• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bridge

SNAK3

How do i bridge my proart pp7160 power amplifier. ie the two red or red and black speaker sockets..

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When you bridge, you're driving the two channels in antiphase, so one goes positive wrt ground and the other goes negative. Consequently, you connect the loudspeaker between the two red terminals and ignore the black.

The two channels then have to be driven from a phase-splitter of some sort. This is built-in to amplifiers with a 'bridging' function, or has to be external if the amplifier hasn't that function. All stereo amplifiers except those that are already made as Bridge-Tied Load amplifiers can be bridged with an external phase splitter. This can be as simple as a transformer or using the two legs of a centre-tapped balanced output.

S.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I didn't find much on the Internet about that amplifier, but from what I found, it's mono.

You can't bridge a mono amplifier.

...Except some amplifiers are built as bridge amps (two opposing "hot" signals to the speaker with no ground to the speaker). You CAN have a stereo amp with two permanently bridged outputs. Or, some 4-channel amps can be bridged to make a stereo amp.

If it's a stereo amp, I wouldn't bother unless it has a "bridge" switch built-in (to flip the polarity of one channel). Or, if it has balanced inputs it would be relatively easy to solder-up a polarity-inverting adapter. But... I probably still wouldn't do it.

And you need to check the owners manual to make sure the impedance of your speakers are compatible with bridged mode. The minimum impedance is doubled when bridged. If the amp is rated for 4-Ohms in regular stereo mode, you can't have less than 8-Ohms when bridged.

Last edited:

coonmanx

I didn't find much on the Internet about that amplifier, but from what I found, it's mono.

You can't bridge a mono amplifier.

...Except some amplifiers are built as bridge amps (two opposing "hot" signals to the speaker with no ground to the speaker). You CAN have a stereo amp with two permanently bridged outputs. Or, some 4-channel amps can be bridged to make a stereo amp.

If it's a stereo amp, I wouldn't bother unless it has a "bridge" switch built-in (to flip the polarity of one channel). Or, if it has balanced inputs it would be relatively easy to solder-up a polarity-inverting adapter. But... I probably still wouldn't do it.

And you need to check the owners manual to make sure the impedance of your speakers are compatible with bridged mode. The minimum impedance is doubled when bridged. If the amp is rated for 4-Ohms in regular stereo mode, you can't have less than 8-Ohms when bridged.
Apparently that is not exactly true. This video on YouTube shows that it has stereo outputs. Also there is some sort of bridging switch on the back of it. Of course a manual would be really helpful...

Screenshot at 2024-03-23 11-01-30.png

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Assuming it really is the one in the pix, the usual way would be to move the switch to bridged/mono and connect speakers across the two red terminals.

Top Bottom