• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cambridge Audio Solo Phono Preamplifier Review

guenthi_r

One of the pics in your links is the older 640-something, I think. The Solo and Duo look very similar.

Variations in RIAA conformity can boil down to tolerance specified for the caps/resistors used for EQ. When I modded my phono stage, I ordered parts at 1% tolerance, but the same components are available at 2%, 5%, and 10%, at lower costs.

So it isn't necessary for the circuit to vary, the tolerance on the components can vary and alter the performance enough to show in measurements.
The pictures are the right. Maybe you should take a look into before posting.

cgallery

The pictures are the right. Maybe you should take a look into before posting.

They have pictures of the older 640 in one of those threads.

Regardless, the board layouts (auto-routers at work) are different but the MM stages appear to be about the same. Again, probably parts tolerances at play.

A 1% capacitor may cost 3-4x that of a 5% counterpart.

dutchman

Hello!
I bought the Alva Solo and have a problem with hum. Never had that problem with other pre amps. Can anybody help?

Allar88

I am not sure if this is fitting here, but in my setup, rega planar 3 -to- cambridge audio solo -to- dsp, i had a terrible hum and ground signal noise. After changing the cables, checking all ground loops, i decided to kill the ground on my solo, this was the only way how to get rid of the distortion caused by it. Maybe it will help other to get on track faster.

dutchman

I am not sure if this is fitting here, but in my setup, rega planar 3 -to- cambridge audio solo -to- dsp, i had a terrible hum and ground signal noise. After changing the cables, checking all ground loops, i decided to kill the ground on my solo, this was the only way how to get rid of the distortion caused by it. Maybe it will help other to get on track faster.
Yes, I had the same problem. But when I connect the ground cable of the turntable to the housing of the Amp, everything works finde. What does it mean, that you "killed the ground if the solo"?

zonk

I like the Phono Box. I should send it to Amir to measure.

Martin

Are you still planning to send your Pro-ject Phono Box RS to Amir to measure? I would be interested into the measurement as well.

milw50717

FWIW From the factory Rega internally wired the ground to the left output RCA and much has been written about the "Rega hum". I have a Planar 2 that I rewired with a kit that has a separate ground wire that I use with the Solo and I have not experienced any hum or ground noise. The ground terminal on the Solo is connected to the ground on the power socket and not the RCAs. Thus a Rega with the original wiring configuration will have the TT ground passed through the Solo RCAs to the amp, but not so in my case.

Mr Vinyl

Hello!
I bought the Alva Solo and have a problem with hum. Never had that problem with other pre amps. Can anybody help?
No hum on mine. Many things can cause that - turntable proximity to the power amp, power lines, etc. Is your setup 100% identical to what it was previously?

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No hum on mine. Many things can cause that - turntable proximity to the power amp, power lines, etc. Is your setup 100% identical to what it was previously?
Using a ground wire?

dutchman

Yes, the setup is the same as before. The solution was not to use the earth connection on the solo but to make the earth connection via the stereo amplifier.

Top Bottom