• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cheap volume control for active speakers?

OP
Kaktus_Kontrafaktus
Grüße nach Bremen noch! Schöne Stadt.
Is schon ganz nett hier aber ich fände Berlin interessanter... immerhin kommt man schnell nach Hamburg und relativ zügig nach Amsterdam.
(Ich hab' aber weniger Anlass für die Fahrt seit alle meine Konzerttickets storniert wurden)

The shorter, the better, 1.50 m is no problem... But in the 10m range shielding is important. I've got one cable from Cordial, it's a good quality, the other one I can't judge. The last cables I made myself, got it from Segor here in Berlin: very well-shielded RCA cable, great quality, think I payed for 10 m 7 Euros. I could't find it actually on Segor's site, they might only have in the shop, and trim it for your wanted length. But without a soldering iron it would't help you anyway. The cheap ready ones of Segor's I wouldn't recommend.

I've never had any issues with cordial either, only the "sssnake" cables from Thomann tend to be garbage. For custom cable I've made good experiences with Musik-Produktiv, well made and the price they quoted me was very similar to their prices for off-the-shelf cables of similar configuration (same cable stock & Neutrik NC3MXXB/FXXB connectors and proper colour coding on top).

I'm guessing these cheap 10m cinch cables from Amazon might be problematic, is there any reason not to use these DMX cables instead of ordinary XLR cables? The better shielding and lower capacitance should be beneficial and the 110 ohms characteristic impedance shouldn't be an issue or am I missing something?

I was going to supply my friend with cables from my pile (which would have saved him some money on TRS cables for the JBL/Mackie), I'm thinking of gifting him some decent cable so he doesn't skimp and regrets it later.

Last edited:
OP
Kaktus_Kontrafaktus
I suppose one scenario for a volume control is if one has such a setup, dac-->Topping A50-->volume control-->active speakers , then one can fix the volume of the active speakers and let the volume control, control the volume of the speakers since A50 doesn't have a preamp feature

The Topping L30 would do both, it might be a bit expensive for him though since his Philips X2s play 2nd fiddle to his Stax (SRM-1 mk2 Pro + SR Lambda Pro) and the Aune X1s already has reasonable headphone amp (the 5.9 ohms output impedance isn't great for 30 ohms headphones, though).

Selling the Aune and buying e.g. a Topping DX3 Pro would work, too. As a final setup, Topping L30+E30 for 270€ would be a good step up from the Topping DX3 Pro for 220€ though.

raif71

Major Contributor
The Topping L30 would do both, it might be a bit expensive for him though since his Philips X2s play 2nd fiddle to his Stax (SRM-1 mk2 Pro + SR Lambda Pro) and the Aune X1s already has reasonable headphone amp (the 5.9 ohms output impedance isn't great for 30 ohms headphones, though).

Selling the Aune and buying e.g. a Topping DX3 Pro would work, too. As a final setup, Topping L30+E30 for 270€ would be a good step up from the Topping DX3 Pro for 220€ though.

Noted. I was just musing over a thought of owning an A50 and how I would control the volume to external speakers. Saw a cheap offering of a used A50 awhile back.

Last edited:

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@Kaktus_Kontrafaktus I’d recommend you avoid adding an extra component in the signal path to keep things simple and “pure”. I’d look at offerings from Topping of DAC’s with a digital volume and balanced output. I have the D90 and love its performance and overall ease of use.

If money is no object, the Dac8 Stereo is likely to be even better.

Bob-23

The better shielding and lower capacitance should be beneficial and the 110 ohms
That sounds good. There shoudn't be any problems. Just looked at the Nob: It looks good, it doesn't seem to have an input buffer, though - but it think that's alright: just calculated the bass roll-off of the potential highpass filter (only in case the dac has an output capacitor, if it's dc coupled, it doesn't): Say, the dac's output cap is 20 uf, then we'd have a bass roll-off at 10 Hz (-3dB point), in the worst case of the vol pot being at 2K - that's alright.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Looks like a bad copy of the discontinued Emotiva Control Freak, at least it's actually balanced (unlike e.g. the Big Knob) but so is the JBL Nano.
It is the other way around. The TC has been available for many years, long before any of the similar products. In fact, before Emotiva existed.
FWIW, it works well. I had balanced (XLR) one a long time ago and I ended up giving it to a loudspeaker company for use in their audio show demos.

OP
Kaktus_Kontrafaktus
That sounds good. There shoudn't be any problems. Just looked at the Nob: It looks good, it doesn't seem to have an input buffer, though - but it think that's alright: just calculated the bass roll-off of the potential highpass filter (only in case the dac has an output capacitor, if it's dc coupled, it doesn't): Say, the dac's output cap is 20 uf, then we'd have a bass roll-off at 10 Hz (-3dB point), in the worst case of the vol pot being at 2K - that's alright.
Thanks.

I think I've found a better solution.
The SMpro M-Patch V2 (different from the M-Patch 2) has a (somewhat coarse) stepped attenuator (which can be swapped for an included continuous pot if desired, likely the same one as in the JBL/SMpro Patch Nano).
I found a good condition used one for 45€.

mpatchv2_hires1.jpg

mpatchv2_hires2.jpg

V2_04.PNG

v2_02.PNG

V2_stepped.PNG

V2_03.PNG

(manual)

Bob-23

Thanks.

I think I've found a better solution.
The SMpro M-Patch V2 (different from the M-Patch 2) has a (somewhat coarse) stepped attenuator (which can be swapped for an included continuous pot if desired, likely the same one as in the JBL/SMpro Patch Nano).
I found a good condition used one for 45€.

mpatchv2_hires1.jpg

mpatchv2_hires2.jpg

View attachment 81707
View attachment 81708
View attachment 81712
View attachment 81709
(manual)

Good luck with the unit!
To be honest: I'd use the vol pot of the (desktop) speakers, even if it's a bit inconvenient.

Last edited:
OP
Kaktus_Kontrafaktus
Good luck with the unit!
To be honest: I'd use the vol pot of the (desktop) speakers, even it's a bit inconvenient.
They won't be sitting on top of a desk...

OP
Kaktus_Kontrafaktus

robertospeed

But does the Nobsound NS-08P PRO have the tone controls? bass and treeple? or is the version without Pro to have them?
I am interested in the tone controls

Top Bottom