• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Budget Amp for streaming in a small restaurant

Morpheus

Forum Donor
Hi, I am looking for a budget amp for a friend who is opening a very small restaurant like 25 to 30 sqmt. The speakers are a pair of Electrovoice Evid 3.2, and he might get another pair for the esplanade when the good weather comes, so there is that.Second hand is ok too. He will be streaming/using Spotify mostly, and needs bluetooth capability, a line in, and preferably Usb in , but computer and amp will probably be phisically somewaht distant. The amp does not have to have all this in itself, these capabilities can be spread on other devices ( preferably not), as long as the budget is under 150E, preferably less. Something reliable is a must, and not a class A radiator of course..Thanks for reading and helping out.

Spyerx

I know this is way outside your budget but the Sonos Amp is perfect for this, i have 3 of them for our whole-house audio. Dead simple, reliable, and efficient to run. It’s 4 ohm stable and will run 2 pair of speakers easily.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think you are really looking for a "receiver" with streaming, BT, WiFi and USB capabilities but without any video/HDMI needs.
Based on those speakers (Evid 3.2s) you won't need anything more than about 100W per channel from this TBD receiver's amplifier section.
However, because you are thinking the possibility of additional pair of speaker hook-ups; you may also need either a "dual-zone" receiver that either gives you 4 amplifier channels or a separate power amps plus a pre-amp.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For ~150E I would also suggest a Fosi V3 + WiiM mini or Pro. Gets you everything except USB input, close to your budget. Check eBay as the manufacturers sell there at somewhat lower prices, refurbs, etc.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Depending where you are located, I suppose, but...
Thank you, @RayDunzl,
@Morpheus' friend qualifies to get 'free' music piping in his place. cool!
You are exempt from paying these fees if your restaurant is smaller than 350 gross square metres (this refers to all interior and exterior spaces used to serve customers in some way, except for parking areas) and you only play music transmitted via radio, television, cable, or satellite sources
These are murky waters! I still don't understand how royalties are calculated for these "exceptions".:eek:
Our cableTV provider has about 50 channels of continuous music (no ads/djs) and SiriusXM also provides 150+ no ad-supported music but how do artists get paid for such 'free' but continuous content?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

JayGilb

Major Contributor
That's appropriate to the use, but are budget amps are available?
A lot of fixed installation 70v amps can be found at a decent price. They are usually of much better build quality than newer budget amps and probably still have a decade or more of life left in them.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
...Second hand is ok too...
Out of my own ingorance, I must ask this question that I feel is not OT:
What are the most frequented websites which sell (and/or auction off) used but professional/industrial audio recording/playback gear?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What are the most frequented websites which sell (and/or auction off) used but professional/industrial audio recording/playback gear?
eBay has quite a bit, of all sorts of scientific and industrial gear. My experience buying that kind of thing has been uniformly excellent.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
eBay has quite a bit,
eBay is full of ... ummm... scammers.
A bit more legit site; similar [maybe] to ... ummm... say... https://www.hifishark.com/ or https://www.usaudiomart.com/, etc.

OT: Decades ago, I won an eBay bid for a 10MB SCSI HDD for $150 and I could not wait to receive it in the mail... only to discover that what arrived as a 10MB drive was the size of a toaster.
My bad!:facepalm:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A bit more legit site; similar [maybe] to ... ummm... say... https://www.hifishark.com/ or https://www.usaudiomart.com/, etc.

OT: Decades ago, I won an eBay bid for a 10MB SCSI HDD for $150 and I could not wait to receive it in the mail... only to discover that what arrived as a 10MB drive was the size of a toaster.
The consumer stuff is so iffy I wouldn't bother. The scientific and industrial is mainly companies that liquidate after bankruptcies etc. They have a reputation and don't want trouble.

MAB

Major Contributor
eBay is still good for items that don't have cult-status.
Niles for instance:
Can drive incredibly wide range of loads, can be bridged. I used a 12-channel to power active speakers for years.
I sold these back in the '80s, one of the few amps in our store that could credibly drive a pair of Infinity Kappas.
These are a great option for a cafe if not using 70V system.

It wouldn't occur to me to buy computer gear like that on eBay. I've had overwhelming good luck, but I am pretty narrow in what I look for on eBay. There exists a steady supply of Niles amps, many appear to be hauled out of homes with old wired multi-room systems, some sold by resellers, some sold by owners... It's a garage sale. My success rate is worse on Amazon I think...

Midwest Blade

Best to seek out a professional audio video company in your area, they may have new or used equipment available and would be beneficial in case of any service needs in the future. I would not go to eBay, big buyer beware when it comes to used professional equipment.

Strongly suggest to get what you need from a reputable source.

Top Bottom