• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100 Review

xevman

I bought one of these near release and remember posting about it on headfi and everyone seemed to criticise it in comarison to the Schiit products avaliable at the time. Good to see it ended up being better....

Perfect_pint

I own one of these. Brought it used in 2014 in the UK. As it was small I took it with me when I moved to Canada in 2017 and not used it since as it's got a British plug power supply and got into home theatre AVR's with DAC's built-in. I remember it being a vast improvement from using computer output. One thing I didn't like about it is that to get USB 2.0 with 24bit 192, you have to install very dated software on windows and the indication never really worked. Going to get a Topping E30 and might do a comparison. I like that the E30 has a pre-amp built-in with the remote so I can connect it directly to a power amp.

BenF

Forum Donor
The DacMagic 100 really can't compete with any recent Topping products. It's completely another league...
but if you're having fun comparing them then by all means do it and share your thoughts! :)

Last edited:

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
I wonder, with my bad luck and distortion way above specs at 44.1 and 96K for the SMSL and TOPING I got, if a better choice for me is an older design. Newer than my antique Muse, but not a 32/790K wonder box. I have asked Topping about this ( no answer yet, but I'll give them some time before I return it) Cambridge and Schiit. This seems overpriced relative, but not stupid. Kind of like all their products.

I am assuming, without the driver it is also relegated to USB audio profile 1, synchronous mode.

Kegemusha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The DacMagic 100 really can't compete with any recent Topping products. It's completely another league...
but if you're having fun comparing them then by all means do it and share your thoughts! :)
Maybe not, it is from around 2012 after all, but in my desktop with USB2 driver and foobar w bitperfect enable sounds great to me.
I have it connected to an emotiva class AB and no complains, I bought it for 70€ 2nd hand and I am a happy camper.

Windofrce

1603492050752.png

Is this audible?

Califmike33

I think all you guys put wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to much on measuments and charts and grafts. Somethings dont measure well but sound awesome, my 2 cents.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think all you guys put wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to much on measuments and charts and grafts. Somethings dont measure well but sound awesome, my 2 cents.
The measurements indicate what the better DACs are and the ones with poor design. The more information one has the better for the buying decision that can be made. That goes for anything measured here at ASR. It sure beats What HiFI that rates everything good with vague gooblygook terminology and then people use that gooblygook to make a purchase. :D

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Another non-believer. If you want to believe that your trash measuring gear "sounds awesome" That is your own right. However it doesn't make it FACT as Audio is actually SCIENCE and not "feelings".

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is a way to deal with the dissenion on this thread. It is called a listening test.

FWIW, I have an older Cambridge DAC - I keep meaning to swap everything over to my Oppo-205, but besides being lazy, the Oppo is so unreliable in operation that I don't trust it.

Heat11

i bought this for use with my Windows 10pc.

my set up is pretty humble. Klipsch R-41pm, Klipsch 100SW, DacMagic100 and the vibration adsorbent speaker stands which helped more to get the speakers at ear level than anything. I suppose the sub being off the floor a bit does help.

i really like the set up. all in it was under $1k. ($300, $300, $200, $100) and there is no need for a remote because its a computer desk setup.

just be sure of a few things, my memory is a bit weak but you need to:

1. ensure that you have a DAC that is flashed up to the latest firmware so that it can run USB 2. not so important if you buy it recently but like others have said some of these could be on a shelf for a decade now
  2. set it to be in USB 2 by holding the buttons when it turns on. rtfm
  3. install the latest CA drivers. its a bit confusing at their website because they have legacy stuff for windows 7. you shouldnt have too much trouble
  4. point your computer sound settings to use the CA USB out /// sound settings > choose your output device > CA audio
  5. change your computer sound settings to match the highest output level it can handle (24 bit 192), you can go higher than this on most motherboards but I don't really see a point. maybe someone with more technical understanding can comment /// sound settings > sound control panel > CA audio > properties > advanced > default format > pick 24/192
  6. last but not least I use the AmazonMusicHD desktop app and musicbee. make sure these are in exclusive mode when you listen in these apps. its a bit annoying but worth it. someone told me its the only way to really get the best out of the FLAC's but again i could be wrong.

shit is super enjoyable. Massive Attack - Dissolved Girl sounds like she is in the room with you.

if I had it over to do right now I probably would go DacMagic 200M and JBL MKii 30XP with XLR balanced inputs save some money punt the sub.

Last edited:

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't noticed this review. :) I bought this one locally at discount for the living room system, because in my personal system I use the mx-dac, which of course I regarded as better by far. It turn out to be the opposite... :facepalm: and here I am, tasting my own medicine.... cheers!

Migel83

Hello,

I have the Cambridge Audio Dacmagic100 and the Little dot Dac 1.
When I compare the two, the Little Dot is the better Dac in that respect.
It has the disadvantage that it can only output 16/44 via USB, but 24/192 on the inputs.
In terms of music reproduction, even with 16/44, the Little dot is great.
Even if it costs a little more, it is worth it and is the better alternative.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,

I have the Cambridge Audio Dacmagic100 and the Little dot Dac 1.
When I compare the two, the Little Dot is the better Dac in that respect.
It has the disadvantage that it can only output 16/44 via USB, but 24/192 on the inputs.
In terms of music reproduction, even with 16/44, the Little dot is great.
Even if it costs a little more, it is worth it and is the better alternative.
I can't find any audio performance specs of this one... are they published somewhere?

Migel83

Unfortunately, there are no measurements, only two reports.
The small one went down a bit when it came out.
And it proved to be quite competitive with the Mytek Brooklyn.
Unfortunately, I don't have any more information.
But as an owner I can only say that it sounded great at the time, and even today with the new Dac it doesn't need to hide.
The implementation is quite good.

I use it as a Dac with the Ipad, where only 16/44 is possible anyway, and it works its magic quite well.
In part, it's better than one or two other Dacs I've heard that are supposed to be better from a technical point of view.

Definitely one of the best Wolfson implementations.
The extra price is worth it if you can still get your hands on one.
Actually Shenzenaudio sell it.

Waxx

Major Contributor
I'm a bit late to the party, but it's 6 years or so in my audio rack and i can tell it's a great dac for it's price, and i never had problems with it. Measurement confirm that i see. And even if the design is 10 years old, it still don't fall trough compared to modern DAC's, which shows it's quality.

But a Toppings is still on my buy list for this year altough and the Dacmagic will move from my main setup to my office setup to replace the old Steinberg UR22 (MK1) that is really not up to par anymore.

flz

Another non-believer. If you want to believe that your trash measuring gear "sounds awesome" That is your own right. However it doesn't make it FACT as Audio is actually SCIENCE and not "feelings".
The purpose of listening to music is to create certain emotions & "feelings" within us. At least that's why I listen to music. As the saying goes, some folks buy equipment to listen to their music while others buy music to listen to their equipment. Of course, equipment that measures better should in theory do a better job of bringing out those feelings.

Top Bottom