• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can Someone Explain This? Gustard A18 From Apos

shwncnnlly

Forum Donor
I just received the Gustard A18 and it... It has a MQA sticker on the back and an Optical In. Please ignore the Schiit around it :)

Apos Gustard A18.pngIMG_20201009_224143019.jpgIMG_20201009_224148766.jpgIMG_20201009_224203902.jpgIMG_20201009_224213684.jpgIMG_20201009_224220063.jpgIMG_20201009_224307255.jpg

IMG_20201009_224326890.jpgIMG_20201009_224347746.jpg

Did I just get bamboozled in a good way or what just happened?

Thanks in Advance for any Info/Help with this Question,
Shawn

Hemi-Demon

Its a win for you. You got the new updated version, before they increased the price. How do you like it. $559 for a AK4499 and MQA is a GREAT deal.

hmscott

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I just received the Gustard A18 and it... It has a MQA sticker on the back and an Optical In. Please ignore the Schiit around it :)

View attachment 87010View attachment 87011View attachment 87012View attachment 87013View attachment 87014View attachment 87015View attachment 87016

View attachment 87017View attachment 87018

Shawn
That's awesome Shawn, the 2 items that kept me from waiting for the A18 and A22 - no MQA and no Optical on the A18.

I wonder if the A22 is going to finally get released with an MQA upgrade? Does anyone know?

So that's exciting that the A18 is now shipping with MQA by default(?), APOS's A18 listing says nothing about MQA or non-MQA as a choice. As MQA is a surprise feature to you perhaps you could leave a quick "review" entry letting others know the A18 orders are now shipping with MQA?

I look forward to your Gustard A18 comparison with the Schiit hardware :)

Last edited:
OP
shwncnnlly

shwncnnlly

Forum Donor
I appreciate the feedback guys :) I don't know if I want to be on the hook by saying they all will have optical out and MQA. I may have just got lucky, I am not sure if this is how they are all shipping. I know the shipping shows it came all the way from China and Apos' hq is in California(according to their site), so they may not know this is going on either. I will update the thread when I can catch their(Apos) support(they are offline now).

The shipping info for the package is in the link below showing it came from China. Where I am from is in my profile, so it isn't new info/doxing myself.
https://www.logistics.dhl/us-en/home/tracking.html?tracking-id=7464854865

I can send the updated A18 to @amirm or another reviewer if they want to do an updated review. Otherwise, my review isn't going to even come close to amirm's type of review.

I think the suggestion of asking Apos support if this update is for everyone getting the A18 and (potentially) A22 going forward or maybe it was a fluke/mistake of some sort is a great one :) I hope to update the thread sometime over the weekend.

Thanks Again and Take Care,
Shawn

OP
shwncnnlly

shwncnnlly

Forum Donor
Apos support got back to me about this.
The Gustard A18 you've received is the A18 MQA.

Gustard A18 MQA is meant to replaced the standard A18 with numerous minor upgrades as well as inclusion of the MQA capability.

Gustard isn't quite ready to officially announce the A18 MQA due to obligations unrelated to the product itself, and that's why you don't see mentions of the A18 MQA publically at this point.

It is supposed to be incrementally more expensive than the standard A18. Having said that, we thought it'd be a nice surprise to ship you the latest and greatest
WoQiq9ZigrkyD2Tu0TVXAzPwgJFCbJogBoIzkUVrLOM0xZNXnr1_LYg0Dmsu4T1daSuQCy2HEG_J2cn3ezpQJlQSrhnTNyWD1d9xQOKm2N1eiz3el6AANg=s0-d-e1-ft

Hope that answers your question, feel free to let us know if there's anything else we can help you with.

So I think it still could be hit or miss whether you get the MQA model or not. I feel a bit lucky and grateful to have gotten the upgraded one. It sounds like they will eventually have two models if I am reading that right(I might not be). It also sounds like it is a bit of a work in progress, so maybe not a good idea to review it. It sounds great to me, so I am content.

Apos has a 30 day return deal that I hear they are amazing about. While I wouldn't want to take advantage of it, you may want to try your luck @hmscott to see if you get the newer one. They didn't say anything about the A22, but it is logical that would be upgraded as well - but that is purely an assumption on my part.

I think that kind of wraps things up for my question. Hopefully I didn't spill the beans, but I kind of didn't in a sense there is zero commitment that this will happen again from support.

Take Care Everyone and Thanks Again for the Help/Feedback,
Shawn

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's awesome Shawn, the 2 items that kept me from waiting for the A18 and A22 - no MQA and no Optical on the A18.

I wonder if the A22 is going to finally get released with an MQA upgrade? Does anyone know?

So that's exciting that the A18 is now shipping with MQA by default(?), APOS's A18 listing says nothing about MQA or non-MQA as a choice. As MQA is a surprise feature to you perhaps you could leave a quick "review" entry letting others know the A18 orders are now shipping with MQA?

I look forward to your Gustard A18 comparison with the Schiit hardware :)

Why don't you ask friendly APOS directly ?
Here there is some strange clue SOLD OUT, just like the X26 :rolleyes:

1602375057580.png

VMAT4

Forum Donor
Good for the optical, however MQA has absolutely NO value added as is just another nonsense lossy format.

