• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buchardt A500 Diy

Zvu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Buchardt website states that there are 3x150W amplifier channels per speaker. The closest to that would be System audio legend 5. Since there are just two channels in model 5, you could do passive crossover between midwoofer (frontal transducer) and tweeter, and use the other channel for backfiring woofer. That could actually work well since the design uses waveguide brings the acoustic centers of the front baffle transducers much closer at Z axis.

D!sco

Wouldn't a plug and play 3-way DSP plate amp like the FA123 accomplish the same goals as the buchardt monitors?

This is a very relatable set of design goals. If I understand right, the packaging and depth is the appeal of the A500 series. You want it to be simple and high quality, yes? Making it work like that is going to be very, very difficult, but there are some important principals on the table here I think I can help with.
View attachment 118519
This is the most interesting thing I've seen on the A500s yet. They appear to be a 3-way, dual sealed chamber design. The size of the chamber and its resonance help boost the lower frequency signals. They could be the same driver with different crossover/EQ settings or a dedicated midwoofer and bass module. Either way, the chamber measurements are critical to performance and so is the driver sensitivity. In an opposing chamber like this, you could have a more stable than normal speaker or one with a lot of canceling action. KEF has some examples of subs like that. WinISD is your friend for deciding on the box size and preventing Xmax distortion, but there will be a lot of compromise when using available, off the shelf components to reach this shape. You may go through a number of simulated designs before finding the perfect, symmetrical design.

EQ and crossover work can take weeks or months, especially by ear. Making an established design active would definitely be a good way to go. The passive crossovers can be written into the DSP as filters, and tweaked from there. There are whole designs that can be completed for the price of a pair of those Satori tweeters.

The Loudspeaker cookbook is a godsend and no one could possibly describe in-depth on this forum the kind of information a professionally written book can convey, even to an ordinary layman like myself.

Top Bottom