• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Build of gr-research X-LS Encore

Ashley Salmond

Forum Donor
I bought the av3kit ,a discontinued model. I used 25mm MDF and changed the tweeter t a seas90. I was stunned as to the performance of the GR Research speaker. The simplicity of the cross over and how well the drivers work. It's a very low cost way of achieving a high quality audio. If you included a hypex amplifier you are at the top end of audio for just over $2000US. I guess that is the beauty of Audioscience Review, as this site gives you the knowledge too indulge without blowing your hard earned earned money on high end products that don't perform to match the cost.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
While not disagreeing with your sentiment overall, would NOT consider the X-LS Encore to be close to top end audio.

For comparable investment, Philharmonitor BMRs would get you close though.

Ashley Salmond

Forum Donor
Rick, I wouldn't disagree with that as the BMR specs are excellent except as Irwin said on his site, the dispersion was wide and this would lead to an increase room Reverberation. The XLS Encore scored better going by GR,s specs, lthough the Encore,s frequency was not as good as the BMR but there was not much of a margin either and would it be audible. You could build a top end Encore for say with tools and I would recommend a thicker MDF for $1500 verses &$3700 for the BMR. You could take that saving and buy yourself a hypex amp and a SMSL DAC and there you have a high end system based on specs . Or better still invest in room acoustics treatment as the best speakers are vulnerable to room as once those sound waves leaves the speaker, the room owns it . I found building my own speaker kit a type of audiophile Sabbatical and was stunned when comparing the AV3 to my Arendal 1723 S thx speakers. I can recommend going by specs ,all four speakers it's just that you can get to the high end of audio at low cost if make an informed choice based on specs .

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Rick, I wouldn't disagree with that as the BMR specs are excellent except as Irwin said on his site, the dispersion was wide and this would lead to an increase room Reverberation.

Not sure who Irwin is but dispersion is not a problem for me and the BMR has better vertical directivity. As far as I am concerned, this is not a contest. The BMR components and design far outclass the Encore. If you look at recent Arizona Audio club shoot out, the judges concur (38 votes to 5).

The XLS Encore scored better going by GR,s specs, lthough the Encore,s frequency was not as good as the BMR but there was not much of a margin either and would it be audible. You could build a top end Encore for say with tools and I would recommend a thicker MDF for $1500 verses &$3700 for the BMR.

Not sure about pricing in Australia, but in US, you can get a BMR kit for around $1200 with cabinets and the comparable Encore kit is $1000. While you might (marginally) argue about cabinet materials, the BMR’s drivers are all newer and much higher quality.

Last edited:
Top Bottom