• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

cambridge audio axr100d with 4 ohm speakers

sacalul

Hi, it is safe to use 2 Triangle 4 ohm speakers on a cambridge audio axr100d without resistors? let say with the volume at 50 percent ...

Thanks

Attachments

• zays.jpeg
    zays.jpeg
    203.5 KB · Views: 136
OP
sacalul

sacalul

Yes, receiver is rated for use with 4-8 ohm speakers.
Thank you for your answer but what scared me was the comment on the support site ....

" Can I use 4 or 6 Ohm speakers with the AXR85/100/100D?
The AXR is only rated to be used with 8 Ohm speakers and we would not recommend using it with 4 or 6 Ohm speakers.
Using the AXR with 4 or 6 Ohm speakers could result in the amplifier overheating, which in the long run could damage the unit. "

https://techsupport.cambridgeaudio....-4-or-6-Ohm-speakers-with-the-AXR85-100-100D-

Vladimir Filevski

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well, somebody at Cambridge Audio is lying. On the receiver back, above loudspeaker terminals it is saying "Impedance 4-8 ohms":
AXR100D.png

Whatewer, if you are not pushing it too hard, it will be fine with 4 ohm speakers. "Volume at 50%" does not mean anything, just be carefull. Quickly you will learn where is the maximum allowable volume position.

OP
sacalul

sacalul

Thanks ... and regarding "maximum allowable volume position" will be very low .... if i don't want to sleep in the garage ... that are the orders from my wife .... :facepalm::)

posvibes

I have one pair of very old ELAC speakers that are 4 ohm but have a sticker on them says that they are suitable for use (geeignet) with 4-8ohm amplifiers. But I have used them with with every amp I have ever owned including the Cambridge 651a without a problem. I do play at moderate levels and occasionally then some, and never heard, felt or saw a problem.

I have never been able to clarify as to why the ELAC speaker is designed that way, why aren't all speakers designed that way?

Vladimir Filevski

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Actually, that ELAC is an ordinary 4-ohm speaker, but some amplifiers have problems with low impedance load. At moderate levels there should not be any problem.

JSmith

Master Contributor
" Can I use 4 or 6 Ohm speakers with the AXR85/100/100D?
The AXR is only rated to be used with 8 Ohm speakers and we would not recommend using it with 4 or 6 Ohm speakers.
Using the AXR with 4 or 6 Ohm speakers could result in the amplifier overheating, which in the long run could damage the unit. "
That is rather concerning for prospective buyers.

There was also this comment made in a "review";
It would also be nice in the future if they rate the power output into something like 4 ohms.
There is also this in the manual itself;
Can I use 4 or 6 Ohm speakers with the AXR100D?
The AXR100D is only rated to be used with 8 Ohm speakers and we would not recommend using it with 4 or 6 Ohm speakers.
Using the AXR100D with 4 or 6 Ohm speakers could result in the amplifier overheating, which in the long run could damage the unit.
Power output:
100 watts (into 8Ω)
It's not very good the amp itself refers to 4 ohm when the manual says all this and their power output is only rated at 8 ohm.

JSmith

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Since I was curious, I checked the manual's specs for power and all they show is this:

100 watts (into 8Ω)

THD (unweighted):
<0.01% @ 1kHz, 80% of rated power
<0.15% 20Hz - 20kHz, 80% of rated power

So more an 80wpc spec (hopefully 2ch driven)

Still, likely would work just fine for the OP's use.

OP
sacalul

sacalul

Thanks everyone for help ... but now i have another dilemma .... i found a Denon AVR-X3600H 1 year old ... was used just a couple off times .... comes with everything including the recipe and he wants 500£ for it .... i paid 375£ for my AXR100D new ... is it worth changing them? Considering sound quality, more power, Quality.... etc

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
i found a Denon AVR-X3600H 1 year old ... was used just a couple off times .... comes with everything including the recipe and he wants 500£ for it
Definitely worth a look...
Notice how much lower noise and distortion are compared to the NAD. The amp is not "rated" for 4 ohm by the way due to legalize (keeping the amp from getting too hot during safety testing). But works absolutely fine. To wit, you can push it even harder if you allow higher distortion level or allow burst of power:
Denon AVR-X3600H AVR X3600 Home Theater Dolby Atmos Amplifier Max and Peak Output into 4 Ohm  ...png

JSmith

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks everyone for help ... but now i have another dilemma .... i found a Denon AVR-X3600H 1 year old ... was used just a couple off times .... comes with everything including the recipe and he wants 500£ for it .... i paid 375£ for my AXR100D new ... is it worth changing them? Considering sound quality, more power, Quality.... etc

For a simple 2ch system it may be overkill, but gives you a lot of options for expansion your Cambridge doesn't....and a bit more power, too.

OP
sacalul

sacalul

For a simple 2ch system it may be overkill, but gives you a lot of options for expansion your Cambridge doesn't....and a bit more power, too.
Actually i have another 2 Triangle Borea BR02 in my garage and a subwoofer ... i can usem them as well ... i think :)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually i have another 2 Triangle Borea BR02 in my garage and a subwoofer ... i can usem them as well ... i think :)
Yes, it would handle those quite well, particularly the integration with the sub....

Top Bottom