• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Choosing a closed back headphones, mid range price

OP
G

Gug

Hello,

I confirm i prefer the EQ DT 1770 over the EQ DT 770. I found it home detailled, more precised.
Bass go as deeps, but with a little more details, they are more hum .... vocabulary .... detailled ? precise ? striging ?
Perhaps a little less sub ... perhaps ... ?

Joramun

I'm in Australia and got b stock Focal Eligia's for AUD $399.

Not bad considering their original retail price.

The headphones look brand new. The only damage was to the external box. Not the actual box the headphones were in.

OP
G

Gug

Hello,

Nice :) But what I read seems to present the elegia as bass dry or bass short ?

Hum and about Aeon 2 noire closed, I read (and listen from yt) that it lacks slam/slaps and impact ... any opinion on this around here ?
Celesetee seems better in this region with dynamics

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
By the way, any advice / opinion about the Audeze Maxwell regarding the sound ?
(Heavy, indeed, but well priced with lots of stuff emeded)
Seen good reviews on rting.com and headphones.com channel. But then again, also seen Joshua Valour on headphones.com channel so... hard to say. Looks like the DSP does a lot of correction but not sure how it would sound with the good old 3.5mm cable.

OP
G

Gug

Thanks you. Indeed not a lot of review for sure :(

I really suppose that the 3.5 jack présent for backup or convinience. But thé main usage id through the BT and dsp.

Joramun

Hello,

Nice :) But what I read seems to present the elegia as bass dry or bass short ?

Hum and about Aeon 2 noire closed, I read (and listen from yt) that it lacks slam/slaps and impact ... any opinion on this around here ?
Celesetee seems better in this region with dynamics
The bass is fine to me.

There's a review of the Eligia here as well as YouTube reviews. They're generally positive.

I also applied EQ settings as per Oratory's recommendation.

OP
G

Gug

Hello,

Just a quick confirmation : I find the DT 1770 more detailled, with more informations but is more demanding against the source, the mix quality. At low level, the DT 1770 give more impact I found.
The DT700 is more easy, more foregiven, and for long session I suppose less tiring.

Hard to say wich one to choose ...

Are you agree or not with this statement about both headphones ? opinions ?

Regards

Last edited:

sharock

I'll throw another option into the mix.:D

Denon AH-D5200.

Also, note the DT1770 measures differently depending if you use velour or leatherette pads as seen in Oratory's measurements.

1690217544041.png

OP
G

Gug

o_O Not sure, some return talks about something muddy ... at the end i dunno.

Hum any one have listen the last Ollo S4R v1.2 ? Pads seems a little larger/roomer by 0,4mm ( to be confirmed)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Not sure, some return talks about something muddy ... at the end i dunno.
Muddy-ness is in the 250Hz band. The Denon has a bit too much of it and the DT1770 a bit too little. Too much 250Hz usually translates to muddy bass. Too little makes bass a bit 'dis-attached' from the other instruments. Preference for sound comes into play as well a bit.

Rok once told me the only difference between 1.1 and 1.2 is the cable connection, and thus the wooden cup, connector and cable connector.
Pads do seem to have generous tolerances and are a bit on the small side (diameter) so a few more mm's could be welcome.
My S4R 1.1 and S4X both measured 51mm in diameter yet the datasheet mentions 55mm.

The S5X states 57.5mm inner diameter but measured 56mm on mine.

OP
G

Gug

@solderdude : thank you :)

At the end I found the DT 1770 really enjoyable and fun but with some harshness in the trebble and can be quickly tiring when I am tired ... Don't find the "good" EQ sadly
And I was finding the 700 pro x a little borring lol ... Perhaps i can't get both world :) A mix between 1770 and 700 :D
Sadly I really didn't like when my ears touch the pads .... found this more annoying than the weight.

I supose, for open, I needs to put an ear under the sundara, but, for now, need a closedback headphone :)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The DT1770 can be easily modified. The filter will completely remove the sharpness.
I find it quite enjoyable once modified (and filtered) and does no need any EQ.

