• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cheap ~25$ SPDOF/Optical to RCA/Aux Dac

Guddu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Dear FMs,
Many dongle or small form factor dacs have been tested here with decent to good measurements, but they all are primarily usb dacs only.
Are there any decent optical/spdif dacs that you could recommend, may be measured/tested somewhere else, if not here?

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
FMs?

Not into the individual dac thing much myself, but probably a dongle meant to be used with a computer/headphones particularly could well be different market from those using a variety of connections....but there are dacs that have been measured on ASR with a variety of input types....

JLGF1

Opticial/coax input DACS will be desktop form-factor for the most part. There are lots of them, but the decent ones are not in the $25 price range like the portable phone dacs (which is why they are USB). There should be some models in the $75-$100 range. One I can think of off the top of my head would be the Fosi K5. I like it because it has tone controls for slight FR tweaking (not to go overboard).

At the end of May the K5 was only $60 on Amazon. It seems to be up to $78 now.

Sicaris

The smsl ps100 might fit the bill, not sota conversion but could be good enough. See this thread for more info.

OP
Guddu

Guddu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Opticial/coax input DACS will be desktop form-factor for the most part. There are lots of them, but the decent ones are not in the $25 price range like the portable phone dacs (which is why they are USB). There should be some models in the $75-$100 range. One I can think of off the top of my head would be the Fosi K5. I like it because it has tone controls for slight FR tweaking (not to go overboard).

At the end of May the K5 was only $60 on Amazon. It seems to be up to $78 now.
I was ideally looking for some similar to dongle dacs, simple and lighter to hide behind TV.
I actually found couple of such products on Amazon but there wasn’t any helpful tests.
Finally ordered SMSL PS100.

Last edited:

henologist

There's the FiiO D03K but I'm not aware of any measurements for it unfortunately. I'm currently using it to connect a TV's optical out to the RCA input of an RCA-only receiver, because it's less noisy than the 3.5mm output on the TV. It seems to be getting phased out of production but you can still find a few for $20. It's small and powered through a mini USB connection.

Juampa1989

I was ideally looking for some similar to dongle dacs, simple and lighter to hide behind TV.
I actually found couple of such products on Amazon but there wasn’t any helpful tests.
Finally ordered SMSL PS100.
Hello, how has it worked for you?

Top Bottom