gear you want to run in the room and what is the max draw for each piece in amps or watts?
Musical fidelity nu Vista m3,
And as I said currently it randomly tripping (when powering on) 10 and 16a cb.... So not sure if use same cb ie 16a but only with different curve - so it can sustain higher inrush current.

DAC and network streamer are few wats.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
And as I said currently it randomly tripping (when powering on) 10 and 16a cb

I had a trippy one, that I replaced.

They don't last forever.

Top Bottom