Did you get a chance to try Focal Celestee?

Nope, seems like a good headphone, a bit too 'Harman' for my taste most likely.

OP
G

Gug

Did you get a chance to try Focal Celestee?

Yes, but quickly, don't have the "brain burn-in time".
I found it mid centric, beautiful voices for sure, trebbles are "relax" non aggressive for sure.
But for the bass : missing something, i found them "one note bass", "boom and that's all", lack of differences, details, nuances, ... dunno how to call it, very strange.
And for guitars and so on missing something too ... "smoke on the water" seems "flat", no engaging rock
And fore sure I lake of "engaging fun groovy style". Relax and beautifful on voice, but well miss something ... and for the price ...

Moreover I found it a little bit on the heavy side and comfort is acceptable (but far to be like on a sofa) ...

So for the price point ...

The DT1770 can be easily modified. The filter will completely remove the sharpness.
I find it quite enjoyable once modified (and filtered) and does no need any EQ.

Yes I have seen, not too complicated indeed. The trebble seems to be really tamed !
Not complicated to do it, for sure ! I will buy the stuff :)

Hum any chance to have the equalizer settings for this result ?

By the way any one tried the pillow pad of DT 700 on DT1770 ?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
8kHz -7dB would get rid of the treble peak.
Experiment with Q between 0.5 and 1.0

Have not swapped pads... for some reason. Easily could have it seems. Not buying 700 nor 900 again though.

Reactions: Gug
OP
G

Gug

8kHz -7dB would get rid of the treble peak.
Experiment with Q between 0.5 and 1.0

Have not swapped pads... for some reason. Easily could have it seems. Not buying 700 nor 900 again though.

Thank you, will test with :)

Ok notted ! will search if some one have done it :)

OP
G

Gug

Hi,
Hum, perhaps, did you know a headphones with the bass of DT 1770 and high-mid / trebble of the focal ?
Or simply it's not physically possible to consiliate both :D

Well for now I'm asking myself to go back to the DT 700 pro X. Because at the end, I will probably use it more ... More relax.
DT 1770 is strinking and precesion, really great, but tiering too.

Last edited:
OP
G

Gug

Finally, and sadly, I did'nt find how to manage the hot (to my ear) high mids and trebble ... I prefer to send it back due to the price point of this headphone.
Well I try many eq without sucess ... with a minimum of mids/trebble the hot spot remains ...

Hum Is it possible that is distorition ?
@solderdude clearly point some distortion ... a peak of 3nd rank at 3khz and relatively higl level of thd > 4khz ?

OP
G

Gug

Hello,

Just see that I have post in the wrong subsection :( :D
Possible to move it ?

thx

unexperienced

By the way, any advice / opinion about the Audeze Maxwell regarding the sound ?
(Heavy, indeed, but well priced with lots of stuff emeded)

Hello everyone I've been using Audeze Maxwell for about two months already. Before Maxwell, there were Sony MDR Z7m2 headphones with a player, and before Sony, I had wireless B&W PX7 of the first edition. Of course, like everyone else, when choosing headphones for myself, I tried to listen to as many classmates as possible from those available both at a price and in stores. Audeze Maxwell+ smartphone, bundles sound better then Sony MDR Z7m2+Fiio Btr7, for example. In both cases, when using LDAC communication at the maximum. I liked the Sony MDR Z7m2+Fiio m11 plus bundle more. But Fiio m11 plus, it's a complete player, don't forget. So far, Audeze Maxwell wireless headphones are the undisputed favorite, at a very reasonable price. I have an xBox version with a Dolby Atmos license, this thing is worth trying. The Maxwell analog cable sounds no worse and no better than LDAC , and I won 't say that it 's better over USB C. However, with a windows computer, Maxwell's sounds best with USB C. It feels like you have perfectly balanced planar headphones, connected to an expensive DAC on your head.

Top Bottom