• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cambridge Audio Evo 75/150 questions

dimezis

I'm considering buying Evo 75, but hesitating because of a lack of information.
1) Can it automatically switch from HDMI source to, for example Spotify, and back when the signal from the corresponding source is detected? (Similar to how BluOs devices work). Or will I need to switch sources manually?
2) Is there any delay/latency when using analog inputs? For example, BluOs devices have at least 50ms latency due to their grouping feature, even when the grouping is not actually used.
3) Are there any lip sync issues when playing through HDMI ARC?

Thanks

OP
D

dimezis

Oh, and it is possible to completely disable that damn huge screen? :)
The user manual is a bit vague on this

Loooop

I'm considering buying Evo 75, but hesitating because of a lack of information.
1) Can it automatically switch from HDMI source to, for example Spotify, and back when the signal from the corresponding source is detected? (Similar to how BluOs devices work). Or will I need to switch sources manually?
2) Is there any delay/latency when using analog inputs? For example, BluOs devices have at least 50ms latency due to their grouping feature, even when the grouping is not actually used.
3) Are there any lip sync issues when playing through HDMI ARC?

Thanks
1) I haven't tried that, but my Evo 150 automatically switch to on and to off in sync with my LG tv
2) I don't know
3) No
4) There are 3 screen options: light/dark/off

OP
D

dimezis

@Loooop thanks for your answer!
One more thing, can you control the volume with TV remote when connected through HDMI Arc?

Bazain

In my case (and i know there are more cases) HDMI arc doesn't work at all. Mostly it can connect to my tv only for a short while, sometimes i can't connect to my tv at all.
It seems to be a known problem and they are trying to fix it but so far there isn't a working solution

TSX

I’ve had three units of the EVO 150. All of them having defect screens (turning off randomly, having to reset the unit), music startet/stopped playing music randomly. All had latest firmware. Luckily I got my money back. Never again CA. There’s a real world review on the CXN v2 on YouTube. Same software and lots of problems.

Just my two cents.

Bazain

I can confirm the problems with randomly stopping to play.

Will try to get my money back too

OP
D

dimezis

So I actually ended up getting a used Evo 75 for a very good price.
Very happy so far, and answering my own questions:
1) Yes, it does automatically switch to/from streaming/hdmi, so far no problems with that. The only minor caveat is that if you were on HDMI and then started Spotify streaming while the TV was still on, and then want to come back to HDMI, you'd either need to do that manually or turn the TV off and on. I have LG C9.
2) There's absolutely no latency if Tone Control is disabled. If it is enabled though, there's an additional A -> D conversion to apply DSP, and there's a minor latency. It's pretty sad though that they do EQ through DSP, but provide only very crude bass and treble controls.
3) No lip-sync issues

And I don't have any issues with music randomly stopping playing. If you're using HDMI also, I'd guess that maybe your TV sends SEC signal which makes Evo switch sources?

Last edited:

Loooop

Sorry for those who have had issues, but my Evo 150 has been running flawlessly for over 15 months.
Particularly with both Tidal and my LG oled tv via hdmi arc.
The only issue, some rare "gray screen", was definitively solved with a software update about 6 months ago.

I'm really glad I was able to throw away my old Naim Superuniti which has been a constant source of issues of all kinds.

Top Bottom