• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Carver Crimson 275 Review (Tube Amp)

Rate this amplifier

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 379 95.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 9 2.3%

• Total voters

Shazb0t

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not a troll = I have a vested interest in this
I have no anger. I was merely seeking answers to the questions I had asked.
The initial site measurements were validated and the amp still serves its intended purpose.
The questions of safety were most important to me.
My advice, send it back while you still can and buy a much better 75W+ power amplifier for your money. You can still buy tubes if you want, but get one that actually outputs something close to the specified power. This amp is clearly a ripoff.

Last edited:

Zackthedog

On my Crimson 275 Stereo:
C4 not used
C18 used
C19 used
Either there's a duplicate number on the PCB or no one's reading it right. ;-) C18 and C19 should be there. C4 and it's mate on the other end of the board (C?) are absent on any PCB shots I've seen.

traderitch

Answer this question for me as an Owner.

If the amp had been properly advertised as having 15 wpc, would you have purchased it? I would think you wouldn't have even considered it at such a power rating.

@traderitch

BTW, people fail to consider the logarithmic nature of power versus loudness. I once picked up an old Fisher intergrated with EL84s. Roughly 17.5 wpc. On some Quad ESL63s it played it not badly at all. The high impedance at low frequencies of the Quad helped. It even did okay on other normal speakers. It fell flat on its face with large ported speakers.
I understand the context of your question.
In post 346 I state that my unit is a CF275 unit (not a production unit).
It performs well in my particular application.
The noted potential safety issues are of greater significance than power output.

I do own a pair of Crimson 350 mono blocks.

Given this information, I will anticipate your next question.

If for some reason the 350’s were to measure at substantially less than the rated power, I would indeed purchase them. They have performed extremely well with all different speaker models. Quadrophenia at concert levels irrespective of speaker efficiency/sensitivity.
My listening area is approximately 8200 cubic feet.

vkhong

Either there's a duplicate number on the PCB or no one's reading it right. ;-) C18 and C19 should be there. C4 and it's mate on the other end of the board (C?) are absent on any PCB shots I've seen.
PXL_20220117_002922846.jpg

paulbottlehead

Audio Company
C4 and C19 go to the cathodes of V1, which has me believing they could be bypass caps across the 2K cathode resistors.

Mounting these caps on the other side of the PCB would be an odd choice, so I will be sure to figure out if they are actually there on the production model when I get it back tomorrow. These caps are not drawn into the schematic, so it's possible that the holes were filled with solder and there aren't any caps there at all.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
These caps are not drawn into the schematic, so it's possible that the holes were filled with solder and there aren't any caps there at all.

Amir's photo shows soldered component legs for sure in C4/C19

index.php

TriodeLuvr

"You have a satisfaction guarantee for 30 days with a Bob Carver purchase from Jim Clark Stereo in which you can return the 275 for a full refund.. I encourage customers to compare these amplifiers in direct head to head comparisons to any other amplifiers of a similar power rating. I’m not concerned with sine waves and powering load resistors to be perfectly honest. Who listens to sine waves and load resistors? Thats pretty boring and tells you nothing about the amplifiers sound, driving music into speaker loads."

That's a truly pathetic response regarding equipment that fails to meet published specifications. This is fraud, regardless of whether a dealer accepts returns. I hope one of the owners pursues this issue with the FTC.

PeteL

Major Contributor
What "community?" We have nearly 3 million visitors a month. Don't just look at who is posting. That is a tiny fraction of who reads our content. People search for "carver crimson 275 review" and land here. And will read what is posted.
OK sure, but what does it change to my point? what does the Bob Carver company would gain in commenting these numbers?

john2017

Attached is a picture of one of the tube amps I spent two years building with the help of Mr. Bob Carver. The black portions of the chassis are made from granite. They output nearly 400 WPC into 8ohms, and a touch above that into a 4ohm load. They are the centerpiece of my rig, and have performed flawlessly on a daily basis for ten years now. In that time, I have replaced two output tubes.

I bring this up to illustrate what kind of man Bob Carver is. He helped me, a man with zero experience in electronics, construct what are two of the most beautiful amplifiers you will ever lay ears on, and he did so from the kindness of his heart. He asked nothing in return.

My amps were born during the lead-up to what became the Carver Tube Amp company. At the time, He was building these amps for the Ebay crowd, and bidding on them was well north of 10k a pair. He and I discussed over several months and numerous phone calls, what was it about these amps that was making them sell for so much money. During those discussions, I told him he should think about taking them into production, but he did not want the headaches of running another company, no matter how small it would be. Within a year however, he did exactly that, and started a new company, which he then sold almost immediately to the folks behind Emotiva...

That partnership was exceptionally short-lived however, and they parted ways not long after production started in Kentucky. I am not certain, but shortly after, a man named Frank Malitz entered the picture. More on that later....

For several years, there has been a gathering of Carver fans known as CarverFest. It is a gathering of friends and audio enthusiasts centered upon the works of Mr. Carver. At these meets, you will find any number of events and listening sessions, discussions and in later years, a custom build of an amplifier or speaker... These events are a fun gathering that draws people from all over the country, and even from around the world.

I have never attended one of these events, but what I can say for certain is that if Bob said he was going to do something, it got done. If Bob says the Crimson 275 puts out 75wpc x2, when it left his workbench, that is what the amp could do. I find him to be a man of integrity, incredible talent, and true to his word.

