• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

can the JBL Nano K3 speaker come close to the JBL 305p speakers?

music_lover

Hello everyone,
I am new to speakers. Sadly the JBL 305P is not available where I live, but what I do have is the JBL nano series.
I will link you to the speakers. - https://jblpro.com/zh/products/jbl-nano-k3
The reason I ask this is they do have similar tech to the 305 i.e the same patented wave guide . In addition, the nano has the class A-B amplifier for lower distortion I suppose.
The size is not same, so I think I will lose the low end extension, but apart from that, sound wise, do you think they could come close to the 305s? like high end detail and all?
also, does a wave guide increase high end detail?

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello everyone,
I am new to speakers. Sadly the JBL 305P is not available where I live, but what I do have is the JBL nano series.
I will link you to the speakers. - https://jblpro.com/zh/products/jbl-nano-k3
The reason I ask this is they do have similar tech to the 305 i.e the same patented wave guide . In addition, the nano has the class A-B amplifier for lower distortion I suppose.
The size is not same, so I think I will lose the low end extension, but apart from that, sound wise, do you think they could come close to the 305s? like high end detail and all?
also, does a wave guide increase high end detail?
These are VERY small speakers... I think the low-end is going to be pretty weak, (it says 60hz but even that is going to be with some compromises) and I would also expect a good deal more distortion in the mids. With a 3" midwoofer you're not usually in "hi-fi" territory anymore. Consider that the 305P has a 5" driver - this is 7" vs 19" of radiating area... you're at less than half with the nano. Excursion at any given frequency will need to be more than 2x to reach the same SPL- way more distortion.

The treble might be fine.

As this is JBL, I would expect them to perform well for what they are, but looking at what they are, I would not expect miracles.

"Detail" is a slippery term. What a waveguide does is change the directivity of the tweeter, usually so it matches the directivity of the mid at the crossover point, and so it has more even dispersion higher up. I don't know if this would necessarily produce more "detail" but it will help the mid-to-upper-treble range sound more even, so it could.

OP
M

music_lover

These are VERY small speakers... I think the low-end is going to be pretty weak, (it says 60hz but even that is going to be with some compromises) and I would also expect a good deal more distortion in the mids. With a 3" midwoofer you're not usually in "hi-fi" territory anymore. Consider that the 305P has a 5" driver - this is 7" vs 19" of radiating area... you're at less than half with the nano. Excursion at any given frequency will need to be more than 2x to reach the same SPL- way more distortion.

The treble might be fine.

As this is JBL, I would expect them to perform well for what they are, but looking at what they are, I would not expect miracles.

"Detail" is a slippery term. What a waveguide does is change the directivity of the tweeter, usually so it matches the directivity of the mid at the crossover point, and so it has more even dispersion higher up. I don't know if this would necessarily produce more "detail" but it will help the mid-to-upper-treble range sound more even, so it could.
Thank you for your reply! :)
Aren't the genelecs 8010A also same size?
They are considered hifi even though they are small speakers. What makes the genelecs hifi and this not?

alont

Forum Donor
The genelec 8010A have poor bass extension, so I don't think anyone would consider the using the 8010A on their own to be a "hifi" experience. Research has consistently shown that bass performance has a large impact on listener's preference score and thus, is crucial for proper sound reproduction.

OP
M

music_lover

The genelec 8010A have poor bass extension, so I don't think anyone would consider the using the 8010A on their own to be a "hifi" experience. Research has consistently shown that bass performance has a large impact on listener's preference score and thus, is crucial for proper sound reproduction.
I am actually looking for small speakers only. These jbls cost $150. Am I better off buying the jbls over the genelecs and save money?

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for your reply! :)
Aren't the genelecs 8010A also same size?
They are considered hifi even though they are small speakers. What makes the genelecs hifi and this not?
It's a fair question, I would just say "hifi" is a marketing term more than anything, so it's a matter of opinion only if something is "hifi" or not. IMO 3" midwoofers are generally going to have a hard time clearing my personal "hifi" bar, but you might not agree.

@alont's point about the 8010 and bass is a good one.

I guess if the 8010s are on the table, I would say buy both and return the one you don't like. ;)

alont

Forum Donor
I am actually looking for small speakers only. These jbls cost $150. Am I better off buying the jbls over the genelecs and save money?
Unfortunately those speakers don't have any useful measurements available online (or at least none that I could find).

Without having listened to them, nor having access to measurements, I simply can't answer that question.

Are you going to use them with a subwoofer or standalone? I'm happy to provide other recommendations.

OP
M

music_lover

It's a fair question, I would just say "hifi" is a marketing term more than anything, so it's a matter of opinion only if something is "hifi" or not. IMO 3" midwoofers are generally going to have a hard time clearing my personal "hifi" bar, but you might not agree.

