• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can you hear -75dB?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Gedeon

Forum Donor
At my normal, and even a bit louder, music listening levels, -65db can be heard but really, really low. And -75 is virtually inaudible unless I pump up the volume to totally unsuitable/unconfortable levels.

It seems that no rational reasons to look for better than 85dbs SNR/SINAD ... (just for headroom and peace of mind), since It seems that 75db would be really good enough for me).

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I can hear the -65dB but not -75dB with volume set at a resaonable level for the -6dB signal.
I think the idea that I (or probably anybody) could hear a distortion product at this level whilst listening to music at an average of -6dB is delusional. Ridiculous even, though people do seem to expect better because it is possible.
That is why I always say I am happy with anything with a distortion level less than 0.1% (-60dB) though I do like the noise level to be lower otherwise one does notice it between tracks (though not during music)
FWIW the bass feedback on non-suspended record players can be around 8dB below the main signal and this is not obvious as feedback at all, just a bit more bass.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Incidentally, whilst the audibility range is around 120dB at some frequencies the only time you would genuinely want to need that sort of performance was if you were going to make a device to record from the quietest sound to the loudest without a volume (gain) control, and for music this would be pointless, even stupid. The only device I could imagine this being of any use for at all would be some sort of remote noise dose metering system which needed to work unattended somewhere.
To replay music CD is more than enough in reality, and even LPs which are nowhere near as accurate as CD, sound pretty good to me with a nice recording and well made disc.

Gedeon

Forum Donor
About those 120db (or more than let's say... 100dbs) in movies some could claim that wider DNR is required. I cant' fully agree. Although soundtracks can have more than 70-80db DNR it doesn't mean in your home you can "enjoy" such high DNR in a comfortable way. Maybe a short peak.

cjfrbw

"Can you hear -75dB?"

My wife can. I don't get away with anything.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
About those 120db (or more than let's say... 100dbs) in movies some could claim that wider DNR is required. I cant' fully agree. Although soundtracks can have more than 70-80db DNR it doesn't mean in your home you can "enjoy" such high DNR in a comfortable way. Maybe a short peak.
Plus the irony is that 2-channel music DACs, even at low prices, usually have more than enough performance for film sound tracks and far more than they need for music but home theatre systems almost never do...

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In RePhase you can correct your impulse down to -500dB though!

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
-65 = yes.
-75 = no.

Theriverlethe

Incidentally, whilst the audibility range is around 120dB at some frequencies the only time you would genuinely want to need that sort of performance was if you were going to make a device to record from the quietest sound to the loudest without a volume (gain) control, and for music this would be pointless, even stupid. The only device I could imagine this being of any use for at all would be some sort of remote noise dose metering system which needed to work unattended somewhere.
To replay music CD is more than enough in reality, and even LPs which are nowhere near as accurate as CD, sound pretty good to me with a nice recording and well made disc.

How would this be useful for a dosimeter? Anything below 85dB SPL is 0%.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How would this be useful for a dosimeter? Anything below 85dB SPL is 0%.
OK, in that case a recording device with a dynamic range of 120dB has no practical use whatsoever for sound recording (or playback), even though we have the technology to make one (just) :)

Top Bottom