• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Carver Crimson 275 Review (Tube Amp)

Rate this amplifier

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 379 95.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 9 2.3%

• Total voters

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That was from that very special representative here to wave his arms mightily...

Looks like it was directed at another...member. ;)

I knew I saw that somewhere. Thanks for the reference. That’s the one I was trying to reference and knew that if you followed this amp discussion it would be funny.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I was electrocuted and so was my wife... in the kitchen.
I've been zapped so many times I forget them except 2 zaps. One was a very nasty zap and the other a guy that was near dead and did eventually die. It's not to be fooled with. Thankfully I have never taken a zap from a high voltage tube amp.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Each amp comes with a calibrated, wooden handled broom…

Should include a fire extinguisher and a defibrillator. For when it actually does burn-in.

SaltyCDogg

This drama felt like it was reaching its unsatisfying conclusion, or at the very least the discussion had moved on, but then some new actors of questionable motivation started it up again.

I can't really understand how muddying the water of a 95 page thread that begins in such damning fashion achieves anything.

Gringoaudio1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I want to be very clear, I am not defending this product and no offense to all the EE’s out here. But if there is the possibility of being electrocuted because of the way it’s designed don’t you think they’d recall it or do whatever they could to limit the liability? The liability from this sort of thing is unlimited. Might even be criminal if someone were killed and the company knew it had faulty wiring.
And I guess this is what is so terribly disappointing. Bob Carver Corporation apparently not even a corporation and it is on top of that a fly-by-night operation. They are likely not financially sound enough to recall these units.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, but killing someone could take it to another level. They’ve been making amplifiers long enough to know how to not electrocute someone.
The evidence (complete failure to earth the metal chassis of a non double insulated product containing potentially lethal voltages) suggests otherwise.

Everett T

Forum Donor
I want to be very clear, I am not defending this product and no offense to all the EE’s out here. But if there is the possibility of being electrocuted because of the way it’s designed don’t you think they’d recall it or do whatever they could to limit the liability? The liability from this sort of thing is unlimited. Might even be criminal if someone were killed and the company knew it had faulty wiring.
You'd be surprised at how many electrical products are unsafe. From amps destroying speakers to much worse. Emotiva has a suspect history with this, as well as Arcus and their history of no DC offset protection for years.

egellings

Major Contributor
If they all have that itty-bitty output transformerlet under the can, they will not live up to spec.

Greg P

That is not the case--at least as far as the term Quality Control was officially used--with the software companies I worked for, but it is certainly a good idea and I'm glad to hear it is being implemented at the design phase. Maybe it long has been when it comes tphardware, and I was just unaware of it.
Yes, I would say that Tony Collett's definition applies more to QA than QC.

DFW

Forum Donor
You'd be surprised at how many electrical products are unsafe. From amps destroying speakers to much worse. Emotiva has a suspect history with this, as well as Arcus and their history of no DC offset protection for years.
A bit late to the party but it’s been an enlightening discussion for me. I was about to buy one then fell into the rabbit hole….

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This drama felt like it was reaching its unsatisfying conclusion, or at the very least the discussion had moved on, but then some new actors of questionable motivation started it up again.

I can't really understand how muddying the water of a 95 page thread that begins in such damning fashion achieves anything.
Wilson Audio is thankful for this thread

vkhong

Come visit Bob Carver Corp in person :)
Florida Audio Expo - Listening in Paradise, Feb 18 to 20, 2022, Tampa, Florida, US
1644182950619.png

Shazb0t

A bit late to the party but it’s been an enlightening discussion for me. I was about to buy one then fell into the rabbit hole….
If the multiple standardized test results and discussion aren't enough to steer you away from this overpriced pile, then I don't know what else possibly could.

Reactions: DFW
Top Bottom