• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Carver Crimson 275 Review (Tube Amp)

Rate this amplifier

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 379 95.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 9 2.3%

• Total voters

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, the dealer I bought the 275 from was initially totally fine with me returning it, but seems to be changing his tune. I'll give him another day to provide an RMA number and after that I may need some help from the peanut gallery.
What state is he in?

norcalscott

Forum Donor
500 could be a lot of product depending on the manufacturer, many of whom operate out of a basement or the like.
Agreed, but in this case they contracted with Wyred4Sound in California to do the assembly. I can't imagine they would want to deal with it for less than 1,000 units per year.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
California.
Well if it is one of the cities where the DAs are ignoring crime, just go in with a crow bar until he coughs up a refund. Or threaten him with a flash mob that will come in to de-stock the store if he doesn't make you a happy customer.

NOTE:I am not seriously suggesting such a way to resolve the issue. It is a joke.

L0rdGwyn

Forum Donor
Well, the dealer I bought the 275 from was initially totally fine with me returning it, but seems to be changing his tune. I'll give him another day to provide an RMA number and after that I may need some help from the peanut gallery.

What is his justification for not taking it back?

Larry B. Larabee

Did you get anything in writing. Emails, etc.

wwasilev

I don't know if you gave a reason for the return, but some states (like MA) have implied warranty of fitness laws. The unit certainly appears defective. Contact the dealer again and let them know that w/o a RMA, you will dispute the credit card charge as the item is defective. If there's still no response, contact the CC company and they will attempt to resolve the issue. I've done this and when the CC company didn't get a reply either, I was told to keep the item and they removed the charge with a charge-back. Good luck.

atmasphere

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Agreed, but in this case they contracted with Wyred4Sound in California to do the assembly. I can't imagine they would want to deal with it for less than 1,000 units per year.
I can. I suspect they'd be quite happy with 100 units per year.

Gringoaudio1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I sent this to Bob Carver’s personal Facebook messenger account.

I’m quite a lifelong fan but you need to check out this thread on AudioScienceReview. The safety and performance of the Carver Crimson 275 is justifiably criticized in a detailed review. I cannot see you being responsible for this amplifier. The grounding scheme is dangerous and the performance stated is unattainable. The assembly is appalling. Chintzy 15 watt output transformers! Please make a statement and stop the besmirchment of your name by the present operator of the company that bears your name. https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/carver-crimson-275-review-tube-amp.29971/

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know if you gave a reason for the return, but some states (like MA) have implied warranty of fitness laws. The unit certainly appears defective. Contact the dealer again and let them know that w/o a RMA, you will dispute the credit card charge as the item is defective. If there's still no response, contact the CC company and they will attempt to resolve the issue. I've done this and when the CC company didn't get a reply either, I was told to keep the item and they removed the charge with a charge-back. Good luck.
I thought the dealer offered like a 30 day satisfaction guarantee. In other words you wouldn't need a reason.

Fiddlefye

We started with the laundry room since we needed 220 (which wasn't there), then my lab/listening room, then the kitchen. Next will be library and bedrooms.

Worst thing was that the former owners had replaced some of the outlets with three wire plugs, but the ground was left unconnected!
We're just about finished rewiring our 3+ story 1911 home (no ungrounded circuits now). Our insurance company informed us that without a rewire they would no longer insure. When I bought it had a mix of mostly two-wire knob-and-tube with some grounded circuits, but all had modern three-pin plugs. The previous owner had introduced some GFI plugs in an attempt to pretend the circuits were grounded but... We now have a 200 amp main panel, a 100 amp that handles the second and third floors and another 60 amp panel in the garage. A lot of work, but only cost about $3,000 or so in the end. One gets very devious at fishing wires after a while. This is the second old house rewire. The first was owned by an old electrician and had cloth lamp cord running to some of the outlets that were in the floor.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
We're just about finished rewiring our 3+ story 1911 home (no ungrounded circuits now). Our insurance company informed us that without a rewire they would no longer insure. When I bought it had a mix of mostly two-wire knob-and-tube with some grounded circuits, but all had modern three-pin plugs. The previous owner had introduced some GFI plugs in an attempt to pretend the circuits were grounded but... We now have a 200 amp main panel, a 100 amp that handles the second and third floors and another 60 amp panel in the garage. A lot of work, but only cost about $3,000 or so in the end. One gets very devious at fishing wires after a while. This is the second old house rewire. The first was owned by an old electrician and had cloth lamp cord running to some of the outlets that were in the floor.
I'm fortunate: my late father-in-law was an electrician as well as a math professor (he was also a cook, but that's another story). So he made sure his oldest daughter was proficient with the tools and techniques of house wiring. This allows my strategy of acting incompetent and having her impatiently shove me aside and do it properly.

I am then forced to go pour myself a beverage and watch. Hard work, but someone has to do it.

jbhiller

That's a shame Paul. I'd be happy to write a letter for you, as your counsel. [Yes, I'm a lawyer.] I'm new to this forum so I don't know if you can PM me your contact information and I'd be happy to help. You and Amir may have saved a few lives!

One of the problems is solvency. I'm probably off here, but if the company sold 3000 of these amps at the tune of $2600 each that's $7.8M in customer money that needs to be refunded (assuming all customers want a refund). While there may be a legal theory that could trigger insurance coverage, would this type of company (a) have cash to cover a settlement or judgment; (b) would it have insurance limits that high?

I would think the company should just admit it made an error of omission on the ground and offer a retrofit with shipping paid both ways.

traderitch

I sent this to Bob Carver’s personal Facebook messenger account.

I’m quite a lifelong fan but you need to check out this thread on AudioScienceReview. The safety and performance of the Carver Crimson 275 is justifiably criticized in a detailed review. I cannot see you being responsible for this amplifier. The grounding scheme is dangerous and the performance stated is unattainable. The assembly is appalling. Chintzy 15 watt output transformers! Please make a statement and stop the besmirchment of your name by the present operator of the company that bears your name. https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/carver-crimson-275-review-tube-amp.29971/

Facebook?
Everyone involved with the production of this model is fully aware of the allegations discussed on this thread.

Top Bottom