• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Budget amp for dbr62 with remote control

Arianoxx

Hi, my new Elac dbr62 has just arrived. First thing first, wow I really like these speakers, I'm using an old technics ca-1080 (60w at 6ohm) as amp and for my "newbie hear" it sounds great at normal volume. The only issue is that this amp has some problem with the preamp section (and I cannot change it because it uses a proprietary cable to link the amp with the preamp), the volume knob register correctly the input but for unknown reason it doesn't change the output of the amp (when it reaches the -18db it starts working like a fixed power amp and I need to control the output by changing the volume of the source). I'm looking for a budget replacement (at least for now), the things that I'm actually looking for is a great sound/power (if it's possible an improvement over the Technics would be appreciated), a remote control and some loudness eq. I've found the Aiyima t9 pro (but it doesn't seem to come with any loudness settings), the Smsl a300 (that seems pretty good for €200) and the Yamaha as301 (it's more expensive and bigger). Does anybody know any other amp that come with a remote and has loudness settings? Which one do you think is the best choice in this case? Thanks!

diablo

Forum Donor
I don't think you can go too far wrong with the SMSL A300.

I've tried plenty of amps over the years and it is one of my favourites. I don't use the tone controls very often but they can be useful at times - don't seem to damage the sound at all. The subwoofer output is handy for if you get a sub. I have used it and it works well.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Important to note though that tone controls ≠ loudness EQ.
You can change bass/treble on the A300, but it's a static adjustment and won't change with volume.

@Arianoxx If you want Equal Loudness EQ where bass increases as you turn down the volume, then I think you'd have to look at traditional, big integrated amps from Denon, Yamaha, Sony etc.

Last edited:

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
the dbr62 is a fine speaker and it deserves a better amp than the A300

be that as it may, I would not spend less than the A300

my A300 and the matching C100 is one of the best combos i've ever had... and $300 in total

this three piece combo would be a fine starting point... i would hazard that even if you spend $500 on an Sabaj A30 or even a bit more for a Yamaha 701 it may not be night and day on these three

the A300 has deficiencies in the way it operates but you can work around them

Chrise36

Major Contributor
the dbr62 is a fine speaker and it deserves a better amp than the A300

be that as it may, I would not spend less than the A300

my A300 and the matching C100 is one of the best combos i've ever had... and $300 in total

this three piece combo would be a fine starting point... i would hazard that even if you spend $500 on an Sabaj A30 or even a bit more for a Yamaha 701 it may not be night and day on these three

the A300 has deficiencies in the way it operates but you can work around them

fragzone

Wondering the same thing. I plan to pair the amp with one of those relatively cheap network streamer things (wiimu or something?)

saberger0357

I don't think you can go too far wrong with the SMSL A300.

I've tried plenty of amps over the years and it is one of my favourites. I don't use the tone controls very often but they can be useful at times - don't seem to damage the sound at all. The subwoofer output is handy for if you get a sub. I have used it and it works well.
Ditto. Only have had mine for a day and am blown away by how good it is. And I have thousands of dollars in vintage McIntosh gear to compare it with. I like it so much that ordered a second one. You really can't go wrong with this amp, especially at it's price.

Top Bottom