• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Celebrity RIP Thread

Robin L

Master Contributor
Maurizio Pollini, a celebrated Italian pianist whose playing combined intellectual rigor with technical mastery, died March 23 at age 82.

maurizio-pollini-erich-auerbach.jpg

EERecordist

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maurizio Pollini, a celebrated Italian pianist whose playing combined intellectual rigor with technical mastery, died March 23 at age 82.

View attachment 358983

He had the greatest technique of any pianist in the history of recorded music. With file-based playback or streaming, it's easy to compare his technique to anyone else's - an exercise that confirms there is no comparison.

RIP

rgpit

Forum Donor
Lou Gossett Jr was amazing in the great SciFi movie Enemy Mine.

DSJR

Major Contributor
I only heard today, but UK reviewer and writer for HiFi News and HiFi Choice amongst others, Paul Messenger, passed away a few weeks ago. Not sure if this information found its way here, but he was an important part of our UK based industry in the bad old days of the 80's, he wrote many many articles admittedly from a subjective stance but, unlike other blindly ignorant subjectivist people I once knew, he really did know a thing or two and aligned himself with what he felt comfortable with, while accepting what else was out there and what was really going on. I met him a handful of times but only really only had a proper chat with him a few years back at a funeral of a shared friend/acquaintance. Wish I'd known him better as he was a gentle giant of a man and happy to share his knowledge and experiences...

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Top Bottom