• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Calculating Stylus Effective Tip Mass from Measured resonant frequency

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Hi Folks,

some years back, I worked through the relationship between "effective tip mass" (ETM) a specification provided for many classic cartridges, and a key driver of the stylus tracking ability (low mass = low inertia = great ability to follow the groove "wiggles") - and the cantilever resonant frequency (ResF)

The original thread from 2012 is here

But the key thing is - this is the formula for the relationship between ETM and Resonant Frequency

Resonant Frequency can be measured with a decent test record - the difficult thing is getting a test record that has signals out to the frequencies required for some of the better styli (lower tip masses)

ETM =((1/(ResF*2*3.14159)^2)/[1.16 x 10^(-10)])

This can facilitate people comparing the best of yesteryear, to today's cartridge/styli.... if you can measure the ResF, you can calculate your tip mass

on a wide band F/R measurement, an MC's resonant frequency is pretty obvious.

And yeah effectively the ETM is a restating of the cantilever resonant frequency... (!)

An MM on the other hand, you need to calculate the impact of the loading circuit, and deduct it from the F/R to determine the "raw" response - which will expose the resonant frequency. (I may have to share my spreadsheet which does just that...)

Top Bottom