• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cary Audio SLI-80HS integrated amplifier measurements, Stereophile

Robin L

Master Contributor
Last edited:
OP
Robin L

Robin L

Master Contributor

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
From page 1:

"Cary Audio's follow-up to the SLI-80 Signature integrated alters its forebear with a cosmetic makeover, solid-state rectification, and numerous internal upgrades. "The primary change with the SLI-80HS was to move from vacuum tube rectification to solid-state rectification," Cary Audio President Billy Wright told me in an email. "Solid-state rectification adds excellent pace and dynamics to the music.."

To my knowledge, everything in my audio chain has solid state rectification.

Sources -> Switch -> EQ -> DSP -> DAC -> Preamp -> Amps -> Speakers (SS rectified bias voltage)

That's at least 8 additions of pace and dynamics.

Have I accidentally overdosed myself on pace and dynamics and not realized I have an issue?

OP
Robin L

Robin L

Master Contributor
From page 1:

"Cary Audio's follow-up to the SLI-80 Signature integrated alters its forebear with a cosmetic makeover, solid-state rectification, and numerous internal upgrades. "The primary change with the SLI-80HS was to move from vacuum tube rectification to solid-state rectification," Cary Audio President Billy Wright told me in an email. "Solid-state rectification adds excellent pace and dynamics to the music.."

To my knowledge, everything in my audio chain has solid state rectification.

Sources -> Switch -> EQ -> DSP -> DAC -> Preamp -> Amps -> Speakers (SS rectified bias voltage)

That's at least 8 additions of pace and dynamics.

Have I accidentally overdosed myself on pace and dynamics and not realized I have an issue?
You might find yourself enjoying the sort of treble that Michael Fremer doesn't like. That might turn out to be a problem.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Good lord. That amp is busted.

OP
Robin L

Robin L

Master Contributor
" . . . though the Cary SLI-80HS's measured performance is what I would expect from a tubed design that uses a push-pull pair of KT88 output tubes and a limited degree of overall negative feedback, I remain bothered by the differences in noise and low-frequency linearity between the channels . . . . . . whichever mode the user prefers, the SLI-80HS's 4 ohm output taps will work better than the 8 ohm taps with all but high-impedance loudspeakers"

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor

It's something... the word I thought of when I read the measurement data is unprintable.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When you take to much you become immune and need to keep upping the dose to get the lovely hit. You need some more gear.

Top Bottom