• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Carver Crimson 275 Review (Tube Amp)

Rate this amplifier

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 380 95.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 9 2.3%

• Total voters

DFW

Forum Donor
People tend to “pile on” when something measures badly and costs $$$$.
Have you read the whole thread and seen the issues and multiple samples etc?
Maybe look around at what’s going on here a little bit with other products etc.
Yeah, I actually have and there's certainly good info on this site. My comment is not uninformed at all. I find this particular situation, with this amp unbelievable. I don't believe the measurements from the review. Maybe they're right, I'm not an EE. There's just something not right about this entire situation. There's got to be more to all this....................

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been playing the audiophile game for over forty years. It is highly unlikely that Bob Carver would put a product out there that measures the way this review says it does. Something's wrong with all of this. Most of these comments come from people jumping on the band wagon and have never even listened to one of these amps and you believe everything published on this site. I'm not an attorney but I'd certainly be talking to one if I were Bob Carver. This is nothing short of slander.
To litigate this matter would require disproving the loose screw that was found inside, explaining the missing safety ground and associated double insulated symbol plus a clear explanation why a rated 75W/ch amp puts out a fraction of that power. With the popularity and reputation of Carver gear there would be blowback. To take this into a court of law would be a poor choice. A judge would not look favorably upon Carver.

Last edited:

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Yeah, I actually have and there's certainly good info on this site. My comment is not uninformed at all. I find this particular situation, with this amp unbelievable. I don't believe the measurements from the review. Maybe they're right, I'm not an EE. There's just something not right about this entire situation. There's got to be more to all this....................
Everybody loves a good conspiracy theory.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Measuring power output is something a base level technician can do and calculate never mind a experienced electrical engineer with many years of experience and is using test gear that is calibrated and traceable. It's not rocket science but it is electronics and for some people they deny the physics and want more than the numbers offer.

DFW

Forum Donor
Civil torts for defamation involve calumny, libel or slander. All three of these have two things in common; that they are lies and that they have malicious intent.

If you see anything in this thread that is a lie on our part, please point it out to us. We have, for our part, pointed out aspects of the product in question that are measured by professional instruments.

If you are distressed with the outcome of those efforts, then I assure you that the cause does not lie with us, but more likely with you. Jim
My opinion is that the review and the measurements presented are wrong and potentially libel. Just my opinion, that is all. The comments from the peanut gallery are of no concern to me.

L0rdGwyn

Forum Donor
My opinion is that the review and the measurements presented are wrong and potentially libel. Just my opinion, that is all. The comments from the peanut gallery are of no concern to me.

On what basis?

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
The comments from the peanut gallery are of no concern to me.
The ASR peanut gallery consists mostly of professional audio engineers and electronics engineers.

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So, somehow the very precise AP used to produce the measurements of a basic audio device is wrong? It can't accurately measure the "magic"? Perhaps Carver has a different meaning for both "75" and "watts"? :facepalm:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I find this particular situation, with this amp unbelievable. I don't believe the measurements from the review. Maybe they're right, I'm not an EE.

Why? Do you own one and like it?

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been playing the audiophile game for over forty years. It is highly unlikely that Bob Carver would put a product out there that measures the way this review says it does. Something's wrong with all of this. Most of these comments come from people jumping on the band wagon and have never even listened to one of these amps and you believe everything published on this site. I'm not an attorney but I'd certainly be talking to one if I were Bob Carver. This is nothing short of slander.
I for one wouldn't mind if they take this to court (but Amir and @paulbottlehead probably will). Have you heard of a pre-trial procedure called discovery?

DFW

Forum Donor
I would very rarely make this statement, but your opinion is just wrong. Yes, you are entitled to it, but it is still demonstrably and verifiably wrong.
I understand and maybe I am wrong. I just don't understand why someone that's been in the business for so long would put a product out like that and intentionally misrepresent it to such an extreme. Knowing full well it would be exposed at some point. It's insanity.............

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I understand and maybe I am wrong. I just don't understand why someone that's been in the business for so long would put a product out like that and intentionally misrepresent it to such an extreme.
I agree, and was very disheartened by this.
Knowing full well it would be exposed at some point.
I really don't think he did. Had @paulbottlehead not received one for repair and started investigating after discovering how subpar its performance was, it would still be unknown.

FYI, in case you did not see the original thread: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/carver-crimson-275-measurements.29271/

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

The number of ways in which this post is wrong in just a few lines is a model of concision. Well done!

DFW

Forum Donor
Why? Do you own one and like it?
I don't but have spent time with one powering Cornwall iv's, JBL L100 C75's and Elysian 4's. It was up against a Luxman 550axii and really held it's own. Sounded great.............

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
tenor.gif

Top Bottom