• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can you wear your IEMs while you eat?

Can you wear your IEMs while you eat?

• Yes

Votes: 15 41.7%
  • No

Votes: 21 58.3%

• Total voters

markanini

Major Contributor
Depends on the IEM. Truthear Red I can wear while doing pretty much everything, it's sits very securely and comfortably. Other sets I might get away with eating while wearing, but they will move slightly which requires repositioning to get good seal again.

MAB

Major Contributor
It's not that mine fall out, it's that I never would eat with IEM's in. I find it physically uncomfortable. Headphones slightly less uncomfortable but still unacceptable.

Also, since I am a gunslinger, I would never sit with my back to the door or eat while wearing headphones.;)

Reactions: EJ3

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Edit: By the way, can owners of ETYMOTIC iems confirm the absence of this effect?

No, it's there, somewhat similarly to other sealed passive IEMs for me. But looking at figure 1, I am far from certain that Etys are inserted in my ears as far as the M6 position.
Most ANC headphones with a feedback system are a lot more effective to solve that issue as far as I'm concerned.

otseiTiesto

No, it's there, somewhat similarly to other sealed passive IEMs for me. But looking at figure 1, I am far from certain that Etys are inserted in my ears as far as the M6 position.
It makes sense, I think the tip is 14mm long, about the same length as the 3.5mm jack, so only about 4mm longer than a normal tip.

Tips_14mm.jpg

Most ANC headphones with a feedback system are a lot more effective to solve that issue as far as I'm concerned.
Yes, I think you're right. Maybe I should try one with ANC to see how it performs in this respect.

otseiTiesto

If the Etys don't reach the M6 position, I don't want to imagine what those who do reach that area are like.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's something that never occurred to me, then again I've never had a pair of IEMs and don't like headphones much....but eating with them on isn't something I'd be likely want to do at all....I kinda remember headphones and chewing gum could be noisy.....

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I kinda remember headphones and chewing gum could be noisy.....
It is, but it's not as annoying as the sounds of other people eating if you suffer from misophobia. My son is fine eating headphoneless in a busy restaurant where the background noise masks out the sounds of others eating.

Actually, I often wear IEMs if I eat lunch in McDonalds (there's one conveniently close to my office), but that is more to block out the crappy muzak and the inane banter of the other diners. I can't say i've ever had a problem with them falling out my ears or the sound of my own mastication - In my experience, your brain learns to edit this sort of thing out of your stream of consciousness fairly quickly once you stop paying attention to it.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The entire thread is a stupid premise.

Seriously, what clown eats and listens with IEMs at the same time? Stupidity knows no bounds it seems.

threni

Major Contributor
If you see someone eating with IEMs or headphones on, they might have hyperacusis or misophobia. My son is autistic and usually eats with his noise cancelling Sony headphones on.

People with schizophrenia sometimes use headphones to help distract themselves from the voices they can hear.

Last edited:

threni

Major Contributor

Seriously, what clown eats and listens with IEMs at the same time? Stupidity knows no bounds it seems.
One can only assume you didn't actually read the entire thread...

mc.god

Me when working at my office.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It is, but it's not as annoying as the sounds of other people eating if you suffer from misophobia. My son is fine eating headphoneless in a busy restaurant where the background noise masks out the sounds of others eating.

Actually, I often wear IEMs if I eat lunch in McDonalds (there's one conveniently close to my office), but that is more to block out the crappy muzak and the inane banter of the other diners. I can't say i've ever had a problem with them falling out my ears or the sound of my own mastication - In my experience, your brain learns to edit this sort of thing out of your stream of consciousness fairly quickly once you stop paying attention to it.

Not sure how misophobia mixes in there with the ears (from the definition I looked up being the fear of dirt/contamination) in which restaurants and fast food might not be a great route to begin with :)

DJNX

I can (because they don’t fall off while eating), but I don’t.
1. What would be the point of listening to all that chewing noise?
2. With a good fit, while chewing, IEMs become like pumps in your ears, and that’s a very uncomfortable sensation.

Just give your ears a nice rest, while eating.

Top Bottom