Only thing worse than MQA will be its successor.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 87010View attachment 87011View attachment 87012View attachment 87013View attachment 87014View attachment 87015View attachment 87016

View attachment 87017View attachment 87018

Shawn

Gustard made some efforts on their packaging ? Nice :cool:
Just wondering if their web site is operational now ? :rolleyes:
Naaa just teasing :p

hmscott

Why don't you ask friendly APOS directly ?
Here there is some strange clue SOLD OUT, just like the X26 :rolleyes:
That "Sold out" for the A22 MQA has been there for a long long time. It has been almost 8 months that I've been watching for the A22 / A26 replacement / upgrade MQA model to release. I gave up waiting for them when the Topping D90 MQA and A90 were shipping.
Apos support got back to me about this.
So I think it still could be hit or miss whether you get the MQA model or not. I feel a bit lucky and grateful to have gotten the upgraded one. It sounds like they will eventually have two models if I am reading that right(I might not be). It also sounds like it is a bit of a work in progress, so maybe not a good idea to review it. It sounds great to me, so I am content.

Apos has a 30 day return deal that I hear they are amazing about. While I wouldn't want to take advantage of it, you may want to try your luck @hmscott to see if you get the newer one. They didn't say anything about the A22, but it is logical that would be upgraded as well - but that is purely an assumption on my part.

I think that kind of wraps things up for my question. Hopefully I didn't spill the beans, but I kind of didn't in a sense there is zero commitment that this will happen again from support.

Take Care Everyone and Thanks Again for the Help/Feedback,
Shawn
Nice work, thanks for following through and checking with APOS, it looks like Gustard is in progress updating their hardware and are not ready to announce, so I'll be patient and keeping waiting for their next release announcements.

I'm very happy with my Topping D90 MQA and A90 after getting the shielded cabling worked out, so for now I don't think I'll be upgrading for a while.

I hope you enjoy your A18 with updates + MQA + optical :)

Last edited:

Ntrax

Audio Company
It is mqa default for A18. Basically you can get them from Taobao. Is Gustard official store. It's been sometime. Ordered mine but takes another 2 weeks to arrive. Tested the non mqa...no brainer for arounf 400usd. With mqa add another 25bucks.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is mqa default for A18. Basically you can get them from Taobao. Is Gustard official store. It's been sometime. Ordered mine but takes another 2 weeks to arrive. Tested the non mqa...no brainer for arounf 400usd. With mqa add another 25bucks.

Is it possible to shop on Taobao in the US without knowing Chinese?

makatech

Good for the optical, however MQA has absolutely NO value added as is just another nonsense lossy format.

Another "truth" teller, cool. I thought MQA files become lossless after the unfolding process though?

It's incredibly annoying reading these kind of comments almost every single day. I assume it's something seriously wrong with my ears but for me MQA (Tidal) rendered through my DAC is sounding great and it's all I care about.

Will be interesting following the future for MQA though, I have no idea about that. Seems like most audiophiles hating MQA. ;-) No surprise people downloading tens of thousands of FLAC files (sometimes from "strange" sites not paying for them) not caring about MQA and streaming though.

Last edited:

makatech

Hmmm, Gustard A18 is good value comparing to D90 (same DAC chip). Not forgetting about SMSL SU-9, SU-8, M400. Strong competitions between these products right now. Slightly confusing though I would say (for me).

Ntrax

Audio Company
Hmmm, Gustard A18 is good value comparing to D90 (same DAC chip). Not forgetting about SMSL SU-9, SU-8, M400. Strong competitions between these products right now. Slightly confusing though I would say (for me).
These chip are getting cheaper I think. Seems many DACs with flagship chip is getting really affordable. Bad for them good for us. They shouldn't sound so dif. But the 4499 implementation on A18 is the best currently. Same bass and the mids sound identical on 4V then the treble extends real nice too. As soon it goes 6V the bass starts to shine on A18 comparing to D90. Too obvious I must say.. .the slam and control. Mids are weightier and treble are more airy. Maybe ..just maybe the volume difs. But the dif too obvious. Soundstage and transparency are better too. I think Gustard is slowly picking up. The price is ridiculously cheaper than those with the same features. Not mention the SU9 coming in knocking its own M500 out with almost the same price.

makatech

Maybe it's just me but I'm so incredibly tired of this debate. ;-) Many people downloading/sharing thousands of FLAC files from strange sites without paying for them and then start complaining on MQA/Tidal, really? Don't forget there may be glitches in how the ripping and FLAC building process is done too (many ripping on their own and spreading them all of the net on torrents, from LPs too).

From a really simple view (not the whole truth) MQA is like a zip file, you compress and you unzip/unfold. (waiting for massive reaction)

It's a bit complicated though because some MQA files/albums may use different (better?) masters and therefore sound better (or slightly different) than other masters of the same recordings.

I assume it's something seriously wrong with my ears but I have yet to find MQA files sounding worse than FLAC. I'm sure there exist MQA tracks/albums with glitches though.

I am not saying FLAC is bad, of course not, it's lossless (most of them sounding amazing) but the high quality streaming services emerging now are incredibly convenient.

Last edited:
Top Bottom