• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RIP Tony Bennett (Anthony Dominick Benedetto)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
A very sad day for music lovers, it was announced today that Tony Bennett 96 has passed away from undisclosed reasons.
We know he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's way back in 2016 but continued performing and recording until just recently.
I grew up listening to Tony, one of my fathers favorite singers and once I passed my teen years a growing appreciation of
his music took over a bit of my music collection. Attempting to write this obit here has my hands shaking and tears on my face.
One of the very best artists of the Greatest Generation, he'll be missed by more music lovers than perhaps any singer in history.
RIP Anthony, you are loved.
Sal

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My mom (97) sighed when I told her. She and I were both born in "in the city by the bay". When the Queen Mother went down she said "I out-lived the Queen of England".
His best music was his jazz stuff and I mean the best of the best, because almost anything he did before the seventies was very good. What a voice. Ellington said he had the greatest male voice.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I listen to those Duet albums and I marvel. Definitely a sad day, but it helps to know the man led an incredibly accomplished and fulfilling life, and was beloved by all who came into contact with him. By all accounts a great artist and an even better human being.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
My favorites were the duets as well.
I enjoy the Gaga duets but also very much the full albums of,
Tony Bennett & K. D. Lang - A Wonderful World
Tony Bennett & Diana Krall - Love Is Here To Stay

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like the older stuff but all is good, these albums are my faves;
Basie Swings/Bennett Sings (59)
If I Ruled the World
Duets with Bill Evans

Philbo King

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Before I was given a Zuckerberg Facebook ban, Tony was on my friends list. Very nice guy. Very talented painter too.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
I knew this was coming and it still fucking hurts.

The last two albums with Lady Gaga really says it all... the 2014 "Cheek to Cheek" was a pretty decent all round.. a bit telegraphed and a hackneyed effort but what did you expect

but by 2021 "Love for Sale" time had really caught up... it was the last chance for any reasonable performance before it was too late.

Top Bottom