Back to Mr. Frank Malitz... I want to be careful what I say here because I do not want to expose myself to a lawsuit for slander, but what I will say is that in all the years I have spent working in communications on back-lots and film sets here in Los Angeles, never have I dealt with someone more full of themselves than Frank Malitz. I do not trust the man any further than I could throw him. He is the man behind the curtain at Carver today, and he would sell the lug nuts off a total stranger's car to make a buck. Since he has been in charge, I have not recommended any of Carver's offerings to anyone, as I know all he is doing is exploiting the Carver name to line his pockets.

With regards to Jim Clark, after having spoken to Mr. Malitz, I can honestly say that it is 100 percent likely that Jim has no clue who he is dealing with in Mr. Malitz It is also certain that he knows nothing about the deficiencies of the current 275, but Frank Malitz does. It is his baby to run right now, and he could care less what damage it does to the Carver name.

Nice first post, I think.:eek:

Attachments

• bobamps....jpg
    bobamps....jpg
    48 KB · Views: 275
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OK sure, but what does it change to my point? what does the Bob Carver company would gain in commenting these numbers?
As a minimum, they could be more professional than dealer speaking for them. At max, they could say they will investigate and if they can't back their numbers, they would change specs and/or improve the product in the future.

PeteL

Major Contributor
As a minimum, they could be more professional than dealer speaking for them. At max, they could say they will investigate and if they can't back their numbers, they would change specs and/or improve the product in the future.
What make you say this dealer is speaking for them?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Attached is a picture of one of the tube amps I spent two years building with the help of Mr. Bob Carver. The black portions of the chassis are made from granite. They output nearly 400 WPC into 8ohms, and a touch above that into a 4ohm load. They are the centerpiece of my rig, and have performed flawlessly on a daily basis for ten years now. In that time, I have replaced two output tubes.

I bring this up to illustrate what kind of man Bob Carver is. He helped me, a man with zero experience in electronics, construct what are two of the most beautiful amplifiers you will ever lay ears on, and he did so from the kindness of his heart. He asked nothing in return.

My amps were born during the lead-up to what became the Carver Tube Amp company. At the time, He was building these amps for the Ebay crowd, and bidding on them was well north of 10k a pair. He and I discussed over several months and numerous phone calls, what was it about these amps that was making them sell for so much money. During those discussions, I told him he should think about taking them into production, but he did not want the headaches of running another company, no matter how small it would be. Within a year however, he did exactly that, and started a new company, which he then sold almost immediately to the folks behind Emotiva...

That partnership was exceptionally short-lived however, and they parted ways not long after production started in Kentucky. I am not certain, but shortly after, a man named Frank Malitz entered the picture. More on that later....

For several years, there has been a gathering of Carver fans known as CarverFest. It is a gathering of friends and audio enthusiasts centered upon the works of Mr. Carver. At these meets, you will find any number of events and listening sessions, discussions and in later years, a custom build of an amplifier or speaker... These events are a fun gathering that draws people from all over the country, and even from around the world.

I have never attended one of these events, but what I can say for certain is that if Bob said he was going to do something, it got done. If Bob says the Crimson 275 puts out 75wpc x2, when it left his workbench, that is what the amp could do. I find him to be a man of integrity, incredible talent, and true to his word.

Back to Mr. Frank Malitz... I want to be careful what I say here because I do not want to expose myself to a lawsuit for slander, but what I will say is that in all the years I have spent working in communications on back-lots and film sets here in Los Angeles, never have I dealt with someone more full of themselves than Frank Malitz. I do not trust the man any further than I could throw him. He is the man behind the curtain at Carver today, and he would sell the lug nuts off a total stranger's car to make a buck. Since he has been in charge, I have not recommended any of Carver's offerings to anyone, as I know all he is doing is exploiting the Carver name to line his pockets.

With regards to Jim Clark, after having spoken to Mr. Malitz, I can honestly say that it is 100 percent likely that Jim has no clue who he is dealing with in Mr. Malitz It is also certain that he knows nothing about the deficiencies of the current 275, but Frank Malitz does. It is his baby to run right now, and he could care less what damage it does to the Carver name.

If you have contact with Mr. Carver, show him the measurements here. Along with pictures of the internal construction we'll know if it is Bob's design or Mr. Malitz has cheapened it.

john2017

If you have contact with Mr. Carver, show him the measurements here. Along with pictures of the internal construction we'll know if it is Bob's design or Mr. Malitz has cheapened it.
I have not had contact with Bob in two years now. I can tell you that the guts I see in these pictures are not the way this design would have left his hands. Shortcuts abound.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor

For what its worth, the name on the schematic of the 275 in the owner's manual is Jordon Gerber, which implies Bob Carver either didn't design the amp or that it was changed along the line from what it originally was.

Even in its present non-ability to reach published specs, if they simply would have listed the power as something like "15 watts with short term ability to reach 75 watts at x% distortion", that could have been validated in the testing here. But I can't see any excuses for the poor workmanship and disregard for safety considerations.

Just a bad showing all around and a pity.

dfuller

Major Contributor
The amplifier produced 29 watts after which it blew its 3 amp mains fuse.
This immediately made me suspicious. I have enough experience with guitar amps to know that a guitar amp (which is specced for roughly 5% THD at rated output power) would have at least a 4 amp if not a 5 amp fuse for that kind of tube complement and rated power output. Bullshit specs aside, the build quality looks like the inside of a $500 Jet City guitar amp. Color me unimpressed.

Top Bottom