• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CD Player / Transport with Digital Out

MacCali

Major Contributor
So, to continue this thread, Harley Lovegrove of Pearl Acoustics (Sibelius speaker line featuring Markaudio driver) tried his best to see if the CD transport function of a wide range of players made a difference. Actually did a 3-part Youtube series on this, starting with development of the CD player. He double blind tested with folks whose ears he trusted. Compared players from a vintage CD Walkman to a 5000EU modern Pro-Ject player. Newer, more expensive stuff wins.

I watched this right when they all came out as I was in search of a quality CD player.

I would just have to say the guy is too high on the spectrum. He also states that all CD players he tested pretty much sound the same used as a transport.

Save yourself the headache and just do that.

I’ve heard the Cyrus recently at an audio show and even though it wasn’t bad the price is too high. *without the external ps.

Honestly I was extremely impressed by the Marantz 67se, not sure the precise numbers but that should be fairly close. That’s the best sounding CD player I’ve heard thus far and it’s only a couple 100. But no SACD which is actually what I’m looking for and probably a waste of time too, on my part.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Well, if that's the case, then I really screwed up this thread. Damn analogophiles!

Honest mistake.

Even as a test of CD-players, it wasn't very conclusive/helpful.

The seven players wasn't measured first to see it there was any nonlinearities with a magitude indicating audible differences. It would have been endlessly more helpful to find out what the expensive players do different that makes them more enjoyable. Instead we get the usual weird idea of higher price tags having some inherent link to higher sound quality.

Also, the test subjects didn't know which player was active, but the test administrator did. Nitpicking perhaps, but there's a risk of the Clever Hans effect being at play.

Top Bottom