• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bruno Strikes Again. Purifi 1ET7040SA VTV Amplifier.

Lord Victor

Are there any news regarding the availability of the modules to regular cutomers? Its been out for a while now it seem, with not even a post on their website from what I can tell...

al2002

Anyone know if the 7040 modules will be available for DIY? I can t find this info on the Purifi website.

Last edited:

Lord Victor

Anyone know if the 7040 modules will be available for DIY? I can t find this info on themPurifi website.
Someone mentioned that they'd heard its the plan, but they are simply prioritizing supplying manufacturers first, and once they build up stock, they will start selling to consumers. But whether this is true or not, I have no way to know, as I've seen no official info so far.

It also still seems up in the air whether the new modules are actually better or not for normal usecases.

Lord Victor

My understanding is that these modules will be OEM only.
Damn... That'd be real upsetting. Was worried they'd pull another hypeX move and only make the lowest tier module available. Just hoped it'd be different here since Bruno specifically talked about wanting to make it all available to consumers at the start, in order to keep manufacturers honest with their prices. Shame if that got lost since then.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Damn... That'd be real upsetting. Was worried they'd pull another hypeX move and only make the lowest tier module available. Just hoped it'd be different here since Bruno specifically talked about wanting to make it all available to consumers at the start, in order to keep manufacturers honest with their prices. Shame if that got lost since then.
Where did you get this information about the will to make it available to DIYers?

SamR

Reading this review from the launch and it’s clear it will not be available to DIYers:

I agree that it’s unfortunate — and odd!

Just ordered an Apollon 4-ch with this module to replace a McIntosh MI254…

beantownT

Wow you did?
Reading this review from the launch and it’s clear it will not be available to DIYers:

I agree that it’s unfortunate — and odd!

Just ordered an Apollon 4-ch with this module to replace a McIntosh MI254…
Wow!! Early adopter! I have their hypex 2 channel 1200wpc@2ohm PNC1200 and I get a significant hiss from my tweeter.

Although I can’t hear it from the main listening position, you can hear the hiss from a foot away! Sadly tibor and team are claiming that the PNC 1200 is too powerful and hence the hiss -

purifi 7040a theoretically have better noise floor but there is no review or detailed measurements. As someone said, it’s not just the amp but it’s implementation

Best of luck

Last edited:

SamR

Wow you did?

Wow!! Early adopter! I have their puriri 2 channel 1200wpc@2ohm PNC1200 and I get a significant hiss from my tweeter.

Although I can’t hear it from the main listening position, you can hear the hiss from a foot away! Sadly tibor and team are claiming that the PNC 1200 is too powerful and hence the hiss -

purifi 7040a theoretically have better noise floor but there is no review or tomorrow u lucky available measurements. As someone said, it’s not just the amp but it’s implementation

Best of luck
What speakers are you driving? If they are very efficient, then yes, you’ll get background noise, even with the best amp available. The 1200 would be overkill for all but the lowest efficiency (dB in the ~80s) drivers. It’s good to have ample headroom, but you can overdo it with negative effects.

But if you don’t hear it from the listening position then who cares?

In my case, I’ll be driving 4 surround channels with fairly efficient (92dB/8ohm) drivers. And this module is a lot less powerful than the 1200.

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Someone mentioned that they'd heard its the plan, but they are simply prioritizing supplying manufacturers first, and once they build up stock, they will start selling to consumers. But whether this is true or not, I have no way to know, as I've seen no official info so far.

It also still seems up in the air whether the new modules are actually better or not for normal usecases.

Maybe you are getting confused with the 1ET9040BA, which will be also available for the DIY market.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Wow you did?

Wow!! Early adopter! I have their puriri 2 channel 1200wpc@2ohm PNC1200 and I get a significant hiss from my tweeter.

purifi 7040a theoretically have better noise floor but there is no review or tomorrow u lucky available measurements. As someone said, it’s not just the amp but it’s implementation

Best of luck
PNC1200 is Hypex based, typo I guess.
7040 noise floor is not it's strongest point, even if very reasonable.

mocenigo

Major Contributor
7040 gives you -100 dB SINAD for 600W in 2 Ohms. At 700W it is still better than 16 bits resolution. It starts clipping at 750W but I bet you do not yet hear it clipping at 1000 W (-40 dB = 1%)
Compared to a 1ET400A, it doesn't bring a lot for loads impedance staying above 3.3 Ohm, this is true. But below this, it is a completely different animal.
Acording to Purifi, the slight performance degradation is due to the bigger FETs that are quite tricky to drive.

That's why I designed my speakers with nominal 8 Ω and no dips below 5 Ω ;-)

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow you did?

Best of luck
Below is the comparison of some modules. Left side shows that NCx500 and Nilai should have lowest noise floor.

index.php

SamR

7040 noise floor is not it's strongest point, even if very reasonable.
I am not getting any background noise with the McIntosh MI254 (NC500), even with my ear against the tweeter. Would you expect the same from the 7040? These speakers are very close to the listening position and I would not accept higher noise than the NC500.
They are 92dB (~8 ohm).

beantownT

Maybe you are getting confused with the 1ET9040BA, which will be also available for the DIY market.
Sorry I meant hypex

@sam my speakers are Gershman acoustic’s avant-garde. They are rated 87dB and usually goes down to 6ohm. Surprised that there’s such a hiss

SamR

Thanks for the chart. Actually it shows that NC500 & UCD400 have the highest noise floor in the ~10-100W range, which is where most drivers will be.

SamR

Sorry I meant hypex

@sam my speakers are Gershman acoustic’s avant-garde. They are rated 87dB and usually goes down to 6ohm. Surprised that there’s such a hiss
Agreed. That is surprising. There’s no defect with the amp?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the chart. Actually it shows that NC500 & UCD400 have the highest noise floor in the ~10-100W range, which is where most drivers will be.
Between 10-100W includes distortion artifacts, and is already mid powered. The hiss we hear when the system is idle is below 1W.

SamR

THD is not the only cause of hiss though. Hiss at idle has more to do with power supply quality, and incoming AC power, and the quality of the rest of the circuit in the signal path. You won’t hear a difference in background noise between an amp with THD of .0025 and .005.

Lord Victor

Where did you get this information about the will to make it available to DIYers?
Not about this specific module, but Bruno has stated amongs other places, in interviews like Darko Audio Podcast that it was their intent that the Purifi modules should be available, such that manufacturers would have to actually offer a worthwhile proposition, not just put the board in a box and charge an obscene amount.

Top Bottom