• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

BoXem Arthur 4515/E2 Or icepower 1200as2 ?

Lydiomani

Hi.
Im totally new when it comes to class d amps, and on top of that got little experience with power amps.
Today im picking up my new Vienna acoustics Beethoven concert grand symphony edition speakers. They are 4ohm speakers, and recommended watts is 50-300w
My prosessor is marantz 7703.

Right now i got the option to Get a icepower 1200as2 stereo build new, or i can Get a second hand Boxem Arthur 4515/E2 purifi. Boxem will be a littlebit cheaper for me.

Is the Boxem more than enough power ? Any white noise ? Which One is gonna give the least clinical sound ? And be more lively

Thanks for all help

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome to ASR. In your place I would choose the BoXem with Purifi for sure. Should be enough power and lowest noise and distortion, excellent build.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Have tried both and I end up with Ice (1200as2-300a2 now but have tried 1200as2 alone for months)
But I have a big room and big speakers,so maybe your use case doesn't need the power.

OP
L

Lydiomani

Vienna acoustics Beethoven concert grand symphony edition speakers
recommended 50-300 watts. Its a 4 Ohm floorstanding speaker.
I sit about 3,5 - 4 m away from them

D17F42F4-02E7-4BE3-B2AF-F7B8B2B221C6.jpeg

Reactions: CMB

JSmith

Master Contributor
Is the Boxem more than enough power ?
Yes... if you're getting a good price there, no brainer, buy it (assuming you trust the seller). @boXem | audio is a member of this forum as well, so support if needed will be excellent.
Which One is gonna give the least clinical sound ?
Not sure what you mean here... a transparent amp has no "sound", which is the whole point of hifi. Start with transparent source devices... adjust from there to taste if required. It's not wise to have a distortion profile baked into a product.

Oh and welcome to ASR. :)

JSmith

OP
L

Lydiomani

I got someone else that is saying that its all coming down to price and how much power i need. He agrees that Boxem with purifi is better in many aspects, but Icepower 1200as2 got more power and will play 6db louder.

I just want my speakers to produce good punch all the way. They are on the warm side, so i need a power amp that can push them to produce clarity and punch.

The question is still, is Boxem powerfull enough to make my speakers Come alive and make me feel a good punch on movies and music ?

The speakers will be standing in my living room, 4x5m size

Sokel

Master Contributor
I got someone else that is saying that its all coming down to price and how much power i need. He agrees that Boxem with purifi is better in many aspects, but Icepower 1200as2 got more power and will play 6db louder.

I just want my speakers to produce good punch all the way. They are on the warm side, so i need a power amp that can push them to produce clarity and punch.

The question is still, is Boxem powerfull enough to make my speakers Come alive and make me feel a good punch on movies and music ?

The speakers will be standing in my living room, 4x5m size
If punch is your preference (as mine) get the ICE.
(but not get to carried away,speakers have limits!)

OP
L

Lydiomani

Was tired of thinking about it back and forward. Went for the Boxem Seems like it will give all what my speakers need, and its so neat with the extra adjust options, auto on off, and ofc very very wife approved design... She dont wanna see anything, this i can hide, hehe :D

Thanks for all the inputs and help :)

OP
L

Lydiomani

Can i just Ask one more question. Do boxem have a 3 channel amp also ? the one i bought now will power front speakers. In the future im gonna buy the vienna center and back speakers, and will need 3 channel amp for them, or 2+1 amp.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can i just Ask one more question. Do boxem have a 3 channel amp also ? the one i bought now will power front speakers. In the future im gonna buy the vienna center and back speakers, and will need 3 channel amp for them, or 2+1 amp.
@boXem | audio maybe he can answer directly if that’s a possibility in the future

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No it won’t! It will just make your speakers smell bad. They won’t handle 1200w, of which more than 99% will be converted to heat. Also excursion wise, they won’t handle this.

The Boxem will be more than fine and is the better amp. It will give you about 113dB at your listening position, which is a whole lot of loud.

mcdn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If punch is your preference (as mine) get the ICE.
(but not get to carried away,speakers have limits!)
This is a silly thing to say - more absolute power doesn't get you more "punch". Unless you specifically know a certain amp doesn't have the power to deliver the voltage gain at a certain frequency to a certain speaker, you're just spouting rubbish.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No it won’t! It will just make your speakers smell bad. They won’t handle 1200w, of which more than 99% will be converted to heat. Also excursion wise, they won’t handle this.

The Boxem will be more than fine and is the better amp. It will give you about 113dB at your listening position, which is a whole lot of loud.

It’s more like 100 dB per speaker anechoic.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Not for the moment. Fitting 2 channels in the little WA box is hard enough, I have to design and validate a bigger one for multichannel and very high power amps. Not for 2022.

Sokel

Master Contributor
This is a silly thing to say - more absolute power doesn't get you more "punch". Unless you specifically know a certain amp doesn't have the power to deliver the voltage gain at a certain frequency to a certain speaker, you're just spouting rubbish.
Not exactly.
That's two similar amps with only power to differ,take a look,repeated that test 20 times.

mcdn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Not exactly.
That's two similar amps with only power to differ,take a look,repeated that test 20 times.

Your claim is that two amps driving the same speakers, both amps within their power envelopes, show significant in-room response differences. Your linked post shows some differences in the bass but says it was a "sloppy test". In-room bass response is hugely dependent on physical factors, so you need to provide a report and setup that others can replicate before it's believable.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Your claim is that two amps driving the same speakers, both amps within their power envelopes, show significant in-room response differences. Your linked post shows some differences in the bass but says it was a "sloppy test". In-room bass response is hugely dependent on physical factors, so you need to provide a report and setup that others can replicate before it's believable.
I provided evidence,haven't touch anything in the room during the measurement and when I say sloppy I mean that I don't use a Klippel but humble REW.
This is my active setup so I just swap the cables,that's the only difference.
Levels are dead on,you can see it.
And yes,it's the low's distortion,to my 83-84db sensitivity woofers it makes a difference.

Edit:Idon't know if you can read measurements,but that's not the response,that's the distortion.
Response is nearly identical.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s more like 100 dB per speaker anechoic.
Yeah, but he’s not listening in an anechoic chamber, is he?I calculated 2 speakers, near back wall, 3m distance.

Top Bottom