• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Intermittent audio crackling/popping with HDMI Arc?

xSDMx

Is anyone else experiencing intermittent audio pops or crackles when using HDMI ARC?

I have an LG C9 running FW 5.25.35, an Nvidia Shield Pro (2019) connected to HDMI 4, and an Arylic B50 DAC/amp connected to HDMI 2 set as stereo PCM ARC. All cables are 18gbps high speed HDMI cables that should work fine for this application.

Intermittently I get a few snaps, cracks, or pops when playing any video or music source (video streaming from local storage, music playing via YTM app, or even when Chromecasting from my phone).

The issue does not occur if I use my DAC/amp over direct USB audio to the Nvidia Shield bypassing my TV or if I stream to the DAC/amp via BT directly and bypass both, so I suspect it's the TV handling of ARC.

Does anyone have any suggestions? This is driving me crazy trying to debug and I'd love to have full HDMI CEC working. Thanks so much!

OP
X

xSDMx

Update: I tried using ultra premium certified HDMI 2.1 cables and there was no improvement. I then tried using the Arylic B50 as a USB DAC/amp to my Nvidia Shield and that works perfectly fine without any crackling. Out of curiosity, I then bought the NAD D 3045 and it works just fine with HDMI ARC without any crackling. So, the issue is clearly with the Arylic B50. Bummer, but at least the HDMI ARC on my TV isn't borked!

jaakkopetteri

For what it's worth, I also have a ton of pops with my B9 and Canton Smart Connect. I assumed it was always the Canton, but your post made me google things and I feel like it might actually be both (or CEC in general). Some devices might just not be ideal for each other :D

Top Bottom