• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CD Player / Transport with Digital Out

sq225917

Major Contributor
But you're not using a cd player you're using the digital out of a multiformat player who's cost includes all manner of things not found in cd players and whose spdif output in 2 channel is probably an afterthought.

But as ever, level match, blind test, reevaluate...

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, there might be a difference in my experience. With the average old school CD player, you put the CD on the tray, press play, and in very few seconds you are dancing. With an entry level dvd player, it can take much longer... veeery long, somehow it ruins the experience for me, though i understand it might not matter to others...
Agree. Aesthetics and usability matter; CD players can be much better than DVD players in this aspect of the playback experience. Both player types retrieve bits from a CD equally well in my experience.

I used a NAD DVD changer for many years as my primary transport and it sounds no different than a single tray CD player when using the same DAC. When I replaced it with an Insignia CD changer, the CD changer was notably quicker, with a better remote.

Hong76

Hey all,

As I just found - a CD Player without DAC is called CD Transport, which then has only digital outputs.

So, if taking in consideration lets say a Blu-ray player with only digital outputs e.g. Sony UBP-X700, will it provide the same quality as McIntosh MCT80 to my DAC?

If not, what I am missing here? :) Wondering what kind of benefit can be from 2000$ CD Transport in comparison to 200$, is this the snake oil case or there is something more to it?
I think i can answer you with my experience, even my equipment is not hi end. Its a long story but i hope i can explain it clearly. Because english is not my first language.

the question is" Will it provide the same quality between ubp x700 and mct80 to your DAC?
the answer is YES.
WHY?
Here my story. I have lots of cd from 1989 till now. So lots of my collection have fair condition. Not clear like new cds.
i just bought CAMBRIDGE AUDIO CXA81 AND CD PLAYER CAMBRIDGE CXC V2 On this christmas.
my cxc use chord streamway coaxial to cxa81.

Its very good sound. I love it
and then i found a new problems. Some of my old cds with thin scratches ( because i used to play cd in car) are often skipped. I really love some of the albums. Its rare cd. to buy second on discogs is expensive.

so i bring my sony bpd s1500 (70$ usd) to my cxa. And try and connect it with cxa81 with streamway coaxial. And then play all the cds that cxc fail to play smoothly.
it works! But the sound quality is not the same. Not much. But if u pay attention. Its obvious. so i play the same cd and compare it. Cxc win the sound quality even now cxc use only cheap optical cable versus bdp s1500 use streamwat coaxial.
from this i cant judge that all bd player is worse than cd transport. Its just because my sony bdp s1500 is too bad. Even they use digital. The quality of product that produce the signals is different.
now im consider to buy sony ubp x700. Just for playing cds that my cd transport fail to play.

Hong76

There is really no way a transport will deliver anything different than a CD player with digital out or a DVD player or a Blu-Ray player will.

Ever hear the expression "bits is bits"? It's true. It's 1s and 0s.
Theoretically yes. But in reality. Its different. I already try it

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some transports do better with scratches and faults than others, but I have not experienced that this is fully correlated to price or date of manufacture. My old Cambridge Azur seems to be the best one I have had to handle less-than-perfect discs. The changers I have are more touchy, but not by a lot.

Hong76

Some transports do better with scratches and faults than others, but I have not experienced that this is fully correlated to price or date of manufacture. My old Cambridge Azur seems to be the best one I have had to handle less-than-perfect discs. The changers I have are more touchy, but not by a lot
Can you recommend a cd player that can read not so perfect cd?

pagan84

I know it is not the answer to your question but I recommend just ripping CDs. You will get 100% guaranteed 1:1 copy, and if your DVD-ROM can't read the disc your CD transport won't read it either. Also you get rid of all the BS connected with CD-buffer and SPDIF interface timing issues.

CD transport's bitstream will be different from standalone DVD/Blu-ray one because DVD/Blu-ray player resamples everything to 48kHz.
At least this is my experience, optic output.
Audiolab 6000CDT sends sweet 16bit/44.1kHz over optic.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My experience has been limited to a handful of players, maybe 6. My Cambridge Azur 640C has been my most reliable transport; it is over 15 years old. @restorer-john may have more expansive experience to relate.

Last edited:

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Unless you've done a proper DBT, you can't rely on your subjective impressions.
In general, I agree. If you have a Sony player that reads discs more consistently than the CXC, it could be worthwhile to do a DBT between the two with known good CDs.

However, it has been demonstrated that some DAC devices have significant differences in measured sound quality with different digital inputs: i.e. it's possible that the coax input is not as good as the optical input. That's conjecture for now, but something that can be tested. Amir has measured differences using USB and Toslink inputs on the CXA81.

These days, I would recommend a CD player for reliability, ergonomics and consistency of CD reads versus playing the "sounds better" game with a digital output device.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just go with something like this and you can watch videos too.

I have 1000+ CDs on a NAS and usually clean or polish the non-printed side with car headlight restorer to get them working if they fail. Some times copying them to a new CD -R does the trick. Maybe 5 of them I could not fix because the printed side was damaged.

Hong76

I have 1000+ CDs on a NAS and usually clean or polish the non-printed side with car headlight restorer to get them working if they fail. Some times copying them to a new CD -R does the trick. Maybe 5 of them I could not fix because the printed side was damaged.
I already use bdp s1500. And it play well. Just dont like the sound produce

Hong76

Unless you've done a proper DBT, you can't rely on your subjective impressions.

Nice idea to use car headlight restorer. I already purchase online for ethanol. If fail i try your method. Thanks

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice idea to use car headlight restorer. I already purchase online for ethanol. If fail i try your method. Thanks
Some others on ASR have used other forms of automotive paste wax with good results, too.

Hong76

Some others on ASR have used other forms of automotive paste wax with good results, too.

how do we apply it? With circular motion or from in to outside wipe

bfb1963

So, to continue this thread, Harley Lovegrove of Pearl Acoustics (Sibelius speaker line featuring Markaudio driver) tried his best to see if the CD transport function of a wide range of players made a difference. Actually did a 3-part Youtube series on this, starting with development of the CD player. He double blind tested with folks whose ears he trusted. Compared players from a vintage CD Walkman to a 5000EU modern Pro-Ject player. Newer, more expensive stuff wins.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Newer, more expensive stuff wins.
Didn't expect that. If their method was good, i would have expected no conclusive result (as it really should sound more or less the same i suppose) :oops:
Edit: their method wasn't good, so it's to be expected that the diamond encrusted transport wins over the dirty one.

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Newer, more expensive stuff wins.

Not when used as transports, or did I not see it right? 19:20 into the second video.

That's ignoring the fact that they didn't set up a controlled test, but did the standard sighted switching back and forth.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Harley Lovegrove of Pearl Acoustics (Sibelius speaker line featuring Markaudio driver) tried his best to see if the CD transport function of a wide range of players made a difference.

Well, no? From what I can tell he compared the analogue outputs and didn't test them as transports?

All bets are off then.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
sighted switching back and forth
1684148964445719.jpg

AHA!

Top Bottom