• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Brief description (with pictures) of my Touchscreen Pi based PicorePlayer streamer...

OP
antcollinet

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just curious about the portions talking about the server (LMS), and the fact that the OP mentions the locally stored files are on a NAS. Couldn't you just run LMS on the NAS? It seems the picoreplayer *can* be both server (LMS) and player (endpoint), but if all your files are stored and accessed from the NAS, couldn't you run the LMS there? And, importantly, isn't the NAS the box you probably want running almost 24/7 anyways? Reason I ask is b/c I already have all my files moved on to a celeron powered linux server running as my NAS with a 2TB drive for music files (I looked at plex for music and audio too). Besides the RPi endpoints, you can still get nifty Logitech endpoints on the used market.
For those that wonder what this buys you vs just network share or DLNA, the PiCorePLayer or other LMS / Squeeze based players have [limited] streaming clients on the same UI (Spotify, etc).
LMS is no longer supported on Synology past version 7. I don't know how easy it is to run in docker - or even if it is possible now on DSM 7.

It was just easier to set it up on the PI. It is essentially an out of box install, and makes it a single box "appliance". The NAS is not actually needed - I could simply put the music on local storage.

OP
antcollinet

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My media is on a Synology NAS, but I run LMS in a container on a virtual ubuntu Linux server. It's very easy to get containers up an running (including LMS) using DockSTARTer.
Do I understand correctly that you are running Ubuntu in virtual machine manager, then running Docker/DockSTARTer and LMS in that (or are you using the Synology docker system?)

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I love it when people do really great things without spending a ton of money.

georgist

At the request of Adam, here:
https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/fan-less-silent-pc.41114/post-1487232

here is a short description of the Pi based streamer I built.

Components:

Raspberry PI 3b (Made redundant when I upgraded my media player to a PI4.
Official power supply
Official 7inch touch screen
OneNineDesign Raspberry Pi LCD Touchscreen Case
90degree micro usb connector for PSU connection.
SD Card
Music output is via USB direct to my MiniDSP Flex
Had had a squeezebox classic that had LAN to an LMS server and output into a Rega Brio analogue amp, that in turn fed two passive speakers (Kef q-series).

I'm technically proficient with many years using linux, so installing / setting up piCore shouldn't be a problem.
I've got a server on 24/7 that runs LMS so no need for clients to have storage for music.
I'm very much not proficient when it comes to audio setup.
picore / lms is attractive as a cheap way to get my hifi back online, but I want to try to get good quality at a budget of around $500 USD or less.
I can probably figure out rpi 4b stuff to buy to achieve fanless, but would welcome info on CPU required.
Main question: is the best idea to run USB out the back of RPI into a DAC, then feed that into the AMP?
If so which DAC will get me reasonable bang for buck on say $350 USD left over. Willing to go a little more if there is a step change to be had.
Hope that's all clear and thanks in advance for anyone who replies!

audio_tony

Addicted to Fun and Learning
And obviously you "can" just turn LMS off, but there's a small risk (as with almost any other Linux setup) that you'll get a file corruption if a write was in progress.

If that happens you can just rebuild the database...
The ext4 file system is a journaling file system, and should be immune to sudden power loss.

I have frequently powered my Linux boxes off accidentally and I've yet to encounter file system corruption.

I've even managed to power off my main server accidentally on occasion (that's running RAID with ext4) and had no issues.

Generally, I think filesystem issues with the Pi is caused by a bad SD card.

OP
antcollinet

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've got a server on 24/7 that runs LMS so no need for clients to have storage for music.

You can either use your server, or you can setup both server and client on one pi under picore player.
My server can no longer run LMS so I do the latter, but if you already have an LMS server it is probably simpler to just run the player on the PI.

I can probably figure out rpi 4b stuff to buy to achieve fanless, but would welcome info on CPU required.

I'm running it on a Pi3. I have a plan to set up a player on a Pi zero 2w - which I believe has the same CPU. That would make a very low cost option.

Main question: is the best idea to run USB out the back of RPI into a DAC, then feed that into the AMP?
That is what I do.

However Amir has also tested and recommended a DAC hat which fits the Pi2 for less than $50. Performance not quite as good as an external DAC, but inaudibly so.

If you want to go with an external DAC, you won't go wrong with a Shiit Modi3+ at around $100

Or a topping E30 at a similar price.

georgist

thanks, I'm thinking of getting raspberry pi 4b 1gb + power supply, then I'll try with a DAC I already have, if I can get it all working satisfactorily I'll probably then shell out for one of the above in Jan sales.
I can get my hands on a 4b for $60 CAD, any reason not to use this vs pi version 3? I'm hoping I can cool this passively, I really don't want another fan.

Guermantes

thanks, I'm thinking of getting raspberry pi 4b 1gb + power supply, then I'll try with a DAC I already have, if I can get it all working satisfactorily I'll probably then shell out for one of the above in Jan sales.
I can get my hands on a 4b for $60 CAD, any reason not to use this vs pi version 3? I'm hoping I can cool this passively, I really don't want another fan.
The RPi4 does run considerably hotter than the 3, so some passive cooling (e.g. heatsink) would be beneficial. Also look at Archimago's CRAAP settings for config.txt which will make it run cooler by underclocking:

georgist

The RPi4 does run considerably hotter than the 3, so some passive cooling (e.g. heatsink) would be beneficial. Also look at Archimago's CRAAP settings for config.txt which will make it run cooler by underclocking:
Interesting, thanks for the link to Archimago, very useful.
After reading that I'm asking myself: why get a pi4 when pi3 will run cooler and has enough cpu? On answer might be the pi3 is hard to find!

OP
antcollinet

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting, thanks for the link to Archimago, very useful.
After reading that I'm asking myself: why get a pi4 when pi3 will run cooler and has enough cpu? On answer might be the pi3 is hard to find!
I'm running a Pi4 as a media server (Libreelec) for video without heatsink, and don't have any problems, even decoding x265.

Audio has much lower cpu load, I think you'll be fine.

Guermantes

I'm running a Pi4 as a media server (Libreelec) for video without heatsink, and don't have any problems, even decoding x265.

Audio has much lower cpu load, I think you'll be fine.
Climate could be an issue as our summers hover around 30°C . . . Anyway, I run the RPi4 for just music duties and it does idle at a much higher temp than the RPi3.

Top Bottom