• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Carver Crimson 275 Review (Tube Amp)

Rate this amplifier

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 379 95.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 9 2.3%

• Total voters

john2017

Have you met the man? Have you communicated with him extensively over the past decade? Do you own this amp or have any of his previous products? Did you work shoulder to shoulder with him to construct a pair of gorgeous tube amps over the course of two years? My guess is you have not done any of the above, so outside of a curiosity akin to driving by a train wreck, you have zero skin in the game....

BurntFinger

Forum Donor
Do you have any correspondence with him over this particular issue? Please elaborate.

john2017

Do you have any correspondence with him over this particular issue? Please elaborate.
I do not, why would I? I have not seen him in a couple years and it has been some time since we spoke. I certainly would not call him and tell him about this mess, as it is above my pay grade to do so. He has not been actively involved for a couple years now...

Holmz

Major Contributor

His floor joists were 2x6 when they should have been at least 2x8 if not 2x10 for how long they were. Incredible and scary.
One could use some of those springs under the speakers to account for the floor flexing. ;)

A house where you can't walk on the roof? Crazy.
Probably doesn’t get visits from Santa either? ;)

Was he in a good mood the day he added the fuse
He cared about the house Though.

Greg P

So what does "change the grounding" mean? Legalese to avoid admitting there isn't any?

"For any person with a 275 wanting to change the grounding or get a refund, email [email protected]"

BurntFinger

Forum Donor
Remember: BobCarverCorp is owned by Frank Malitz.(SP?) Bob be long gone.

I know, I took a while to get here.

Why would Bob defend a company that isn't his?
Asking for a few friends.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I congratulate @Bob Carver for posting here, but I think interacting with forum members and participating in the thread would be a lot more constructive than posting a “one off” message. But we should be humbled and honored, really, that he is taking at least some of the “suggestions” posted here to heart.

BurntFinger

Forum Donor
All of his messages seem to come through a single dealer with a lot of skin in the game.
Where is Frank, the owner of BobCarverCorp?

This is not on Bob... He`s a good soul!

He didnt build any of this gear. He designed the original circuitry. Others built and marketed it.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It has come to my attention that my amplifier design has come under sharp criticism on this forum.
Warm welcome to the forum Bob. We actually didn't gar that far in our evaluation. We got stopped at lack of power relative to its specifications and wisdom of not grounding an amplifier with high voltages inside it. And quality control issues that resulted in a loose screw rattling inside it in a brand new amplifier.

Good to hear people can return the amplifier and grounding can be fixed. Still, would be nice in the spirt of transparency to have your online specifications change to actual power capabilities of this amplifier especially in low frequencies.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Top Bottom