@alont's point about the 8010 and bass is a good one.

I guess if the 8010s are on the table, I would say buy both and return the one you don't like. ;)
I see. I recently moved from headphones to speakers. so got no idea about what sounds hifi and what not.
Good idea. I will order both!
Unfortunately those speakers don't have any useful measurements available online (or at least none that I could find).

Without having listened to them, nor having access to measurements, I simply can't answer that question.

Are you going to use them with a subwoofer or standalone? I'm happy to provide other recommendations.
Budget is $800. I don't want anything bigger than the 8010s coz my desk is small.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I see. I recently moved from headphones to speakers. so got no idea about what sounds hifi and what not.

Budget is $800. I don't want anything bigger than the 8010s coz my desk is small.
For $800 I think you can probably go a little beyond the 8010s... have you considered using stands next to your desk?

alont

Forum Donor

I can understand the space constraints - are you willing to use the speakers along with a subwoofer though? Also, how loud are you planning to listen to content? Will it just be music or also movies?

OP
M

music_lover

For $800 I think you can probably go a little beyond the 8010s... have you considered using stands next to your desk?
I can get stands + speakers if it doesn't stretch my budget.
I can understand the space constraints - are you willing to use the speakers along with a subwoofer though? Also, how loud are you planning to listen to content? Will it just be music or also movies?
sure, a sub would be nice if it fit my budget. I am going to use them for only music.

alont

Forum Donor
My recommendation would be to go with something like the iLoud micro monitors (measurements can be found here) and a subwoofer such as the SVS SB-1000, Monoprice SW-12, Starke SW-12 etc.. I'm not sure which subwoofers are available in your region and which would still fit in your budget.

This pairing will cover most of the audible frequency range and should sound quite good as long as you integrate the subwoofer properly. If you have enough room on your desk for larger speakers which would be able to play even louder, there are more options worth considering such as JBL 305P Mark ii, Kali MM-6 and Adam T5V. There are plenty of other options also available if you are willing to go passive and use an external speaker amplifier.

Hope this helps

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
+1 to that. Also, stands can be purchased for around $50, so you can sidestep the "desk space" issue pretty easily that way. It should be possible to get some reasonable powered monitors, stands, and a sub within your $800 budget.

I think the toughest requirement here is size rather than cost, which is why I suggest going for stands.

The nano is probably decent if desk space is an absolute requirement, but I would not recommend going that small unless you absolutely have to.

alont

Forum Donor
If you can fit them on your desk, the iLoud MTM monitors are amazing.
Ooh yes, those would also be a good option as long as you are OK with having limited output and bass extension - they can go down to around 40hz which should be enough for most music aside from EDM and such.

Last edited:
OP
M

music_lover

They are here !
I know it is early, but I think I prefer the jbls so far. The iLouds are somewhat shouty. Are they emphasized silly in the upper mids? JBLs have adequate upper midrange . I like the tuning better on the jbls. Coming from headphones, both have fantastic soundstage and imaging. I am impressed. Bass is where I think both lack. especially sub bass, iLouds extends a bit lower, but I think I need a sub.

Last edited:

alont

Forum Donor
They
They are here !
I know it is early, but I think I prefer the jbls so far. The iLouds are somewhat shouty. Are they emphasized silly in the upper mids? JBLs have adequate upper midrange . I like the tuning better on the jbls. Coming from headphones, both have fantastic soundstage and imaging. I am impressed. Bass is where I think both lack. especially sub bass, iLouds extends a bit lower, but I think I need a sub.
they shouldn't be shouty at all - did you adjust the rear toggle switches to ensure they are at the correct position for your setup? Also keeping them away from the desk surface to avoid reflections would help.

Whichever speaker you end up keeping - I'm glad you found something you liked and hope you enjoy them even better once a sub is introduced.

OP
M

music_lover

They

they shouldn't be shouty at all - did you adjust the rear toggle switches to ensure they are at the correct position for your setup? Also keeping them away from the desk surface to avoid reflections would help.

Whichever speaker you end up keeping - I'm glad you found something you liked and hope you enjoy them even better once a sub is introduced.
The placement was an issue. I was sitting too close to them or maybe my brain needed adjustment to the sound. I used them for four days. I think the iLouds sound a bit warmer, smoother and more musical compared to the JBLs. I hear more detail on the JBLs though or maybe there is a peak somewhere in the upper treble that is giving me an impression of more detail? IDK. if I factor in cost, the JBLs are $150 while the iLouds are almost $400. isn't it a good idea to stick with the JBLs?

alont

Forum Donor
If you are happy with the way the JBLs sound, they fit in your space and they save you some $$$ then yeah why not

Top Bottom